(SI) Motion appears to be up...

Old May 31st 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

Default (SI) Motion appears to be up...

"Walter Banks" wrote:

Mike Benveniste http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79672288

Picking up or dropping off a pilot. Almost the antithesis of motion. Two
boats in synchronized motion briefly locked together for the transfer.
There is a story here. I like it.

Thank you for your comments. This was a "shoot first, think later"
shot; I saw the transfer taking place and grabbed the camera.
Only later did I think about the mandate.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old June 1st 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Paul Furman wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

An image has been added since I looked last night, so I guess Jim
is still putting it together.

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would
have been better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49
-butterfly taking flight

Cool. :-) Not too late to post a second submission?

Well, the butterfly-leaving was just an unexpected goof :-)

Some of my favourite images are unexpected goofs. :-)

Did you zoom-while-snapping on the first submission?
I like that one.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206

Thanks. No zoom. This was a fluke (almost a goof). I shot hundreds of
exposures trying to get something that worked, and this was the only one
that came out with the funnel effect. My guess is that there was some motion
of the camera at right angles to the panning. My guess is that I could try
for years and never reproduce the effect. :-)

Old June 1st 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Helen wrote:

I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!

Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder I
work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?

Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

Old June 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Walter Banks wrote:

Wilba 1 http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206
I am not so sure about this one

Neither am I. :-) The funnel effect is a fluke and entirely unintended.
When I look at it now, I think of primary school kids in a playground, and
hear the shouts and squeels that go with that.

Wilba 2 http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617299

I quite like this image. It is clear that the runner is in
motion but the left foot is sharply infocus frozen against
a moving background. The first impression is there is
something different here. Well done

Thanks very much. I like that - "an impression of something different".

Old June 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On May 31, 8:56 pm, "Wilba" wrote:
Helen wrote:

I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!

Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder I
work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?

Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures -http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

I thought they were familiar. Thanks for the info! They ARE nice
shoes!
Helen

Old June 1st 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Jim Kramer - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617130

Lots of motion - the dog, it's ears, tail, and paws (look at the left front
so extended), the splash and ripples. In this one there's a real sense of
motion towards an objective - it knows where it's going and it's going right
there right now. :-)

Douglas MacDonald - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617184

When I look at this I want the canoeist to not be there, since I'm getting a
"stacked subjects" effect that detracts from both of them for me. Good
capture of the peak moment in the leap of the boat.

Wilba 1 - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206

I shot both of these by holding the camera at belly height, in portrait
format, as I stood on one foot while stepping forward with the other. I
tried lots of variations on freezing the static foot or panning with the
moving foot, on different surfaces on different days. This one is of my
right foot, which was static, and the left foot cropped out. My guess is
that there was some unintended sideways motion (think from up to down in
this 90 degree ACW rotation), that resulted in the funnel effect.

Wilba 2 - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617299

This is one of the few pans on the moving foot that worked. Unsharp Mask
made the shoe snap into focus. Something I learnt from this exercise was the
need to underexpose about a step to avoid blowing out the whites on blurred
subjects.

Ken Nadvornick - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617305

It's the detail that makes this special for me. The composition is very well
thought out. All the elements fit well within the frame and work with each
other - the boom, the signpost, the cat's eyes on the road ... everything
adds something. You can feel the whoosh. I love the skinny post visible just
inside the right border, showing that the background was visible sometime
during the exposure. Is the signpost vertical? It looks to me like it's
tilted a smidge to the right. A winner for me.

Paul Furman - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79657023

I understand and sympathise with your comment in other messages about space
in front and behind the subject. Lack of a clear eye makes it harder to
relate to this as a wildlife shot, but as a motion shot it works for me.
Great pinions. I like the mix of blurred and sharp spray.

Mike Benveniste - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79672288

At first I thought, "what's in motion?", but then I clued into the
interpretation of someone dealing with the relative motion of the boat and
dock. Strong diagonal axis of the boat, and a nice tight crop.

Graham Fountain - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79751139

This has a feeling for me that there was a lot of motion a moment ago, and
now it has pretty much come to a stop. I'm frustrated by the centre of the
action being obscured by number 2, but I love the expressions on the faces
of the other players. Well framed to include them all.

Alan Browne - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79753743

I like the subject (float planes are very rare where I come from), and it
looks good from that angle. As a pan, I'd like the background to be more
blurred, and I'd be interested to see a bit more of the wake, but I guess
you didn't have many chances to experiment. :-) It looks a bit grainy to me
but overall I like it. Definitely a motion shot.

Congratulations to everyone!

Old June 1st 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Helen wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Helen wrote:

I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!

Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder
work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?

Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures -http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

I thought they were familiar. Thanks for the info! They ARE nice
shoes!

:-) Thanks. I'll think of you when I wear them to town this afternoon.

Old June 1st 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Wilba wrote:
Helen wrote:
I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!

Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder I
work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?

Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

Damn hard to find nowadays. Used to be able to get blue suede
hushpuppies, but it don't look like they make 'em anymore.
Old June 1st 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Pudentame wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Helen wrote:
I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!

Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder
I work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?

Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

Damn hard to find nowadays. Used to be able to get blue suede hushpuppies,
but it don't look like they make 'em anymore.

I guess mine are about three years old, which makes them ancient in the
fashion world. :-)

Old June 1st 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On May 31, 10:00 pm, "Wilba" wrote:
Jim Kramer -http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617130

Lots of motion - the dog, it's ears, tail, and paws (look at the left front
so extended), the splash and ripples. In this one there's a real sense of
motion towards an objective - it knows where it's going and it's going right
there right now. :-)

Motion?! Everything is perfectly still! :-)

Thanks for commenting.
Jim