Old Dead Thread

Old June 30th 04, 03:39 AM
Paul J Gans

Default Old Dead Thread

We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
illegal to photograph in the US.

In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
taking photons in New York City of major tourist
attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
trains, etc.

----- Paul J. Gans
Old June 30th 04, 04:08 AM
Silvio Manuel

In article ,
Paul J Gans wrote:

We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
illegal to photograph in the US.

In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
taking photons in New York City of major tourist
attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
trains, etc.

----- Paul J. Gans

Probably should been shot themselves. But that
might have violated their civil rights. When will
this country learn.
--
Would you like to know the precise date of your own death?
What if anything is too serious to be joked about?
Old June 30th 04, 04:25 AM
Paul H.

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
illegal to photograph in the US.

In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
taking photons in New York City of major tourist
attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
trains, etc.

How many photons did they take? Did they use a massless boson containment
field or your standard micro-wormhole?

I guess their nuclear research is farther along than we thought!

Old June 30th 04, 04:31 AM
Paul J Gans

Paul H. wrote:

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
illegal to photograph in the US.

In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
taking photons in New York City of major tourist
attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
trains, etc.

How many photons did they take? Did they use a massless boson containment
field or your standard micro-wormhole?

I guess their nuclear research is farther along than we thought!

Hmmm. You could well be right! But I don't think it
is right for them to steal our photons. They are *our*
photons and nobody else can have them.

So there.

:-)

----- Paul J. Gans
Old June 30th 04, 05:14 AM
Christopher Muto

it wasn't just taking photos, it was filming too (actually video taping)...
this is how it was reported by the new york times..

Two Iranian Guards at U.N. Expelled for Filming New York Sites
By WARREN HOGE

Published: June 30, 2004

NITED NATIONS, June 29 - The United States has expelled two security guards
at Iran's United Nations mission after they were seen filming and
photographing New York landmark buildings and parts of the city's
transportation system, American officials said Tuesday.

"They were asked to leave because we were very concerned about their
activities, which weren't compatible with their stated duties," said Richard
A. Grenell, the spokesman for the American mission.

The language is common diplomatic wording for espionage cases.

The two men were ordered out last weekend after pairs of Iranian guards had
been seen for the third time in two years videotaping bridges, tunnels, the
Statue of Liberty and other landmark buildings, according to an American
diplomat. He said the guards were not the same two men who had been seen in
earlier incidents in June 2002 and November 2003. The expelled men, who were
not identified, left Saturday night, the official said.

Stuart Holliday, a deputy American ambassador, said: "As we understand it,
these individuals were moving around New York City and essentially
surveilling, taking photographs of a variety of New York landmarks and
infrastructure and the rest. But obviously this isn't something that's a
part of protecting their mission here in New York."

Asked if the men could have been acting as tourists, Mr. Holliday said, "I
think we have great confidence in the ability of federal law enforcement to
determine what action and behavior is typical and what is atypical."

In Washington, Adam Ereli, a State Department spokesman, said, "They had
been observed by the F.B.I. videotaping various locations from New York
deemed to be sensitive."

Mr. Ereli said the filming and photographing by Iranian guards had been a
"recurring problem," and despite repeated warnings it had continued.

While the photographing of such sites does not violate a law, security
officials have been particularly vigilant about apparent surveillance of
public buildings in New York since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the
World Trade Center.

Morteza Ramandi, the press attaché at the Iranian mission at the United
Nations, issued a statement confirming that the men had left and accusing
the United States of "conjuring" the surveillance complaint.

"The guards in question never failed to observe any 'no photography' signs,
and the videotapes and photos they shot consisted of obvious and popular
tourist attractions in New York City, which are of interest to any visitors
in this city, such as the Central Park, museums, parades and the like," Mr.
Ramandi said. "And we categorically deny that they ever took any photos of
anything of security or sensitive nature."

The state-run Iranian News Agency in Tehran said that Iran "deplored" the
expulsions, and quoted an unidentified Foreign Ministry official as saying,
"This is aimed at disrupting the daily routine of Iran's permanent
representation office, and this is not in harmony with accepted norms."

Iran remains part of the Bush administration's "axis of evil," which
included North Korea and Iraq under the rule of Saddam Hussein.

The United States has not had diplomatic relations with Iran since 1979,
when the American Embassy in Tehran was seized and 52 American diplomats
were taken hostage by radicals in the aftermath of the Islamic revolution
that brought the country's cleric government to power. Iranian diplomats in
New York represent their country only at the United Nations.

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
We had a thread a while back on what is was legal and
illegal to photograph in the US.

In the news today, two Iranian "guards" at the Iranian
UN Embassy have been asked to leave the country for
taking photons in New York City of major tourist
attractions, landmark buildings, bridges, subway
trains, etc.

----- Paul J. Gans

Attached Images
File Type: gif spacer.gif (45 Bytes, 203 views)
File Type: gif u.gif (281 Bytes, 203 views)