e-bay gone nuts

Old July 20th 05, 05:41 AM
SteveJ

Default e-bay gone nuts

Have you ever looked lately for a Camera on e-bay hopefully to find an
individual selling a used one for a reduced price or almost new. Now the
damn crook sellers have over several pages with the same listing over and
over.
I have seen over a full page of the same add listing a Canon 20D 50 listing
long. E-bay to me was for selling or buying from a individual person
wanting to sell or buy their items. I used to like to browse through the
listings now I need to go through allot of crap just to find a listing that
seems good to read through.
To me if there is a listing repeated over a few times it should go to a
e-bay store to keep the normal listings clean of all their crap. Most of
them are crooks anyway.

Old July 20th 05, 05:50 AM
Frank ess

SteveJ wrote:
Have you ever looked lately for a Camera on e-bay hopefully to find
an
individual selling a used one for a reduced price or almost new. Now
the damn crook sellers have over several pages with the same listing
over and over.
I have seen over a full page of the same add listing a Canon 20D 50
listing long. E-bay to me was for selling or buying from a
individual person wanting to sell or buy their items. I used to like
to browse through the listings now I need to go through allot of
crap just to find a listing that seems good to read through.
To me if there is a listing repeated over a few times it should go
a e-bay store to keep the normal listings clean of all their crap.
Most of them are crooks anyway.

Back when I knew about such things, eBay had a policy against any one
seller having more than ten identical items listed at the same time.
You could complain and eBay would close the extras, at least, and
sometimes all of them. I bet that doesn't happen much these days.

I agree that the joy of hunter-gathering on eBay is nearly gone. When
sellers didn't know what they had, and buyers eagerly relieved them of
the responsibility to find out, it was surely more fun. Actually it
isn't that much different today, except everyone knows the value of
everything, if they take the trouble to learn and use their tools and
knowledge. But it isn't as much fun as often.

--
Frank ess

Old July 20th 05, 08:07 AM
Canongirly

And have you actually complained to eBay about multiple listing sellers?
(many are drop shippers...not crooks anyway).

Or did you think you'd just whine your ass off here to a community who are
made up of many individuals some or many of whom have the intelligence and
sense to be able to use the filters on eBay to sift most of what you
perceive to be a problem outta the way in the first place?

As an aside I used to go to local general auctions to buy trinkets and stuff
to sell on eBay (and Yahoo auctions before eBay acquired that). But I
stopped when lots of other people without a clue and too much money started
turning up and bidding up the prices, in many cases way over full retail
price, for stuff at them. Isn't popularity a bitch?

It is imo only a matter of time before manufacturers of globally available
products will either cease to supply bricks and mortar stores or to devise a
pricing structure whereby it doesn't matter where in the world you buy x
product the cost is the same.

In the meantime consumer is still king and if you have the ability, sense
and funds to research your purchase probably bargains are still to be had.
Whether by taking advantage of exchange rates or hard negotiating skills in
a bricks and mortar store in your home country.

Old July 20th 05, 09:21 AM
RichA

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:07:02 +0100, "Canongirly" wrote:

And have you actually complained to eBay about multiple listing sellers?
(many are drop shippers...not crooks anyway).

Or did you think you'd just whine your ass off here to a community who are
made up of many individuals some or many of whom have the intelligence and
sense to be able to use the filters on eBay to sift most of what you
perceive to be a problem outta the way in the first place?

Ebay is a hole. It's rife with fraud, shill bidding, crank deals,
illegal sale of merchandise and Ebay could care less.
Of course, the sleaze who run Ebay will NEVER divulge
the level of this kind of thing in print, although anyone who takes
the time can see it. Anyone who has done any level of deals on Ebay
has seen it. Even seller/buyer ratings mean nothing because
if you get burned, post a complaint comment, the other party can do it
right back and there is nothing to stop them. Which means the crooks
get off scott free.
Ebay could EASILY develop or have software developed to root out much
of this kind of thing, but they don't care!
-Rich

Old July 20th 05, 01:00 PM
Siggy

In ,
Canongirly scwibbled:
see those toys fly out the pram

and not a single dSLR among them. ;-)

Nigel_H

Old July 20th 05, 02:53 PM
Cheesehead

I still find regular bargains.
Got a black Pentax KX in good shape with a 135 lens for $45 a few weeks
ago.
Made other good purchases recently as well. And I sell a fair amount
of stuff (dpconsult.com), as do my sons.

