color of spring

Old May 21st 16, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default color of spring

On 5/20/2016 5:23 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 13:28:17 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

like 'High Pass Sharpening' is one of those PS tools which is not a
solution for all situations, not one which should be a regular part of
a rational workflow. Jim Hamel says as much in his tutorial, which you
posted above.

There is a time and place for everything, sometimes a little planning
and discretion is needed in choosing your weapons. There are whole
bunch of useful tools available in PS and sometimes it can be counter
productive to lock into one particular tool or workflow because it has
worked for you sometime in the past. There is no guarantee that it will
be the correct choice for any other images, and other choices could
give you a better result.

I rather like High Pass Sharpening. But, if you can tell it's been
used, you've used it too much.

What gets me about this discussion is that when we use tools like this
we have the ability to see what the results are. I see images here
where it's been used excessively but the image has been posted anyway.

If it works, use it. If it doesn't work, do something else.

It also seems to me that we should be able to accept that not every
shot we take can be salvaged. Some just won't work no matter what you
do. This is especially true with those shots where the subject was at
a distance and an extreme crop has been used. All the extreme crop
does is make it more obvious that the shot should be binned.

Do you include shots like this
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/feeding%20junior.jpg

or this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/the%20cxonference.jpg

Both of which were blown up to 12 x 18 prints, and have done fairly well
in competitions.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/20/2016 10:22 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I said "some shots".

Like the man said, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to
fold 'em".

Yep!

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That is way too small to be able to make any sort of intelligent
comment other than, it is a nice capture.

or this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/the%20cxonference.jpg

We have seen both before, and this one is over cooked regardless of
sharpening method used. In my opinion an image with potential ruined
with post processing.

Both of which were blown up to 12 x 18 prints, and have done fairly
well in competitions.

You must have a photo club comprising of individuals in dire need of a
visit to an optometrist.

Savageduck

Old May 21st 16, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

OK Fair comment. I don't agree. If the image was processed for wall
hanging instead of viewing on a lightbox, my processing would have been
slightly different. But remember I also post at lower quality.

Both of which were blown up to 12 x 18 prints, and have done fairly
well in competitions.

You must have a photo club comprising of individuals in dire need of a
visit to an optometrist.

We use outside judges. I also compete in other competitions, just for
the heck of it. Those two images have done reasonably well.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

No kidding!
Why do you think degraded images that look like crap would be
acceptable to ny of us?

Both of which were blown up to 12 x 18 prints, and have done fairly
well in competitions.

You must have a photo club comprising of individuals in dire need of a
visit to an optometrist.

We use outside judges. I also compete in other competitions, just for
the heck of it. Those two images have done reasonably well.

Then your club and/or competition organizers are selecting judges with
white canes.

Savageduck