An Exercise

Old May 24th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default An Exercise

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on the
glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion I am
posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with to try
to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could not do
it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came closer in
LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

--
PeterN
Old May 24th 16, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 23 May 2016 22:44:07 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on the
glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion I am
posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with to try
to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could not do
it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came closer in
LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

Most of this is simply using dehaze in LR. I moved it to 100%.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/1f18b2
Old May 24th 16, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-05-24 02:44:07 +0000, PeterN said:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on
the glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion
I am posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with
to try to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could
not do it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came
closer in LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

It seems your big problem was using the flash, you might have done
better with your 70-200mm f/2.8 wide open.

I didn’t go the ‘Dehaze’ or LAB routes, after basic tweaks in ACR I
went to the NIK tool box to come up with this. I will try a few other
methods, but that is it for tonight.
Thanks for the opportunity to play. ;-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/PN_2801E2.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 24th 16, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2016-05-24 02:44:07 +0000, PeterN said:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on
the glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent
discussion I am posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested,
to play with to try to remove the light scatter. I will start by
saying that I could not do it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in
LAB. Though I came closer in LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

It seems your big problem was using the flash, you might have done
better with your 70-200mm f/2.8 wide open.

J know. Here is a crop from that series, without flash. I wanted to see
what happened with flash, and quickly found out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2797.jpg

Old May 24th 16, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2016-05-24 02:44:07 +0000, PeterN said:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on
the glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent
discussion I am posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested,
to play with to try to remove the light scatter. I will start by
saying that I could not do it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in
LAB. Though I came closer in LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

It seems your big problem was using the flash, you might have done
better with your 70-200mm f/2.8 wide open.

J know. Here is a crop from that series, without flash. I wanted to see
what happened with flash, and quickly found out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2797.jpg

And here is the NEF file of the above to play with, for personal use only:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2797.NEF

--
PeterN
Old May 24th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on the
glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion I am
posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with to try
to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could not do
it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came closer in
LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

Most of this is simply using dehaze in LR. I moved it to 100%.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/1f18b2

but..but..didn't we just hear how lab mode is supposed to be better
than dehaze?
Old May 24th 16, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/24/2016 9:11 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on the
glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion I am
posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with to try
to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could not do
it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came closer in
LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

Most of this is simply using dehaze in LR. I moved it to 100%.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/1f18b2

but..but..didn't we just hear how lab mode is supposed to be better
than dehaze?

Since you have such a big mouth, let's see what you can do.

--
PeterN
Old May 24th 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

This image, posted earlier in this thread was processed in LAB.
The original was not fogged. We are interested how well you bring up the
color nuances in RGB, without using any plugins.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2797.jpg

Now here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

--
PeterN
Old May 24th 16, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-05-24 02:44:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

That was much better!
Here is a crop of the plumage detail.
Check your email for my 'personal rendition'.
https://db.tt/kNHMRIRF

Savageduck

Old May 24th 16, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

Here is an image with heavy fog due to my strobe light diffusing on the
glass. It is not a good image, but in view of the recent discussion I am
posting this NEF file for anyone, who is interested, to play with to try
to remove the light scatter. I will start by saying that I could not do
it, either with the ACR fog filter, or in LAB. Though I came closer in
LAB, but had some serious color shifts.

Have fun

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20160522_zoo%20birds_2801.NEF

Most of this is simply using dehaze in LR. I moved it to 100%.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/1f18b2

but..but..didn't we just hear how lab mode is supposed to be better
than dehaze?

Since you have such a big mouth, let's see what you can do.

Nospam is 100% correct about this issue. Dehaze does not just change
settings that we have access to through the other sliders. It is an
entirely different process, and I could not even come close with
anything else. Honestly, it took about 60 seconds for my version, and
95% of the correction came from just shoving the dehaze slider all the
way over. I could have left it at that, and it would have been fine.

Dehaze also works great when you are trying to fix a photo that was
shot through glass.