Portrait lenses selection

Old September 5th 04, 02:58 PM
Martin Francis

Default Portrait lenses selection

Okay, i've established some things lately- firstly, I can't get the Rollei
lenses I want used, so i'm going 'blad, and secondly I can't get the 'blad
FE lenses I want used, so i'm going with a 503CW. I've established that
there's an excellent Hassie used dealer about 150 miles south of me, and
that he has some great lenses. I picked up a 50mm CF FLE for a paltry £55.

Now I have to consider my lens choices. 50mm is a fine lens- I used a CT*
type for a while and I got some pretty decent shots with it. That said, my
previous favourite Nikon wide was a 35mm, so i'm considering trading my 50mm
for the 60mm. I am also considering the 100mm, as the 80mm is a little too
wide for a "normal" for my liking. My third and final choice would be a
180mm, as I'd prefer the extra bit of working distance- the marginally
better repro ratio is also a plus point. From what I read, these happen to
be amongst Zeiss' best lenses, which helps me out a lot. A few questions;

The 60mm vs. the 50mm. How does the 60 compare at closer distances? Does
anyone own both? If so, why didn't you dump one or the other?

the 100mm vs. the 120mm. I like the option to get in close without tubes
with the 120mm, however I have by doubts over it's quality across the
focusing range. What benefits are there in the 100mm over the 120mm? I like
the idea of a 60/120 two lens kit for portability with the 180mm as a
headshot lens. How useful would a 60/100 (or indeed 50/100) pairing be for
portraits?

Thanks

no, and yes...."

Old September 5th 04, 05:21 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Martin Francis
wrote:

the 100mm vs. the 120mm. I like the option to get in close without tubes
with the 120mm, however I have by doubts over it's quality across the
focusing range. What benefits are there in the 100mm over the 120mm? I like
the idea of a 60/120 two lens kit for portability with the 180mm as a
headshot lens. How useful would a 60/100 (or indeed 50/100) pairing be for
portraits?

The 50mm always worked well for me. The 60mm would be too narrow
compared to the normal 80mm. For portraits, always used the 150mm and
it gave great perspective.

Old September 6th 04, 06:37 AM
Stacey

Martin Francis wrote:

The 60mm vs. the 50mm. How does the 60 compare at closer distances? Does
anyone own both? If so, why didn't you dump one or the other?

I agree on the perspective of a 50 not working for me. It always seems too
wide but also not wide enough at the same time. I like a 40-45mm much
better for a wide lens and also like the 60mm for a "normal" lens.

the 100mm vs. the 120mm. I like the option to get in close without tubes
with the 120mm, however I have by doubts over it's quality across the
focusing range. What benefits are there in the 100mm over the 120mm? I
like the idea of a 60/120 two lens kit for portability with the 180mm as a
headshot lens.

I've read the 100mm hassy lens is really good. Isn't the 120 really slow? A
60/100 with the 180 for head shots should work if you're not into really
wide angle stuff.

--

Stacey

Old September 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Martin Francis

"Stacey" wrote in message
Martin Francis wrote:

The 60mm vs. the 50mm. How does the 60 compare at closer distances? Does
anyone own both? If so, why didn't you dump one or the other?

I agree on the perspective of a 50 not working for me. It always seems too
wide but also not wide enough at the same time. I like a 40-45mm much
better for a wide lens and also like the 60mm for a "normal" lens.

Decided it's best to wait and see- if I can swap my 50mm for a 60mm without
paying out much more, i'll do it.

the 100mm vs. the 120mm. I like the option to get in close without tubes
with the 120mm, however I have by doubts over it's quality across the
focusing range. What benefits are there in the 100mm over the 120mm? I
like the idea of a 60/120 two lens kit for portability with the 180mm as

headshot lens.

I've read the 100mm hassy lens is really good. Isn't the 120 really slow?

60/100 with the 180 for head shots should work if you're not into really
wide angle stuff.

The Hassy 120mm is f4, the 100mm is f3.5.

no, and yes...."

Old September 6th 04, 08:08 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Martin Francis wrote:

The Hassy 120mm is f4, the 100mm is f3.5.

The 120, though still a bit short, can be used to do headshots. Just about.
The 100 mm definitely is too short (unless you back away and always crop to
the center part of the 6x6 forma).