We try to run a good business and treat customers fairly. A few
mistakes have been made but I take care of my customers. Many have
been return purchasers.

It's too bad that the crooks don't realize the gold mine that is eBay.
There's a lot of money to be made by being honest. I do $thousands per
year and only part-time. It's worth every second.

The large-scale scoundrels have been causing problems in the modern
tech world ever since World Power Systems advertised fake computer
deals in 1978/79. (Yes, I know they've been around longer than that.)
Shutterbug, Computer Shopper, and so many others in print have run ads
from the scoundrels. Just look in Popular Photography. It's no
different than eBay. PP takes their money just the same.

Be a smart shopper and you'll rarely lose.

Collin

Old July 21st 05, 04:56 AM
Father Kodak

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:21:43 -0400, RichA wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:07:02 +0100, "Canongirly" wrote:

And have you actually complained to eBay about multiple listing sellers?
(many are drop shippers...not crooks anyway).

Or did you think you'd just whine your ass off here to a community who are
made up of many individuals some or many of whom have the intelligence and
sense to be able to use the filters on eBay to sift most of what you
perceive to be a problem outta the way in the first place?

Ebay is a hole. It's rife with fraud, shill bidding, crank deals,
illegal sale of merchandise and Ebay could care less.

Really? Can you cite at least one specific example, and perhaps some
suggestions for how we can avoid these paskudnyaks.

Of course, the sleaze who run Ebay will NEVER divulge
the level of this kind of thing in print, although anyone who takes
the time can see it. Anyone who has done any level of deals on Ebay

How can we detect it?

has seen it. Even seller/buyer ratings mean nothing because
if you get burned, post a complaint comment, the other party can do it
right back and there is nothing to stop them. Which means the crooks
get off scott free.

Today they just announced record earnings. So they must be crying all
the way to the bank.

-Rich

Old July 21st 05, 06:43 PM
RichA

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:56:25 -0700, Father Kodak
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:21:43 -0400, RichA wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:07:02 +0100, "Canongirly" wrote:

And have you actually complained to eBay about multiple listing sellers?
(many are drop shippers...not crooks anyway).

Or did you think you'd just whine your ass off here to a community who are
made up of many individuals some or many of whom have the intelligence and
sense to be able to use the filters on eBay to sift most of what you
perceive to be a problem outta the way in the first place?

Ebay is a hole. It's rife with fraud, shill bidding, crank deals,
illegal sale of merchandise and Ebay could care less.

Really? Can you cite at least one specific example, and perhaps some
suggestions for how we can avoid these paskudnyaks.

I know of one case of shill bidding in the amount of $18,000 for a
car, but I won't say who. The problem is proving it, the other party
could very well claim they were interested in the product, they just
didn't win the bidding. How can you attack it?
Also, there have been noted cases of people selling things like Canon
20Ds for $500 and I'm sure we put lots of stock into the legitimacy of
those. Check out the DVDs for people selling DVD-Rs of popular movies.
I somehow doubt it's legal.

Of course, the sleaze who run Ebay will NEVER divulge
the level of this kind of thing in print, although anyone who takes
the time can see it. Anyone who has done any level of deals on Ebay

How can we detect it?

Bounce back and forth between the seller and who has bought from
him before. Look for lots of bids on an item from accounts that were
just set up and have no history. It's obviously not a guaranteed way
of ferreting out the frauds, but it allows you to avoid some that may
be more obvious than others.
I think the key indicator of any fraud is someone selling something
for vastly less than others are, why would someone give something away
when that item's history dictates it will bring much more?
Keep and eye on the "buy it now" prices.

has seen it. Even seller/buyer ratings mean nothing because
if you get burned, post a complaint comment, the other party can do it
right back and there is nothing to stop them. Which means the crooks
get off scott free.

Today they just announced record earnings. So they must be crying all
the way to the bank.

They do very well, and they do not want to rock the boat
when it comes to their image so don't expect any divulging of fraud
figures.
-Rich

-Rich