Car readers won't show WAV files.

Old June 30th 04, 10:54 AM
ScottHW

Default Car readers won't show WAV files.

I just found this on the Kodak site (funny I dodn't see this before):

You can't access the sound files that were recorded with the pictures.
Known issue.
Sound files have a .WAV extension, visible in the mounted volume and in
WINDOWS Explorer with the camera connected to the computer. Drag the .WAV
files to the computer from the camera folder.

Note: .WAV files may not be visible if you use a card reader to
transfer images.

Now that I am searching Google for the correct terms, I am finding a LOT of
discussion about this issue from back in 2000. So I am going ot post a
different message here asking for help.

Thanks,
Scott
"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:02:19 -0500, "ScottHW"
wrote:

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:56:51 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "ScottHW"
wrote:

I have tried several brands of USB card reader for use with my digital
camera's (Kodak DC290) Compact Flash card. My camera allows the

capture
of
WAV files along with pictures. Using the manufacturer's driver, it

shows
the card reader file system with both JPGs, TIFFs, WAVs, etc. Using

any
card reader I have tried so far, only image files are displayed. Why

is
this ? Anyone else seen this behavior ?

If anyone should wonder, I have reloaded my OS (W2K Prof) and the

driver
no
longer functions correctly, so I have resorted to a reader, which I

like
the
idea of no additional driver overhead anyway, since it relies on the
already-loaded USB driver.

By any chance could they be marked as hidden files or stored in a
hidden folder? Browse to the card in Explorer. Then choose Tools ==
Folder Options == View and enable the Show hidden files and folders
selection. You might also disable Hide protected operating system
files.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

No, I checked that - I always turn on all files types, and I double

checked
just now and hidden and OS files are "turned on" for display.

sigh

Its unlikely, but could the WAV be imbeded in the picture file
(probably at the end)... and the camera direct connection software can
see there is more data than just the picture file.

Perhaps the Kodak software if used to view the files you've transfered
to the PC will say there is an attatched WAV.

Scott

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Old June 30th 04, 12:22 PM
Tom Scales

Unfortunately, you won't find a solution. The WAV file is imbedded in the
JPG file. The Kodak software makes them 'look' like two files to Windows
Explorer.

I wrote a utility, years ago, that will extract the WAV file from the JPG
once you have copied it on to your machine. Write me privately and I'll try
to find it and you can see if it works for you. It should, but no
guarantees.

Tom