XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

Old August 12th 04, 02:12 AM
Sabineellen

Default XP SP2 is no bowl of cherries

I don't think so.

a) I don't use Outlook or IE
b) I don't run executable attachments from my default account
c) My default account does not have admin privileges
d) My hardware firewall will stop worms in its tracks
e) I don't do anything else to make myself vulnerable to viruses. I know
how they work and how they can be launched

For the love of whatever, get Avast antivirus and run a thorough virus scan,
and tell us what the result is.

Old August 12th 04, 03:49 AM
William Graham

"Sabineellen" wrote in message
I don't think so.

a) I don't use Outlook or IE
b) I don't run executable attachments from my default account
c) My default account does not have admin privileges
d) My hardware firewall will stop worms in its tracks
e) I don't do anything else to make myself vulnerable to viruses. I

know
how they work and how they can be launched

For the love of whatever, get Avast antivirus and run a thorough virus

scan,
and tell us what the result is.

Yes.....There are many ways to pick up viruses. About a month ago my Norton
virus scan picked one up doing a full system scan, which takes me about
1-1/2 hours to do on my machine. It said it found it, but couldn't fix it,
or delete it. When I investigated the problem, I found that it was in a zip
file, and I guess that's why Norton couldn't do anything about it.....I
simply deleted the file, which was not an important file, although I still
don't know where it came from.......

Old August 12th 04, 06:15 AM
William Graham

"PGG" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.12.05.03.29.933000@NO_SP_A_Myahoo .com...
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:49:07 +0000, William Graham wrote:

[...]

A harmless binary unless you execute it in a privileged mode.

Still you should know where it came from. At least what directory was it
in?

As I remember, it was in my Windows directory.....Rather
frightening.....But, AFAIK, there isn't any Zipped files that Windows
normally uses to do it's, "thing" so I decided to take a chance and delete
it.....So far, so good......

Old August 12th 04, 06:17 AM
William Graham

"PGG" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.12.05.01.24.202000@NO_SP_A_Myahoo .com...
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:12:29 +0000, Sabineellen wrote:

I don't think so.

a) I don't use Outlook or IE
b) I don't run executable attachments from my default account
c) My default account does not have admin privileges
d) My hardware firewall will stop worms in its tracks
e) I don't do anything else to make myself vulnerable to viruses. I

know
how they work and how they can be launched

For the love of whatever, get Avast antivirus and run a thorough virus

scan,
and tell us what the result is.

Clean. Yes, I do scan my machine about once every 6 months. However I
refuse to run a anti-virus software that runs in real-time. And I don't
bother with nightly scans.

I just don't have problems with viruses.

I only do a complete machine scan about that often too.....But Norton scans
all outgoing email messages routinely, and I update my virus definitions
about once a week.....This only takes a couple of minutes.