FYI on B&H Photo

Old June 29th 04, 07:20 PM
Jeff Durham

Default FYI on B&H Photo

To all:

Just an FYI on purchasing from B&H Photo...

I saw many postings of people that have had great luck with B&H Photo so I
decided to give it a try. Their ratings are not as high as newegg on
http://www.resellersratings.com, but newegg does not carry all of the
photographic equipment either. I purchased a Canon lens and two hoods last
Thursday evening. I chose the cheapest shipping method which was UPS
ground. The order was processed and shipped on Friday with no phone calls
to upsell. The components arrived this Tuesday afternoon in great shape.

Bottom line -- I was very pleased with my purchase and the smoothness of the
process. I will be posting this information on resellers ratings along with
my recommendation for newegg which is where I bought my Canon Digital Rebel.
The only thing I cannot comment on with either of these companies is what
happens if there is a problem because I have not experienced one.

BTW -- The lens I got from B&H was $80-$100 cheaper than I could purchase
locally. I still had to pay about $9 in shipping, but big deal when there
is no sales tax.

Jeff

Old June 29th 04, 07:33 PM
Jeff Durham

I cannot type today. It is http://www.resellerratings.com. Sorry if this
caused grief for anyone.

Jeff

Old June 29th 04, 08:32 PM
Don F

[...]

-------------------
I ordered my D70 from B&H about 3 weeks ago. The B&H web page showed the
D70 as being "in stock" at 7:00 AM on a Friday morning (before B&H opens for
business). I placed an order for the camera kit, CF card, and filter via
UPS 2nd day air. It turns out that B&H had no D70s in stock and I had
ordered before the web page was updated.
B&H called me to confirm my order two hours later. A new shipment of D70s
were received by B&H on Monday. Mine was packed and shipped with overnight
delivery. I received it on Tuesday which happened to coincide with the 2
(business) day delivery option I had selected.
I have been a loyal customer with B&H for many years and will continue to
use them as my sole provider for any product they sell.
I think it is important to do what you and I are doing here to insure that
more mail order vendors recognize the importance of honest reliable service.
Don F

Old June 29th 04, 09:12 PM
M Barnes

Jeff Durham wrote:

Bottom line -- I was very pleased with my purchase
and the smoothness of the process ....

I heard about B&H on this group two years ago.
I purchased a D100 from Helix in Chicago, and
found it was used and returned. I returned it as
well, and received another used one, with what
appeared to be a piece of potato chip on the
mirror. I assume the previous owner had opened
the body while eating lunch. Finally, after insisting
on receiving a new, unopened D100, I got one
that the store manager told me, "Had only been
out of the box a couple of times." It was a good
one, and I kept it.

I bought my accessories -- SB80DX, remote,
battery holder, spare battery, etcetera -- from
B&H. I can only say I wish I had bought the D100
from them. They are golden, in my book, having
never once put me through so much as a blip in
what has been a seamless ordering/shipping history.

Old June 29th 04, 09:19 PM
Pittsburgh bound

I've been dealing with them for years. They're high volume, not perfect,
but I find them honest and they will fix mistakes.

Old June 29th 04, 09:39 PM
BandHPhoto

I have been a loyal customer with B&H for many years and will continue to
use them as my sole provider for any product they sell.

Thank you.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Old June 30th 04, 02:05 AM
MarkH

"Jeff Durham" wrote in
:

Just an FYI on purchasing from B&H Photo...

I have placed 3 orders with B&H so far, purchasing a Canon 550EX flash,
some camera accessories and Sennheiser headphones. Being in a different
country my freight costs are high, but I still save plenty (I saved over NZ
$250 on the flash alone, some other items could not be sourced locally).

Each order was sent within a day or 2 of placing the order and arrived in a
reasonable time.

I have read about the occasional person having a problem but:
B&H are not scam artists.
Sometimes humans make mistakes.
When advised of a problem B&H seem to try their best to sort it out.

For me I like B&H because they provide a good service and provide the goods
they sell at the prices they advertise, better to deal with them then a
scam artist. I am sure there are other companies that I could deal with as
well, but there are not many with B&H’s combination of good price, wide
range of stock, accepting international orders, honesty and reliability.

I even ordered an item locally, after hearing nothing for a couple of
months I added that item to an order to B&H and had the item in less than a
week. (The item was just a cheap Lowepro sliplock bottle bag, no biggie but
useful)

I will be using B&H again in the future!

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Old June 30th 04, 12:33 PM
Gene Palmiter

Yep...I buy from them when I can. I have also visited their store. Its a
short walk from the Port Authority (bus station) in NY.