The focal length to sensor size equivalency thing has to DIE!!

Old May 21st 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default The focal length to sensor size equivalency thing has to DIE!!

On 2016-05-20 19:48:44 +0000, Savageduck

On 2016-05-20 13:30:32 +0000, PAS said:
On 5/20/2016 1:20 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Le Snip

All the high end talk is all very well, but the majority of us here
are not pros with pro budgets, or independently wealthy hobbyists.
Realistically, as much as I would love to own a D5 with a bag
full of
suitable glass, I could not afford or even rationally justify such a
purchase. So I limit myself to lesser DSLRs, my current one being a
D300S, my logical upgrade to the D300S would be a D500, and I would
even settle for a D7200.
However, in my wait for a D300S successor I adopted the Fuji-X
System. I still use my D300S, but my next camera upgrade is probably
going to be a Fuji X-Pro2, or the new X-T2 when it is released.
My Fuji X-E2v4.0, and the mix of XF14mm f/2.8 & XF35mm f/1.4 primes
and 18-55mm & 55-200mm zooms suits my current photographic needs, I
don't need a FF DSLR. Then since some of this thread was in
regard to
the new Fuji 2xTC, here are a few examples of what the XF100-400mm
can do on an X-T1 with one of those inferior 16MP APS-C sensors.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Y5-100-400-723.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Y5-100-400-696.jpg

You wear it well. I really like the B&W photo, nicely done.

As much as I would love to take credit for those shots they are not
mine.
They are the work of Dave Pardue and part of his review of the XF
100-400mm in imaging-resource.com. He conducted the test drive with an
X-T1 (16MP) rather than the new X-Pro2 (24MP). He provides access
to his
test shot gallery which includes some RAW files, and I had checked and
played with a few of those RAF files.

So here is that lens review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6-r-lm-ois-wr/review/#impressions

...and

here

is his full X-T1 gallery:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/fuji-x-t1GALLERY.HTM

Well that's my next big present to myself sorted, then.

Last night I came within inches of getting the new 200-500, then I
started thinking about the weight. If I thought I would get five more
years out of it, I would have gotten that lens. I will wait for a
chance to try it for myself. My alternative is to dump all my Nikon
glass and go mirrorless.

Now you are thinking along sane lines. :-)
I have no regrets with having gone the mirrorless route.

...but, for folks locked into a photo technology and MP upward spiral
they are faced with having to make a radical change in thinking. Here is
one such story:
http://www.fujixpassion.com/2016/05/16/downgrading-to-fuji/

I know. I really enjoy WA, which was the reason I went FF. I know that
eventually I will have to go lighter, just postponing the inevitable.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-05-20 19:48:44 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-05-20 19:33:37 +0000, PeterN said:

Le Snip

Last night I came within inches of getting the new 200-500, then I
started thinking about the weight. If I thought I would get five more
years out of it, I would have gotten that lens. I will wait for a
chance to try it for myself. My alternative is to dump all my Nikon
glass and go mirrorless.

Now you are thinking along sane lines. :-)
I have no regrets with having gone the mirrorless route.

...but, for folks locked into a photo technology and MP upward spiral
they are faced with having to make a radical change in thinking. Here is
one such story:
http://www.fujixpassion.com/2016/05/16/downgrading-to-fuji/

I know. I really enjoy WA, which was the reason I went FF. I know that
eventually I will have to go lighter, just postponing the inevitable.

Currently my widest X-Mount lens is the XF-14mm f/2.8.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf14mmf28_r/
These were shot with the 14mm:
https://db.tt/NZx9ERCy
https://db.tt/XsRxx9F3

Fuji goes a bit wider with their 10-24 f/4.0
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf10_24mmf4_r_ois/

There

are some other wide primes such as the Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8, which
retains Fuji AE/AF, and the Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye and 12mm f/2.0
which are all manual.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039912-REG/samyang_sy8mbk28_fx_8mm_f_2_8_umc_fisheye.html

Savageduck

Old May 21st 16, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-05-20 19:48:44 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-05-20 19:33:37 +0000, PeterN said:

Le Snip

[...]

I guess I should have said superwide rectilinear. my current WA is 15mm.
There may be wider, but they are too far out of my budget. Below 18,
every mm makes a significant difference in the image.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 21/05/2016 12:54, PeterN wrote:
[]
I guess I should have said superwide rectilinear. my current WA is 15mm.
There may be wider, but they are too far out of my budget. Below 18,
every mm makes a significant difference in the image.

Whilst I don't have one, I see there is a Panasonic 7-14 mm f/4.0 for
MFT, that's 14-28 mm equivalent. And and Olympus f/2.8 one too.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...-f007014e.html

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-o...-lens/p1572178

Both may exceed the field-of-view of your present 15 mm lens.
--
Cheers,
David