imaging software

Old December 27th 04, 04:02 AM
BNBN

Default imaging software

Hi:

I've been given a Olympus c770UZ digital camera for Christmas.

At the moment I'm using Olympus Camedia, and Picasa imaging software to
store and manipulate the images.

But what is the best imaging software to use?

And yes, I'm a novice to digital.

Thanks for helping.

Bill

Old December 27th 04, 04:03 AM
Paul Rubin

"BNBN" writes:
At the moment I'm using Olympus Camedia, and Picasa imaging software to
store and manipulate the images.

But what is the best imaging software to use?

If you're satisfied with the stuff you're using, why switch?
Old December 27th 04, 04:40 AM
Gene Palmiter

The first answer isn't bad...it will take awhile to outgrow it...and maybe
you never will. But, in answer to your question, there is only one program
that all Professionals use unless they are Luddites of some sort and that is
Photoshop...there is none better....and none more expensive. Photoshop is as
close to magic as computer programs get. It's not task oriented...it's tool
oriented. The tools are very flexible and the ways they can be combined is
endless.

But, the price! Paintshop Pro makes a good second best for far less cash.

Old December 27th 04, 09:59 AM
Mick Brown

This is pretty good stuff to start with and it's free!!

www.gimp.com

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

Old December 27th 04, 11:20 AM
Joe Makowiec

On 27 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Mick Brown wrote:

This is pretty good stuff to start with and it's free!!

www.gimp.com

If you meant theGimp, it's dot-org:

http://www.gimp.org/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Old December 27th 04, 04:49 PM
Jeremy

"BNBN" wrote in message
Hi:

I've been given a Olympus c770UZ digital camera for Christmas.

At the moment I'm using Olympus Camedia, and Picasa imaging software to
store and manipulate the images.

But what is the best imaging software to use?

And yes, I'm a novice to digital.

Thanks for helping.

Bill

If he is a novice, PSP may be overkill at this point. Depending upon how
committed he is, he might do better with something simple, that can fix
red-eye, brighten or darken, adjust contrast, etc. Maybe something with an
"auto-enhance" button that does everything at once.

Maybe the best initial choice is to use whatever came bundled with his
camera. Or Kodak Easy-Share software (free on the Kodak web site) would fit
the bill. If he prints online, OFOTO.COM offers free uploading software
that has basic tweaking tools.

I mention this because he is probably overwhelmed at all the new concepts he
has to master now that he has a digital camera (I shot film for 35 years,
and when I bought MY first digicam, it took weeks before I felt comfortable
with it. My first images were complete disasters.)

Once he has the basics under his belt, he may want to go to PSP or PhotoShop
Elements. For most consumer applications, they offer more functions than
will ever be used.