Smallest P/S 35 with a ZOOM???

Old August 8th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
LGLA[_2_]

Default Smallest P/S 35 with a ZOOM???

Curious on this, I would like a very pocket-able 35mm film camera
with autofocus and a zoom lens on it, anyone know which one to get?

Okay with me if it is a used machine... considering what's in production
these days.

I have given up hope for quality images from cheap digital cameras,
film is always excellent, anyway.

Alex
Old August 8th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"LGLA" wrote

very pocket-able 35mm film camera
with autofocus and a zoom lens ... hope for quality images

There are lots to choose from if you are willing to
forgo the zoom lens: Yashica T4, Nikon 35Ti, Contax T,
Minox 35, Ricoh GR, Vivitar/Leica ...

The ones I have used that have a decent zoom lens
are bulky. They all suffer optically over their fixed
FL brethren.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old August 9th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

LGLA wrote,on my timestamp of 9/08/2008 3:33 AM:

Curious on this, I would like a very pocket-able 35mm film camera
with autofocus and a zoom lens on it, anyone know which one to get?

Okay with me if it is a used machine... considering what's in production
these days.

I have given up hope for quality images from cheap digital cameras,
film is always excellent, anyway.

Ignore the bull**** about lens size and sensor
size, it's utter nonsense by folks who haven't used
film in more than a decade.

Just get a second hand Pentax with a zoom lens,
they are some of the best you can get. Plenty
on ebay for a song. Anything by Minolta
will also be worth your time. Heaps of them with
a quality zoom. As good as anything, in fact
my best p&s ever was a Minolta film camera:
superb lens.
Old August 9th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart1

"LGLA" wrote in message
news

Curious on this, I would like a very pocket-able 35mm film camera
with autofocus and a zoom lens on it, anyone know which one to get?

Okay with me if it is a used machine... considering what's in production
these days.

I have given up hope for quality images from cheap digital cameras,
film is always excellent, anyway.

Alex

Your criteria are a problem: pocketable, auto-focus, zoom.
If you forget about the pocket (or get very big pockets!), your options are
many, both new and used. If you forget about the auto-focus, the options
become even greater starting with old mechanical cameras that are still very
usable.

Putting a zoom lens on a camera requires that the lens stick out a certain
amount. Making it auto-focus requires some mechanics which add to the size.
There are some nice small mpdern auto 35mm cameras with a collapsable lens,
but the idea of the lens being able to move in and out scares me. You pick
one up new for around $100.

Personally, I'd go with an old mechanical camera and a zoom lens. If I
weren't already committed to Canon, I'd go with a Pentax K-1000 or a Minolta
SRT101. They're not compact, they're not auto-anything, but they are still
good.

Smallest RAW cameras David King[_2_] Digital Photography 8 June 7th 08 01:30 AM
smallest DSLR News Digital SLR Cameras 2 November 25th 06 08:20 PM
smallest 5 MP+ camera [email protected] Digital Photography 7 August 24th 06 12:16 AM
Kodak Announces the World's Smallest Ultra-Wide-Angle Zoom Digital Camera newcamz.blogspot.com Digital Photography 46 August 12th 06 01:45 PM
Smallest (film) SLR? Newbie 35mm Photo Equipment 68 August 6th 04 09:19 AM