The focal length to sensor size equivalency thing has to DIE!!

Old May 21st 16, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default The focal length to sensor size equivalency thing has to DIE!!

On 21/05/2016 15:16, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

That image is an example of why I want an articulating VF. If taken at
eye level, it would be a stronger image.

I posted this previously in a reply to Duck:

That's why I bought these for my cameras: http://flipbac.com/

They aren't the easiest thing to use, but you get used to it. The
other issue is that the "hinge" loosens over time, and you have to use
a spare finger to hold the mirror at the desired angle. Regardless,
that's how I get all my ground level shots at car & bike shows, and
the added benefit is that they keep the display covered and protected
the rest of the time.

The other option is obvious - just make sure you're wide enough, lower
the camera, and take the shots without any viewfinder. Crop and level
later. I get a lot of street photos that way.

One note: The largest viewfinder they're made for is 3", so you would
have to modify it for the 3.2". It's not that hard, but requires a
Dremel and some steady hands.

it's much easier and quite a bit more flexible to use live view while
connected to a portable lcd display that has hdmi in.

for a more permanent setup, use a larger (and less portable) display.

bonus points for making it wireless.

or just get an old school right angle adapter. this one is compatible
with a d810:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...ders/dr-5-scre
w-in-right-angle-viewfinder.html

Some tablets or phones can work as touch-screen liveview monitors via
USB, so long as they've got USB host capability.
Software gives touch-screen control etc
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...info.qdd&hl=en
Warning that when it may say that app is "compatible with all you're
devices", while the software may run, it's not going to work unless your
phone or tablet has USB host ability.
I've only played around with this (and one other similar app). It works
even with an old D300 (with some limitations).
A bit laggy and Heath Robinson perhaps - probably not very much use in
the field with a moving subject etc, but for studio and still life etc,
it might be pretty useful.
Old May 21st 16, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/20/2016 11:06 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 22:15:16 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/20/2016 8:47 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 12:24:36 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2016 13:14:18 +0100, newshound

On 2016-05-20 03:42:21 +0000, Me said:

However, in my wait for a D300S successor I adopted the Fuji-X System. I
still use my D300S, but my next camera upgrade is probably going to be a
Fuji X-Pro2, or the new X-T2 when it is released.
My Fuji X-E2v4.0, and the mix of XF14mm f/2.8 & XF35mm f/1.4 primes and
18-55mm & 55-200mm zooms suits my current photographic needs, I don't
need a FF DSLR. Then since some of this thread was in regard to the new
Fuji 2xTC, here are a few examples of what the XF100-400mm can do on an
X-T1 with one of those inferior 16MP APS-C sensors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Y5-100-400-723.jpg

What is it? ... and how did you get it?

That's Alvin.

That image is an example of why I want an articulating VF. If taken at
eye level, it would be a stronger image.

I posted this previously in a reply to Duck:

That's why I bought these for my cameras: http://flipbac.com/

They aren't the easiest thing to use, but you get used to it. The
other issue is that the "hinge" loosens over time, and you have to use
a spare finger to hold the mirror at the desired angle. Regardless,
that's how I get all my ground level shots at car & bike shows, and
the added benefit is that they keep the display covered and protected
the rest of the time.

The other option is obvious - just make sure you're wide enough, lower
the camera, and take the shots without any viewfinder. Crop and level
later. I get a lot of street photos that way.

That's what I do now. But I only do street when I am bored, or waiting
for my wife to come out of a store.

One note: The largest viewfinder they're made for is 3", so you would
have to modify it for the 3.2". It's not that hard, but requires a
Dremel and some steady hands.

Interesting gadget. I can borrow a Dremel.

--
PeterN

On 2016-05-20 03:42:21 +0000, Me said:

However, in my wait for a D300S successor I adopted the Fuji-X System. I
still use my D300S, but my next camera upgrade is probably going to be a
Fuji X-Pro2, or the new X-T2 when it is released.
My Fuji X-E2v4.0, and the mix of XF14mm f/2.8 & XF35mm f/1.4 primes and
18-55mm & 55-200mm zooms suits my current photographic needs, I don't
need a FF DSLR. Then since some of this thread was in regard to the new
Fuji 2xTC, here are a few examples of what the XF100-400mm can do on an
X-T1 with one of those inferior 16MP APS-C sensors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Y5-100-400-723.jpg

What is it? ... and how did you get it?

That's Alvin.

That image is an example of why I want an articulating VF. If taken at
eye level, it would be a stronger image.

I took this shot for a Shoot-in with the D300 on a monopod, the camera
resting upside down on my shoe and released by a cable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../_DSC4265a.jpg

Too bad there's no further interest in the SI.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 16, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/21/2016 12:24 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 23:16:28 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I looked for tethering software for Android a while ago, but couldn't
find anything. I'll look again - it's cheaper than buying another
display if I can use my phone or tablet.

One thing I did find is remote control apps, so I don't have to worry
about losing the camera remote anymore. They work with any phone with
an IR emitter.

I have a tethers remote EVF. It just sucks up battery power and is a
real PITA to use. The only practical use is for birds.

--
PeterN

On 2016-05-20 03:42:21 +0000, Me said:

[...]

Yeah, it's a cheap bit of help, it's light, and not in the way. I
mentioned that the hinge loosens, but that also causes an issue when
you're carrying the camera on a sling. The mirror can flop down, and
then catch on something like your clothing, and pop off while you're
walking. It certainly has its limits, but again, it's a cheap
solution.

On 2016-05-20 03:42:21 +0000, Me said:

[...]

Most of the time you get what you pay for.
OTOH, there are times when cheap solutions work pretty well.
I made a variable ND filter by stacking a CPF and an LPF. I also have a
variable soft focus filter. A plane glass filter, I breath on it and
quickly screw it into the lens. If It is too soft, I take it off for a
tad, too little I breath on it again. Neither of the above a perfect,
but they work. BTW since the first cause serious vignetting, I now use a
commercial variable ND.

--
PeterN