Canon Digital REBEL II

Old June 28th 04, 04:26 AM
Darrell Larose

Default Canon Digital REBEL II

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
news

Darrell Larose wrote:

As for the Rebel II, That seems possible as previous Canon DSLRs had

about a
one year production run. I do expect a 10D replacement, and a EOS 3

based
DSLR.

That's my take. The Digital Rebel is still less than a year old (9 mos
or so), and the 10D now a bit over a year old.

But Canon could surprise.

Phil

Yup, they could surprise with a new price point like they did with the
Digital Rebel. What impact would a sub $900 USD, DSLR have for the industry.
Pentax is planning on a $900 DSLR. What if the Drebel II is $500~600. It
would again leave the market scambling to play catch up again.

Old June 28th 04, 08:43 AM
David J Taylor

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
[]
Yup, they could surprise with a new price point like they did with the
Digital Rebel. What impact would a sub $900 USD, DSLR have for the

industry.
Pentax is planning on a $900 DSLR. What if the Drebel II is $500~600. It
would again leave the market scambling to play catch up again.

.... and somewhat annoy people who just paid $900!

I bet all of these manufacturers could sell the cameras at half the price
and still make a profit - they just charge what the market can bear, and
who can blame them?

Cheers,
David

Old June 28th 04, 02:15 PM
Phil Wheeler

Darrell Larose wrote:

Yup, they could surprise with a new price point like they did with the
Digital Rebel. What impact would a sub $900 USD, DSLR have for the industry.
Pentax is planning on a $900 DSLR. What if the Drebel II is $500~600. It
would again leave the market scambling to play catch up again.

Hard to imagine how they would get there (i.e., what features they could
remove from the DR). I'd rather see a move up: A fuller feature set
like the D70 and 10D at a price point around or above the current DR.
Or a 1.3:1 cropping factor unit priced a bit above the 10D.

I need to buy another another soon (enough glass for now), then the DR
will become my wife's. So I'd rather have it be a bit of an upgrade, at
least to the 10D level. And the age of the current 10D disuades me from
buying that.

Phil

Old June 29th 04, 09:35 PM
harry

I don't believe there will ever be such a beast
as an inexpensive digital SLR. Camera manufacturers
are not stupid. They know that serious photographers
will pay a premium price for backward compatibility.

From a purely business point of view, I'll bet the
camera companies just want to forget about digital
SLRs with their design restrictions from the past.
For every R&D dollar spent developing digital SLR's,
there is probably $100 spent on the more
competitively priced amateur lines. If a camera
company does come out with a real killer
product, it will therefore probably not be a digital SLR.

Old June 30th 04, 03:21 AM
Paul J Gans

David J Taylor wrote:
"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...
[]
Yup, they could surprise with a new price point like they did with the
Digital Rebel. What impact would a sub $900 USD, DSLR have for the

industry.
Pentax is planning on a $900 DSLR. What if the Drebel II is $500~600. It
would again leave the market scambling to play catch up again.

... and somewhat annoy people who just paid $900!

I bet all of these manufacturers could sell the cameras at half the price
and still make a profit - they just charge what the market can bear, and
who can blame them?

Almost. They try to sell at the point that maximizes profit,
if they can find it. Too expensive and sales fall off
dramatically. Too cheap and even though sales skyrocket,
the profit per unit is too small for the total to amount to
very much.

That's why we need to have a couple of manufacturers really
competing. The D70 is good for Canon users, just as the
300D was good for Nikon users. Tends to keep them from
getting too carried away.

----- Paul J. Gans

Old June 30th 04, 07:03 AM
Skip M

"harry" wrote in message
I don't believe there will ever be such a beast
as an inexpensive digital SLR. Camera manufacturers
are not stupid. They know that serious photographers
will pay a premium price for backward compatibility.

From a purely business point of view, I'll bet the
camera companies just want to forget about digital
SLRs with their design restrictions from the past.
For every R&D dollar spent developing digital SLR's,
there is probably $100 spent on the more
competitively priced amateur lines. If a camera
company does come out with a real killer
product, it will therefore probably not be a digital SLR.

Are you talking "killer product at a killer price" or just a killer product?
Because there are those who would say that an APS+ size sensor with 8.2 mp,
8.5 frames per second, 20 shot cache in RAW, 40 in HQ JPEG, tank like build,
new and improved flash metering, operator selected WB compensation all add
up to a killer product. And the way the Canon 1D MkII is selling, even at
$4500, there are a lot of photographers out there who might agree...
But "killer product at a price?" We might have to wait for that.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com