Recommend Flash for D70

Old June 27th 04, 11:18 PM
GTABuySell

Default Recommend Flash for D70

Anyone know of another flash beside the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 that is most
compatible with the Nikon D70?

Thanks,
Vi P.

Old June 28th 04, 01:03 AM
Silvio Manuel

In article ,
"GTABuySell" wrote:

Anyone know of another flash beside the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 that is most
compatible with the Nikon D70?

I use my Q flash on automatic, Quantum will urgrade it to a Digital model
so you do TTL as well.
--
Would you like to know the precise date of your own death?
What if anything is too serious to be joked about?
Old June 28th 04, 05:41 AM
Christopher Muto

i wonder if that upgrade will really work. my sb-28 will not work in ttl
mode with the d70, only the new sb-800 or sb-600 will. by 'not work' i mean
the camera will not take a picture if the sb-28 (or non sb600/800) flash is
set to ttl. the flash indicator on the camera lcd just starts blinking and
the shutter will not fire. the d70 is said to have i-ttl and not just
ttl... but the sb-28 works well in 'a' mode with the d70, but it does not
fire the autofocus assist led (you are stuck with the no very subtle on
camera 'headlight' for autofocus assist when using the sb28). the internal
flash of the d70 doesn't work well at all, at least not on my camera...
perhaps i have a dud (which would not be the first problem i had with
electronics on nikon digitals...).

Old June 28th 04, 06:18 AM
GTABuySell

I guess, I will have to bite the bullet and buy the SB-800. FYI, my D70's
built in flash doesn't work well either.

Old June 28th 04, 11:14 AM
Giorgio Preddio

"GTABuySell" wrote in message ...
Anyone know of another flash beside the Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 that is most
compatible with the Nikon D70?

Thanks,
Vi P.

I would lose the whole Nikon thing if I were you. Why should you put
any more money into a ****ty, dying system? Many of my photography
students have made the same mistake. Luckily I've set most of them
straight.

Sigma/Foveon is the cutting edge platform of today and tomorrow. Get
rid of the Nikon and buy a Sigma SD10.
Old June 28th 04, 11:21 AM
John Phillips

On Monday, June 28, 2004 at 20:14:46 Monday, 28 June 2004 (where I live), "Giorgio Preddio" wrote:

Sigma/Foveon is the cutting edge platform of today and tomorrow

Not really. At least not yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/

--
Overdrawn? No way! I still have checks left!

Old June 28th 04, 11:35 AM
Jose Marques

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, GTABuySell wrote:

I guess, I will have to bite the bullet and buy the SB-800. FYI, my D70's
built in flash doesn't work well either.

I find images produced with the built-in flash a bit muted (upping the
colour saturation in an image editor helps) but otherwise Ok. The SB-800
is well worth having, I've just bought one and it makes my 20 year old
Vivitar 285 look like a relic from the stone age. I find the wireless
capabilities absolutely amazing. Put the SB-800 in remote mode and the
D70s built-in flash in commander mode and you can position the SB-800
anywhere in the room. The camera balances remote flash and ambient light
when you press the shutter.

--
Jose Marques

Old June 28th 04, 02:19 PM
Silvio Manuel

In article ,
"Christopher Muto" wrote:

i wonder if that upgrade will really work. my sb-28 will not work in ttl
mode with the d70, only the new sb-800 or sb-600 will. by 'not work' i mean
the camera will not take a picture if the sb-28 (or non sb600/800) flash is
set to ttl. the flash indicator on the camera lcd just starts blinking and
the shutter will not fire. the d70 is said to have i-ttl and not just
ttl... but the sb-28 works well in 'a' mode with the d70, but it does not
fire the autofocus assist led (you are stuck with the no very subtle on
camera 'headlight' for autofocus assist when using the sb28). the internal
flash of the d70 doesn't work well at all, at least not on my camera...
perhaps i have a dud (which would not be the first problem i had with
electronics on nikon digitals...).

Something I can not answer, except I state that the auto feature of the Quantum
is perfectly exceptable for me when the camera is set to manual. The flash measures
the ouput of the light and I adjust the ss & aperture for best exposure. I've used it this
way at a couple of functions where I was paid for the service. The nice part for me is
editing the bad images out, while at the event during slow parts of the program.
Old June 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Ron Webb

You've used your Vivitar 285 on the D70 ?? I have been terrified of the
sync voltage put out by mine! Everything I have read online says it could
fry my D70.

Does it work?

Ron

.uk...