Selection Dilemma: D-70 or 20D

Old January 6th 05, 05:18 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Abhinav Modi wrote:
The other issue, 3MP FZ3 instead of 4/5 MP for FZ15/20 respectively,

is
something which I am hoping will not dissappoint me, as newarly all
pictures will be for online sharing and not printing.

I hope I am making the right decision in going with the FZ3, which

will
be around $100 less than FZ15 (The max I really could spend - after
stretching a lot ) and $200 or so less than (FZ20) ?

I would choose the FZ3 over the FZ15/20 only if the bulk of the camera
was an issue for me. It won't be an issue for me but definitely for my
wife. So for her, I would get the FZ3.

As you mention using the camera for mostly online photo sharing, I
doubt 3MP vs 4/5MP will matter much for you. For web sharing, even 2MP
cameras produce nice pics. So if you are on a tight budget, go ahead
and get the FZ3.

- Siddhartha

Old January 6th 05, 05:21 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Owamanga wrote:
Thread confusion. I was looking at *addons* for the FZ20, to see how
it compares if you wanted to retain some of the flexibility of an

SLR.
They *do* offer lenses that can be added to the FZ20, both a wide and
a tele-zoom. My comments are just that these lenses are *damn*
expensive for what they are, and it would seem they are not made by
Leica either.

Put some Panasonic/3rd-party glass in front of Leica? Never!!

And then, I guess the 12x zoom ought to be enough for most P&S
shooters.

- Siddhartha

Old January 6th 05, 05:34 PM
Abhinav Modi

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Abhinav Modi wrote:

The other issue, 3MP FZ3 instead of 4/5 MP for FZ15/20 respectively,

is

something which I am hoping will not dissappoint me, as newarly all
pictures will be for online sharing and not printing.

I hope I am making the right decision in going with the FZ3, which

will

be around $100 less than FZ15 (The max I really could spend - after
stretching a lot ) and $200 or so less than (FZ20) ?

I would choose the FZ3 over the FZ15/20 only if the bulk of the camera
was an issue for me. It won't be an issue for me but definitely for my
wife. So for her, I would get the FZ3.

As you mention using the camera for mostly online photo sharing, I
doubt 3MP vs 4/5MP will matter much for you. For web sharing, even 2MP
cameras produce nice pics. So if you are on a tight budget, go ahead
and get the FZ3.

Thanks ! Sorry for pestering you a bit more, but will the lack of manual
controls (found on FZ15/20) be a major stumbling block for my learning
? I just want to make sure that it will "last" for a decent amount of
time. ( I realize that there will be some loss - everything comes for a
price ..but I would want to be able to learn with it for a coupls of
years at least )

(The fact that the cameras are not available here in India readily, and
I have to make a decision and ask someone in the US to buy it for me, is
one reason for me having to cross check so much I will not be able
to look at the camera before actually purchasing it..)

Thanks
Abhinav
Old January 6th 05, 05:46 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Abhinav Modi wrote:
Thanks ! Sorry for pestering you a bit more, but will the lack of

manual
controls (found on FZ15/20) be a major stumbling block for my

learning
? I just want to make sure that it will "last" for a decent amount of

time. ( I realize that there will be some loss - everything comes for

price ..but I would want to be able to learn with it for a coupls

of
years at least )

No problemo
Can you be more specific as to what's lacking in the FZ3 in terms of
manual control? I just skimped thru its review on dpreview.com and
couldn't find anything lacking for a P&S.

(The fact that the cameras are not available here in India readily,

and
I have to make a decision and ask someone in the US to buy it for me,

is
one reason for me having to cross check so much I will not be

able
to look at the camera before actually purchasing it..)

Ohh!! I see. I had to do the same for my Canon 300D. Great deal you get
in the US compared to even the grey market in India. Remember to get
enough SD/MMC cards and extra batteries. All that costs a lot too in
India. I'd also buy a Hoya or B+W UV/Skylight Filter and a C-PL. You
don't get Hoya or B+W in India.

And you are welcome to join "The Bombay Amateur Photographer's Club"
he
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tbapc/

Even if you are not in Bombay, you can join in. If you are in Bombay
and your camera makes it to India before the 14th, you can join us for
the Mumbai festival, Kala Ghoda festival and 16th's marathon shoots.
- Siddhartha

Old January 7th 05, 03:06 PM
Ken

"Bruce Graham" wrote in message

I think Panasonic only claim that the "Leica" lenses are using some Leica
design and technology - I don't think Leica actually make them for that
price.

The Panasonic FZs are using lenses designed and manufactured by Leica
in Germany which are then sent to Japan for assembly. They are the real
McCoy.

I noted in another post there are lots of alternatives to the Pana add-
ons, including good, less expensive olympus glass. I've seen reviews on
the web with add-ons from Pana, Raynox, Oly, Canon and others. The Pana
was good but expensive, heavy and bulky. The Oly was also good.

It appears that most of the people using add-on lenses with their FZs are
avoiding the Panasonic accessory lenses, mostly due to the high costs
involved. I just added a Raynox wide angle for about US $100 which
lowers my wide angle range down to around 23mm. I'm also considering
some of the Olympus and Canon Tele-converters but haven't narrowed it
down to a final choice yet. The Olympus T-Cons look pretty impressive
from the examples I have seen.