DSCV1 vs DSCP100 vs Ixus 500

Old June 28th 04, 04:51 AM
StephenH

Default DSCV1 vs DSCP100 vs Ixus 500

Please help! I am in the process of upgrading my old digicam but am
having trouble deciding which one to buy.

Ive narrowed my choice down to 3 models:

Sony DSCP100
Sony DSCV1
Canon Ixus 500.

They are all fairly similar spec wise and all have good and bad write
ups on the web. They are also all similarly priced (within £25).

Has anyone had any experience of these three models? And/ or can anyone
recommend which they might think is best?

A lot of my photography is the quick "point and shoot" type for which I
want good quality. But I'd also like a fair amount of manual control
over the images as well.

The Canon seems to be good quality and its also nice and small but I
have heard it is slow at responding.

The Sony V1 seems to have more manual control and also has the laser
feature for focussing and nightshot. But on the downside its bigger than
the other models.

The P100 seems to be an "in-betweener" of the V1 and the Ixus 500 as its
lesser spec'd than the V1 but it's also smaller as well.

I know the memory sticks are slightly more money than the compact flash
that the canon takes but I dont mind spending a bit more money if the
camera is a better machine.

I'd appriciate anyones thoughts or comments.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen.

Old June 28th 04, 06:05 PM
bagal

I don't know these models too well but avoid LCD screen only viewers = poor
in really bright light

here is something I prepared earlier too:-

Ok - I thought someone would have mentioned it already

I see that the Polaroid X530 with Foveon sensor is listed in UK catalogues
:-)

If you are new to the forum you may not realise the humour if I rename the
camera as the Paranoid X530 - it seems to be a consequence of using the
dreaded "F" word - a 6 letter one in this case.

There is another "F" word that is missing from your list - this time it is a
4-letter onw, Fuji (or Fuji FinePix) These are pretty good too IMHO

I would like to have a go on the Pranoid X530 to see if the claims & counter
claims hold (no explnation given here)

As for digital SLR (DSLR) I think I'll wait a year or 2 for further
evolutionary developments in sensor-lens-software-firmware enhancement.

If I have anything more to contribute it is: to get the most out of your
digital images you will need some software too. There is no need to pay 2
or 3 times the cost of your camera on industry standard software package
(BTW if digital imagery really does take off I'll expect to see a reduction
in PS CS due to wider consumer base switching from pro- industry- commerce-
base to include home users & amateurs in a non-commercial setup. I wonder
if Adobe reads this NG?)

Try IrfanView (a freebie by download or magazine cover disk), or software
from JASC, Roxio and I daresay many others as the spend on digital image
processing software increases)

Now, how about a non-commercial license from Adobe? restricted to homeusers
in a non-cemmercial basis? Or am I far too naive?

das B

ps - if you have a PC running Windows XP it makes things altogether easier
on the software-hardware-camera (-cardreader) linages. If not - wait until
Windows 64 bit appears - probably later thius year, runs on 64 bit chips

dB

Old June 29th 04, 01:06 AM
Neil Maxwell

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:51:59 +0100, StephenH
wrote:

The Canon seems to be good quality and its also nice and small but I
have heard it is slow at responding.

I have the S400 (similar to Ixus/S500), and it's decent quality, very
small, takes fine pictures, and definitely slow at responding. I
can't tell you how many pictures I have taken of the cat's butt as he
gets bored and walks away from that once-perfect shot.

Is small more important than flexible? The Canon A75/A80 are better
general purpose cameras than the S400/S500, IMO (lots more flexible
but still lots of shutter lag), but they won't fit in the shirt pocket
like the S500 will. If you need shirt-pocket small, it's hard to beat
the S500.

Most mid-range digitals are too slow for photographing active kids,
pets, or anything else that moves around a lot. Drives me nuts and
makes me pull out my old film cameras until I can afford a D70 or
something.

Old June 29th 04, 11:44 PM
Karl Burrows

I bought the Sony V1 for a friend and he let me take it to Hawaii for
vacation. The pictures we okay. Color was a little washed out and low
light was not as impressive as I would have thought considering I have 2
Sony digital camcorders.

I then did a bunch more research and bought the Kodak 6490. 10 times
optical zoom, 2.2" LCD and impressive pictures. I have been very pleased.
I just took some family 'portraits' and they were excellent. The only thing
I gave up was 4MP vs. 5MP on the Sony.

Highly recommended.

Old June 30th 04, 08:04 AM
Nigel Jones

StephenH wrote in message ...

Has anyone had any experience of these three models? And/ or can anyone
recommend which they might think is best?

Same shortlist as me, except the DSC-W1 replaces DSC-V1
Again that was too big

I have the dsc-p100.
Its fast to respond - online reviews I've seen suggest shutter lag of
around .2s with AF, 0.01s without. Also has continuos focus (I've not
used that)

I too tried the canon, and it simply wasn't quicker enough. The
dsc-p100 seems to blow away other compacts (not my colleagues SLR
though!)

The "sports" mode gives a fast shutter speed
some manual control also

A lot of my photography is the quick "point and shoot" type for which I
want good quality. But I'd also like a fair amount of manual control
over the images as well.

Sony does this, although aperature choice is limited to 2.

The Canon seems to be good quality and its also nice and small but I
have heard it is slow at responding.

That's what I figured in the store
The Sony V1 seems to have more manual control and also has the laser
feature for focussing and nightshot. But on the downside its bigger than
the other models.

The P100 seems to be an "in-betweener" of the V1 and the Ixus 500 as its
lesser spec'd than the V1 but it's also smaller as well.

Can also get P120 with spare battery+case, but it was black

I know the memory sticks are slightly more money than the compact flash
that the canon takes but I dont mind spending a bit more money if the
camera is a better machine.

Ordered from ebay in US , £85 all in for 512Mb.

Any Q just drop me a note
nigel at planetf1 and then add my isp which is uk.co.worldonline
(backwards)