Panoramas and nodal points

Old June 29th 04, 12:34 PM
Bob Thomas

Default Panoramas and nodal points

Hi,

I'm building my own pano head for taking panoramas - and it might not
be an engineering masterpiece.

Would I be right in saying that the accuracy and effectiveness of the
pano head will be in a direct ratio to my accuracy in building it?

I.e. Would I be right in saying that if my pano head allows rotation
*nearly* around the nodal point, the image will be *nearly* as good as
if I were 100% accurate? Or is it all or nothing ?

Bob T.
Old June 29th 04, 01:52 PM
Clyde

Bob Thomas wrote:

Hi,

I'm building my own pano head for taking panoramas - and it might not
be an engineering masterpiece.

Would I be right in saying that the accuracy and effectiveness of the
pano head will be in a direct ratio to my accuracy in building it?

I.e. Would I be right in saying that if my pano head allows rotation
*nearly* around the nodal point, the image will be *nearly* as good as
if I were 100% accurate? Or is it all or nothing ?

Bob T.

That depends on the stitching software that you use. Most of them can
handle minor alignment problems in all 3 axis. Some of them can deal
with rather significant problems. A few can't handle much at all.

I would suggest you try it and see.

I have a Manfrotto pano head that does a great job. I use Hugin and
Photoshop CS for stitching. I will also shoot hand held panos, when the
tripod isn't there or practical. Hugin usually handles it without much
problem. PS CS isn't too bad either - well, for less than 360 degrees.

Clyde

Old June 29th 04, 05:28 PM
Frank ess

Bob Thomas wrote:
Hi,

I'm building my own pano head for taking panoramas - and it might not
be an engineering masterpiece.

Would I be right in saying that the accuracy and effectiveness of the
pano head will be in a direct ratio to my accuracy in building it?

I.e. Would I be right in saying that if my pano head allows rotation
*nearly* around the nodal point, the image will be *nearly* as good as
if I were 100% accurate? Or is it all or nothing ?

Bob T.

I have lost track of it, but somewhere recently I read a cogent argument
that for DigiCams the normal-to-nodal-point distance has shrunk to
insignificance, and that even in ordinary camera scale, the requirement
that pivot and nodal points coincide was always overrated, anyway.

So, who was it said that? Speak up, please.

Frank ess

Old June 29th 04, 06:04 PM
Tony Spadaro

Yes the closer the better - but even with perfect there will still be some
work to do.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old June 29th 04, 06:52 PM
Roland Karlsson

Clyde wrote in news:TBdEc.129378$HG.73390
@attbi_s53:

That depends on the stitching software that you use. Most of them can
handle minor alignment problems in all 3 axis. Some of them can deal
with rather significant problems. A few can't handle much at all.

Absolutely not! No stitching software can handle pictures
better than any other if there are probblems with not
rotating around the nodal point. Tilting and rotation, yes,
then you want to use Panorama Tools - it is the best one
for dealing with those kinds of problems. But - none can
handle nodal points mismatch.

/Roland
Old June 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in
. com:

Yes the closer the better - but even with perfect there will still be
some work to do.

I would rather phrase it like this

* For panoramas with only far away objects - don't bother with
any nodal points at all - it is not important. You can, if
you want - try to rotate around the camera at least.
* For panoramas where the nodal point starts to become important,
any crude device that approximately rotates around the nodal
point is of extremely high value.
* I would be surprised if you would find any situation where the
crude device is not enough. Objects must very near to the camera
indeed.

/Roland
Old June 29th 04, 07:06 PM
David J Taylor

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message
. com...
Yes the closer the better - but even with perfect there will still be

some
work to do.

If you use software like PanoTools it is unlikely to be an issue. That
will do all the "work" for you.

Cheers,
David

Old June 29th 04, 07:51 PM
Roland Karlsson

"David J Taylor"
wrote in :

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message
. com...
Yes the closer the better - but even with perfect there will still be

some
work to do.

If you use software like PanoTools it is unlikely to be an issue. That
will do all the "work" for you.

Yepp - why would it be so extremely important to find
the exact nodal point?

Let us say that you miss the nodal point with 3 mm (thats
a lot of you make a crude bracket). Let us further say
that you rotate the camera 20 degrees between photos. Then
the (virtual) nodal point will move 3 mm*2*tan(20/2) = 1 mm
sideways.

This means that nearby things will be 1 mm wrong with regard
to infinity. Using a 50 mm lens (35 mm equiv) and a spacing
of 10 um (reasonable for a full frame 35 mm digital camera),
then 1 mm will correspond to one pixel wrong at 5 meters.

So - if you have objects nearer than 5 meter you must find
the nodal point with an accurace of 3 mm to assure better
than one pixel accuracy.

/Roland