If the Canon 5D is real...

Old August 12th 05, 09:27 AM
Rox-off

Default If the Canon 5D is real...

There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

I've had another look at the PDF and although the logo looks a bit dodgy,
I think it might be legit. In which case the ante gets raised again!

One thing I know for sure is I ain't getting caught again! I will wait for
Nikon to bring out their full-frame DSLR before I ever buy another one. Or
maybe it would be feasible to buy a D2x and a 12-24mm DX lens when that
happens (falling prices).

Hmm...

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!
email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Old August 12th 05, 10:53 AM
Steve Franklin

I agree about waiting. The full frame version surely is something that will
happen.

And what happens to those D spec lenses? Do they then work on a full frame
sensor?

news

Old August 12th 05, 11:13 AM
Rox-off

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:53:09 +1000, Steve Franklin wrote:

I agree about waiting. The full frame version surely is something that
will happen.

And what happens to those D spec lenses? Do they then work on a full frame
sensor?

If you mean the DX lenses, then yes, they wouldn't be compatible with a
full frame sensor, except for the 12-24mm which would be fine from 18-24mm.

I think this may catch Nikon R&D by surprise (assuming it's legit),
because everything from Nikon seems to suggest that they are sticking with
the 1.5x multiplier format. If the sales of the D2x start slipping as a
result of the 5D then they will have to bring in a counter.

That picture on the 5D PDF looks dodgy, but the specifications all seem to
tie up.

As a Nikon shooter I would have to say it's definitely time to play "wait
and see" rather than going for the D2x (unless you are happy with the 1.5x
multiplier and DX lenses). Personally I would love to see a digital
full-frame version of the F100 offering the same spec. That's when I will
upgrade.

Who knows, maybe Nikon will surprise everyone and bring out digital backs
for all their current SLR's. Imagine that! ;-)

Old August 12th 05, 12:02 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

A bit unlikely, IMO.

Most 1DMkII users probably need the speed, and ruggedness (e.g.
weather proofing, more shutter actuations before it wears-out), and
the battery-life of that model. The slightly smaller than Full Frame
images also transmit faster and consume less storage space. It's
intended for an entirely different users group.

Bart

Old August 12th 05, 12:42 PM
Benedikt Schenker

Rox-off wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:53:09 +1000, Steve Franklin wrote:

I agree about waiting. The full frame version surely is something
that will happen.

I'm not sure, respectively I definitely doubt that.

I think this may catch Nikon R&D by surprise (assuming it's legit),
because everything from Nikon seems to suggest that they are sticking
with the 1.5x multiplier format.

I think Nikon has a lot of good reasons to do so.

If the sales of the D2x start slipping as a
result of the 5D then they will have to bring in a counter.

Will they? I doubt

As a Nikon shooter I would have to say it's definitely time to play
"wait and see" rather than going for the D2x (unless you are happy with
the 1.5x multiplier and DX lenses). Personally I would love to see a
digital full-frame version of the F100 offering the same spec.
That's when I will upgrade.

I own a D100. I most probably get the mystical D200, when it comes. The
D2x is just too big, too heavy and also to expensive for me. The 1.5
multiplier is no issue for me. Yes, there are some purely theoretical
and some more practical reasons favoring a multiplier of 1, but let's
face it:

- Digital sensors with a multiplayer smaller the 1.3 or so need new
glass, especily WA lenses. Look at the results from the side-by-side
shootout Bjorn did on http://www.naturfotograf.com/. Bee it old Nikon
or old Canon Lenses, both are not perfectly suited for digital sensors
larger than multiplier 1.3 or so.

- With a multiplier 1.5 all the good old lenses remain very well usable

- Yes, you need a new WA, but that's one new lens compared to all new
lenses

Furthermore, look what Canon needed to do to get something comparably
priced to a D2x with a multiplier 1. This camera is in many aspects
cheapish, even when compared to the 20d (FPS, X-Sync). Furthermore they
pack some pure amateur features in the cam, like digital filtering.
This is an other reason for me for hoping Nikon sticks to the 1.5
multiplier for the model below the D2x. I want a complete camera,
lighter, smaller and a little bit less expensive. Not a stripped down
thing. Not stripped down like the 5D. Stipped down to the abolute
minimum, except for the sensor size.

Benedikt

PS: I'm waiting for the first comments "my new 5D and the
17-35/17-35/17-40 makes much worse pictures than my D20 and the
10-22" (and then some of the Canon maniacs will insult this cap for
not understanding what he's doing. "FF is always *far better* than
anything else"

Old August 12th 05, 01:08 PM
Rox-off

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 04:42:32 -0700, Benedikt Schenker wrote:

Will they? I doubt

I think that if the consumers want it they will have to build it.

- Digital sensors with a multiplayer smaller the 1.3 or so need new glass,
especily WA lenses. Look at the results from the side-by-side shootout
Bjorn did on http://www.naturfotograf.com/. Bee it old Nikon or old Canon
Lenses, both are not perfectly suited for digital sensors larger than
multiplier 1.3 or so.

- With a multiplier 1.5 all the good old lenses remain very well usable

They do, but the effective focal lengths change, so a 28-70mm lens becomes
not such a useful 42-105mm zoom. Personally I would prefer a full frame
sensor that I can use my existing lenses on instead of a half frame one.

Something else that Nikon MUST address if they are going to bring out a
semi-pro DSLR is that of metering with older non-CPU lenses. That is a big
draw for me. As nice as the D70 is, it truly sucks that they didn't
include metering for non-CPU lenses.

Old August 12th 05, 01:42 PM
Darrell

"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

I've had another look at the PDF and although the logo looks a bit dodgy,
I think it might be legit. In which case the ante gets raised again!

One thing I know for sure is I ain't getting caught again! I will wait for
Nikon to bring out their full-frame DSLR before I ever buy another one. Or
maybe it would be feasible to buy a D2x and a 12-24mm DX lens when that
happens (falling prices).

Hmm...

Look at the PDF properties, it's for another product. The rearview shows the
pop-up flash of the 20D but it's not visible in the frontview. This document
also doesn't make sense, it's in Spanish but oddly it has specs in English,
it it was a real document it should all be in a single language.

As for 1D mk.II owners being unhappy, I doubt it. If I spent CDN $5500 on a
pro dSLR, I would expect that a newer, better, faster and cheaper camera
would show up. We'll see on August 22.

Old August 12th 05, 02:39 PM
l e o

Darrell wrote:
"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
[...]

Open your eyes. 5D does NOT have pop-up flash, not in spec, not in rear
view photo either. Now, look at 20D and see what a pop-up flash looks like.
Old August 12th 05, 02:55 PM
l e o

Darrell wrote:
"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
[...]

The 5D spec doesn't have these cruial words as in 20D/350D/Elan 7N:

built-in, retractable, pop-up
Old August 12th 05, 07:36 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Rox-off wrote:

As a Nikon shooter I would have to say it's definitely time to play "wait
and see" rather than going for the D2x (unless you are happy with the 1.5x
multiplier and DX lenses). Personally I would love to see a digital
full-frame version of the F100 offering the same spec. That's when I will
upgrade.

I don't get it. Look at the specs for that alleged 5D. It's *way* below
the D2x in every way except pixel count, and the fact that it's full-frame.
It's not a pro-level camera. It wouldn't have turned my head one little
bit when I was looking to buy a D2x.

On the other hand, I have no desire to go full-frame; I don't see the
attraction. The minor benefits don't interest me compared with the
problems that will likely invalidate half of my lenses. I really hope
Nikon figures out how to stick with 1.5x for the long haul.

--
Jeremy |