Whale

Old January 19th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Default Whale

I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

Old January 19th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Scott W wrote:
This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Baby needs the 600 f/4 IS.
With a gyro, of course.

Old January 19th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

OMG Scott! What a huge, beautiful whale! Man! You got very close
indeed. I bet you felt the aftermath when he hit the water! Excellent
shots!
Helen

Old January 19th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas

oups.com...
:
: Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
: got this.
: http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
:
: Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
: got this one.
: http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
:
: This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
: and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.
:
: Scott
:
----------------------------
Great Scott!
Oh man your heart must have been thumping in your chest like a steam train.
I relate to your fear at getting too close, mate. Those things are like
HUGE.

Last year while I was out getting a few lessons in the Bocar(
http://www.photosbydouglas.com/fun/the_car.jpg) I looked out the window at
this bloke: http://www.photosbydouglas.com/fun/the_fish.jpg After I stopped
and gained my composure (it takes a bit to make an emergency stop in one of
these babies), he popped up right beside me to say g'day mate:
http://www.photosbydouglas.com/fun/gday_mate.jpg
Boy... Was I scared. All of a sudden, surrounded by whales with the tide
turning, night coming and legally unable to start the engines while whales
are close.

Not like you mate, you could just paddle like fury and get the hell out of
there. Good stuff Scott. Brave bloke indeed. Out with the Whales in a 25
pound canoe... And remembered to take your camera too!. Can I have your
autograph? The world need more heroes like you. Too many of them just
disappear.

Douglas

Old January 20th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Annika1980 wrote:
Scott W wrote:
This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Baby needs the 600 f/4 IS.
With a gyro, of course.

And a much larger canoe.... with its own gyro.

Nice work, Scott!

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 20th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

Annika1980 wrote:
Baby needs the 600 f/4 IS.
With a gyro, of course.

But wouldn't that weigh more than his canoe?

Old January 20th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

William Graham wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Baby needs the 600 f/4 IS.
With a gyro, of course.

But wouldn't that weigh more than his canoe?

Of course, as noted in that part of my post you deleted.

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 20th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Scott W wrote:
I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original

Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
got this.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original

Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
got this one.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original

This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is
breaching and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

Scott

I'm not sure which is more bone-chilling while kayaking...
....Seeing a big guy like that splashing...
....or seeing THIS big TORPEDO coming straigh for you:
Mo
and then the little one showed up...and disappeared rightnext to me:

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 20th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:

I'm not sure which is more bone-chilling while kayaking...
...Seeing a big guy like that splashing...
...or seeing THIS big TORPEDO coming straigh for you:
Mo
and then the little one showed up...and disappeared rightnext to me:

-MarkČ

At least my whale does not have teeth, I think I would rather be next
to a humpback.

Cool photos BTW.

Scott

Old January 20th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Baby needs the 600 f/4 IS.
With a gyro, of course.

But wouldn't that weigh more than his canoe?

Of course, as noted in that part of my post you deleted.

--
john mcwilliams

I must have missed that....But that wouldn't sink it necessarily
anyway....It would have to weigh more than the canoe displaces........

Whale Scott W Digital Photography 15 January 21st 07 02:32 AM
Whale and Dolphin Video Danny Dot Photographing Nature 1 August 31st 06 12:29 AM
whale pictures Gordon Photographing Nature 5 January 22nd 06 09:30 PM