Benefits of type of memory used- SD or CF?

Old August 17th 05, 12:28 PM
Mike Warren

John Bean wrote:
Yebbut... going back to why I queried what you said:

I thought it was bad enough that the salesman I had explained to
me that the D70s viewfinder was dark with no battery because
it closes the aperture when the battery is removed.

It was obvious by the DOF that that wasn't the case and it looked
to me like it is the LCD in the viewfinder going dark when power
is removed.

I still don't see how the LCD displaying the exposure data
etc. has any effect on the brightness of the viewfinder.
From the context ("It was obvious by the DOF" etc) it seems
you were talking about the image not the data display being
dark.

The display has a grid which can be switched on as well as focus
and metering graphics. The liquid crystals actually cover the whole
viewfinder. I'm not talking about the display along the bottom of the
viewfinder although I expect its all part of the same LCD panel.

-Mike

Old August 17th 05, 12:39 PM
John Bean

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:28:44 +1000, "Mike Warren"
wrote:

John Bean wrote:
Yebbut... going back to why I queried what you said:

I thought it was bad enough that the salesman I had explained to
me that the D70s viewfinder was dark with no battery because
it closes the aperture when the battery is removed.

It was obvious by the DOF that that wasn't the case and it looked
to me like it is the LCD in the viewfinder going dark when power
is removed.

I still don't see how the LCD displaying the exposure data
etc. has any effect on the brightness of the viewfinder.
From the context ("It was obvious by the DOF" etc) it seems
you were talking about the image not the data display being
dark.

The display has a grid which can be switched on as well as focus
and metering graphics. The liquid crystals actually cover the whole
viewfinder. I'm not talking about the display along the bottom of the
viewfinder although I expect its all part of the same LCD panel.

Gotcha. It was hard to grasp without seeing one but now I
understand exactly what you mean - you're looking through an
overlaid LCD which can of course effect the image
brightness.

--
Regards

John Bean

Old August 17th 05, 03:37 PM
SMS

Mike Warren wrote:
aj wrote:

Does one type of memory (CF or SD) have an advantage over the other
in terms of image quality, performance or other?

There is no real advantage between the formats for the average user.
That said, individual models may be better.

Here are some points to consider:

1) Does the card need to be compatible with other equipment.
For example, some laptops and PDAs have SD slots making
transfer neater since it is not necessary to hang a card reader off it.

Good point, though the SD card readers built into laptops are slower
than a Cardbus 32 bit reader that you put into the Cardbus slot of the
notebook.

2) Do you want to use the card in other cameras. Most dSLRs use CF.

3)Capacity. CF is available in larger sizes. That being said, most serious
photographers (amateur and professional) would prefer to use 2 or 3 cards
on a shoot as protection against loss or failure.

4) It is harder to damage the connections on a SD card slot. It is possible
insert a CF card sideways and bend the pins in the reader or camera. My
local photolab has about half their CF readers on their kiosks out of
commission at any one time due to customers damaging the pins.

5) Some people like the fact that CF is larger because they are harder to
lose.

One issue with SD is the problem with the in-camera card readers. We've
seen SD cameras that cannot write to any SD card because the camera
'thinks' that the card has been write-protected. It's a funky mechanism
that reads the position of the little tab for write-protection. CF has
no mechanical write-protection.
Old August 17th 05, 05:35 PM
pltrgyst

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:06:33 +1000, "Mike Warren"
wrote:

1) Does the card need to be compatible with other equipment.
For example, some laptops and PDAs have SD slots making
transfer neater since it is not necessary to hang a card reader off it.

.... and some have CF slots.

-- Larry

Old August 17th 05, 09:44 PM
DoN. Nichols

BJ in Texas wrote:
wrote:
|| I don't know what kinda salesman would say that CF provides
|| 'better picture' quality???
|| Wow.
|| T.

One that works on commission and the commission is higher on
the SD... :-)

Well ... he was apparently pushing the CF, not the SD, so reverse
that.

Or -- the commission is higher on the camera which uses CF
instead of SD? (E.g Nikon D70s vs Nikon D50 for two otherwise quite
similar cameras.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 18th 05, 10:57 PM
no one

aj wrote:

"Mike Warren" wrote in
eenews.net:

aj wrote:

Does one type of memory (CF or SD) have an advantage over the other
in terms of image quality, performance or other?

There is no real advantage between the formats for the average user.
That said, individual models may be better.

Thanks Mike--a salesman was trying to sell me a story that the CF memory
gave better quality photos. I'm glad I didn't avoid buying a Nikon D50 on
that basis. Looking forward to getting a 1gig high speed SD Sandisk in the
near future. :-)

I wonder why Nikon chose a different media for the D50 than they use in
all their other dslrs?
Old August 19th 05, 03:36 AM
DoN. Nichols

no one wrote:
aj wrote:

"Mike Warren" wrote in
eenews.net:

aj wrote:

Does one type of memory (CF or SD) have an advantage over the other
in terms of image quality, performance or other?

There is no real advantage between the formats for the average user.
That said, individual models may be better.

[ ... ]

Thanks Mike--a salesman was trying to sell me a story that the CF memory
gave better quality photos. I'm glad I didn't avoid buying a Nikon D50 on

[ ... ]

I wonder why Nikon chose a different media for the D50 than they use in
all their other dslrs?

At a guess -- two reasons:

1) The D50 body is smaller, so the SD drive takes up less of the
camera's internal volume, perhaps resulting in pretty much the
same amount of crowding. (You can't shrink the mirror/shutter
assembly without shrinking the sensor, which they did not do.)

2) As the D50 is intended to be an entry-level DSLR, it might be
that they expected more of their new customers to already have
SD cards from previous digital P&S cameras.

My personal preference is for the CF size for several reasons
which have been documented earlier in this thread (or another on the
same subject.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564