(PIC) The reason for more contrast

Old November 30th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default (PIC) The reason for more contrast

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/cabin.htm

Fog - the the great contrast killer.

Comments and feelings will probably be appreciated if shared.

Jim

Old November 30th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 30 Nov 2005 11:47:00 -0800, "JimKramer" wrote:

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/cabin.htm

Fog - the the great contrast killer.

Giving us the "seriously UNtweaked in PS" version would probably be
more helpful.

--
Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://cmpg.org
Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://rob.rnovak.net
Old November 30th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Consider it done, same page, scroll down.
Jim

Old December 1st 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article .com,
says...
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/cabin.htm

Fog - the the great contrast killer.

Comments and feelings will probably be appreciated if shared.

Jim

I think the tweaked version could probably be tweaked a little more,
perhaps by using the curves tool and the eyedroppers to locate what
should be black and what should be white.

Run Neat Image over it to remove the grain completely and I think you
will have a very nice shot.

--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Old December 1st 05, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

JimKramer wrote:
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/cabin.htm

Fog - the the great contrast killer.

Comments and feelings will probably be appreciated if shared.

Jim

Personally I prefer the un-photoshopped version (other than the dust).
Maybe it could do with a tad less exposure, but I think it's pretty nice
as is. Fog is always going to be low contrast, so instead of trying to
create contrast that isn't there, I would prefer to emphasise the lack
of contrast and focus on the fogginess of it. Perhaps printing on a bit
harder grade of paper would bring a little more contrast out of it, if
that's what you are looking for.
Old December 1st 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

JimKramer wrote:

Consider it done, same page, scroll down.
Jim

That's actually a different picture though.
Old December 1st 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Shhh, please don't tell anybody. They are adjacent frames. I liked the
first one more, mostly because of the position of the ducks, and thus
fiddled with it more. I.e., past the point of keeping the original
scan.

Jim

Old December 1st 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Already did that, the actual image on film is about a stop and a half
of latitude. I was mildly surprised I could pull as much as I did out
of it.

I've ordered a B&W filter set and I'll try again if the weather
will cooperate; maybe 6 days a year are that foggy, typically in Spring
:-)

Jim

Old December 4th 05, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

JimKramer wrote:
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/cabin.htm

Fog - the the great contrast killer.

Comments and feelings will probably be appreciated if shared.

Jim

I will second the recommendation to use Ilfotec DD-X developer. Another
thing you could try, if you want to see how another film responds, is to
use Ilford SFX, and develop as normal film film (not infrared simulation).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old December 4th 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

After looking online for Ilford's SFX and finding a long list of
"where's my SFX film?" questions, any thoughts on where I could find
some?

This link came up too:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/chart/sc...-paterson.html

Ilford's Info sheet online for SFX is copyrighted 2002. Do they still
make it?

Thanks,
Jim