(SI) Motion appears to be up...

Old May 31st 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default (SI) Motion appears to be up...

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49
-butterfly taking flight

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 31st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wilba[_2_]

Paul Furman wrote:

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

An image has been added since I looked last night, so I guess Jim is still
putting it together.

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49
-butterfly taking flight

Cool. :-) Not too late to post a second submission?

Old May 31st 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Wilba wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

An image has been added since I looked last night, so I guess Jim is still
putting it together.

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49
-butterfly taking flight

Cool. :-) Not too late to post a second submission?

Well, the butterfly-leaving was just an unexpected goof
:-)

Did you zoom-while-snapping on the first submission?
I like that one.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206

Jim's dog looks like it's chasing my duck :-)
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617130
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79657023

Ken did a nice job with the field camera waiting for the train:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617305

Thanks Mike & Doug too for more boating pics
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617184
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79672288
-I shot my 'duck' from a bobbing/swaying sailboat.
Old May 31st 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On May 30, 7:37 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Ba...
-butterfly taking flight

--
Paul Furman Photographyhttp://www.edgehill.net/1
Bay Natives Nurseryhttp://www.baynatives.com

I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba! BTW: nice shoes. What make are
they?When I was sailing, I remember the feeling of those powerful
speed boats zipping by. We almost capsized, so that's another great
example of movement. I'm almost sea sick staring at the water
watching that boat in Mike Benveniste pic. And Paul's cormorant
taking flight with his powerful wings splashing the water just before
take off. Great work gentleman! My favorite has to be Ken's. What
superb work! Spot on exposure, perfect composition. I can really
feel that train moving by. A slow shutter speed was ideal for that,
and what really impressed me the most was how sharp, clean and such
fine grain the pic is. Carrying around a 4X5 monster can be
troublesome, but my God, look at the final results! Excellent work
Ken!
A great job gentleman!
Helen

Old May 31st 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On May 31, 3:57 am, wrote:
[...]

Whoops, sorry I meant great job "gentlemen".
Helen

Old May 31st 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On May 30, 7:37 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Ba...
-butterfly taking flight

--
Paul Furman Photographyhttp://www.edgehill.net/1
Bay Natives Nurseryhttp://www.baynatives.com

It's up, an overwhelming turn out; just a wee bit o' frustration on my
end. :-(

Old May 31st 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

All of the images meet the mandate. My favourites for
completely different reasons are Ken Nadvornick's train
on the crossing and Jim Kramer's dog running in the shallows.

Ken demonstrates the power of a well planned photo shoot
that results in an image that anyone should be proud of.
Jim's image has more human emotion of a frozen moment in
time capturing the sheer joy of a dog in motion. Both images
pass my criterion if hung on a wall will I still enjoy them a
month or a year from now. Both tell a story, the starting
line for the imagination.

Jim Kramer http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617130

No question dog in motion, meets the mandate. The dog's
face says it all, " I am happy to be here" . There is a lot of
detail, the kind of picture that you don't get tired of.

Douglas MacDonald http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617184

Meets the mandate. This image has some depth of field
problems. The eye is drawn to the focus point between
the two boats. The powered pontoon boat is out of focus.

Wilba 1 http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206
I am not so sure about this one

Wilba 2 http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617299

I quite like this image. It is clear that the runner is in
motion but the left foot is sharply infocus frozen against
a moving background. The first impression is there is
something different here. Well done

Ken Nadvornick http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617305

Adsel Adams was right. Master black and white first. There
is a story in this image. There is also an interesting story of
planning in the details provided. It is the kind of image that
tells you that good photography doesn't just happen. Ken, you
know its technically well done and I am not skilled enough
to judge. Very well done.

Paul Furman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79657023

A water soaked cormorant taking flight. A cormorant struggles
into the air. It is still dragging on the water. This is a tough image
to get both bird and water exposed correctly especially when
looking into the light. The cormorant's head is under exposed.
A better story might have been including the splash marks
behind the cormorant if the original included them.

Mike Benveniste http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79672288

Picking up or dropping off a pilot. Almost the antithesis of motion. Two
boats in synchronized motion briefly locked together for the transfer.
There is a story here. I like it.

w..

Old May 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On May 31, 9:07 am, Walter Banks wrote:
All of the images meet the mandate. My favourites for
completely different reasons are Ken Nadvornick's train
on the crossing and Jim Kramer's dog running in the shallows.

Ken demonstrates the power of a well planned photo shoot
that results in an image that anyone should be proud of.
Jim's image has more human emotion of a frozen moment in
time capturing the sheer joy of a dog in motion. Both images
pass my criterion if hung on a wall will I still enjoy them a
month or a year from now. Both tell a story, the starting
line for the imagination.

Jim Kramerhttp://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617130

No question dog in motion, meets the mandate. The dog's
face says it all, " I am happy to be here" . There is a lot of
detail, the kind of picture that you don't get tired of.

This was at a UKC Hunt Test. The dog had just been released to
retrieve two ducks. Hell yeah the dog was happy! :-)

Thanks for commenting,
Jim

Old May 31st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Walter Banks wrote:

Paul Furman http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79657023

A water soaked cormorant taking flight. A cormorant struggles
into the air. It is still dragging on the water. This is a tough image
to get both bird and water exposed correctly especially when
looking into the light. The cormorant's head is under exposed.
A better story might have been including the splash marks
behind the cormorant if the original included them.

Thanks for the comments Walter. I could have left a bit more of the
splash trail but it was basically a 1/4 crop of the lower right corner &
I wanted the bird fairly large in the frame. Actually I just tried that
& it works well, I thought I needed space in front of the bird per
standard rules but more white spray trail looks good. BTW here's a full
pixel crop:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2007-05-28-sailing/crop&PG=2&PIC=11
Even stopped down two stops, only the rear wing was in focus! It was
awfully tough trying to track these buggers with a huge manual focus
lens on a bobbing & swaying sailboat.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old May 31st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Paul Furman wrote:
No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have been
better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49

-butterfly taking flight

I think it would have made a better first choice.