Canon / Olympics advert

Old December 16th 04, 06:11 AM
MarkČ

"Skip M" wrote in message
news:ly9wd.63954$Af.30811@fed1read07...
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Skip M" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
Alan Browne wrote:

In the SciAm Jan 2005 issue,

Yech, you read that rag?

The text claims: "...Canon cameras and lenses are the equipment of
choice for
90% of Sports Illustrated staff photographers and the the majority

of
the top
newspapers in the country."

Last spring at Point Pelee, the big-ass glass was predominatly white

as
well. During the summer, just idle bird-watching (pseudo rare

birds),
the few people I saw bearing higher-end equipment were brandishing

the
white stuff.

You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big

glass
in
a shade of grey, don't you?

Yes, but how many of those have you spotted? I've never seen one.

BTW--I think that was about the dumbest marketing ploy ever imagined by
Nikon. The only way that could have ever benefited them would have been
if
they completely stopped selling the black ones.

How can you tell? At that distance, they look pretty much the same! G
And even that wouldn't help, the black ones stood out from the crowd, now,
it looks like it's all Canon, even if half of them are Nikons!

That's actually what I meant to imply. Since they still mainly market the
black ones, everyone would assume the white ones are Canon--since public
awareness of white Nikons is pretty non-exixtent, which defeats the idea of
beating Canon in their "massive numbers look" in the eyes of the public.
Frankly, I tend to think a lot of Nikon shooters wouldn't buy white
versions--if only to feel as though they are some sort of "Nikon Purist" or
some such Leica-esque mindset silliness.

Old December 16th 04, 04:56 PM
Alan Browne

jimkramer wrote:

But did you enjoy the "Eye of the Beholder" - Nikon's Small World
photomicroscopy on Page 72?

I'm only at p 36 so far. Hang on I'll cheat. Wow. Great images...

Old December 16th 04, 05:03 PM
Alan Browne

Skip M wrote:

You realize, of course, that Nikon and Minolta both offer their big glass in
a shade of grey, don't you?

Actually Minolta white lenses are almost white-white. I don't know of any
Nikons that are white. Pentax have a quite wierd looking silver-grey.

Old December 16th 04, 05:21 PM
Doug Payne

Alan Browne wrote:

I don't know of any Nikons that are white.

Have a look at some of the fast AF tele's. I think all of 300,400,500,600
are available in both light and dark, light being more grey than white.

Old December 16th 04, 05:21 PM
Doug Payne

Old December 17th 04, 02:06 AM
Alan Browne

jimkramer wrote:

But did you enjoy the "Eye of the Beholder" - Nikon's Small World
photomicroscopy on Page 72?

Yes, very nice. (this may be a second reply, I don't see my posting).

Old December 17th 04, 02:06 AM
Alan Browne