Sigma Four Thirds 20D-Killer rumor

Old May 20th 05, 12:27 AM
George Preddy

"Norman" wrote in :

George Preddy wrote:

I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
going to be HOT.

Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful,
but it also clouds the buying process for an already confused
first time digital SLR buyer. :-(

(I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research, and
now this.)

The Oly lenses are acceptable until the Sigma Four Thirds glass is
released, but the bodies are not quite there yet. I would wait for
the Sigma. If you want to buy a DSLR now and you don't want to wait,
you can find really good deals on the Sigma SD9 and SD10 if you look
around.

Old May 20th 05, 12:32 AM
Tony

And if you compare it to the space program it is downright cheap.
Unfortunately what it compares best to is a box camera with a bad lens,
making the Sigma an very bad bargain indeed.
--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"George Preddy" wrote in message
0...
RichA wrote in
:

On 19 May 2005 08:07:04 +0200, George Preddy
wrote:

I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
going to be HOT.

Honestly, if the Fuji S3 with it's sensor hasn't killed the
CMOSers, then I doubt any Foveon sensor will. But I will be
interested in seeing what kind of pricing Sigma is going to go
with. Their current offering is an enigma; A pricey camera with
arguably out of of date specs.

The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
is simply unbeatable.

Old May 20th 05, 12:51 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Hannah" wrote in message
news

"George Preddy" wrote in message
0...

an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed

Improved and Foveon, words to conjure with. It would, from what I've seen
and heard, be extraordinarily difficult to make it any worse. Any change
whatsoever could only possibly be an improvement.

This is correct. The Sigma SD9 and SD10 are ranked as the worst of the worst
among digital SLRs, and much of this is due to the sensor's low resolution,
poor color separation, and high noise levels. Sigma doesn't even register in
terms of market share, being well under 1/10 of 1%.

Unless Sigma comes out with a camera with a Canon or Nikon lens mount, they
have no chance of succeeding. It's not just the body that matters, it's
lenses as well, and the Sigma lenses are not well-regarded. Personally I'd
love to see some more competition in the digital SLR market, since
domination by Canon and Nikon will lead to higher prices as they engage in
"gentle collusion." Judging from the previous Sigma cameras, I wouldn't hold
my breath that Sigma will provide that competition. It's too bad, everyone
was rooting for Foveon, but silicon color separation proved to be more
problematic than anticipated.

A 5.2 megapixel Foveon sensor would be a big improvement over the present
3.4 megapixel sensor used in the Sigma SD9 and SD10, but Canon is already at
8 megapixels and Nikon is at 6 megapixels. Not many people are dumb enough
to fall for the x3 pixel count numbers that have been promulgated by Sigma.

For the facts about Sigma digital SLRs, please visit http://sigmasd10.com.

Old May 20th 05, 01:06 AM
RichA

On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:28:43 GMT, Chris Brown

George Preddy wrote:

My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.

Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.

Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.
-Rich
Old May 20th 05, 01:34 AM
Sandy Barrie

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Unless Sigma comes out with a camera with a Canon or Nikon lens mount, they
have no chance of succeeding. It's not just the body that matters, it's
lenses as well, and the Sigma lenses are not well-regarded. Personally I'd
love to see some more competition in the digital SLR market, since

hey wait a minuit, what is wrong with sigma lenses.

although I have a Canon 20d, I also have sigma lens 12-24mm, and i find
it beats my canon lens.. sharp as a tack, and no colour fringing in
extreme blowups.

I just wish it would take a proper polariser.. (it has a circular hood
that fits over its petal hood, which is supposed to take a 82 mm
polariser, but anything put in that position causes vignetting...

I am trying to get a canon eos body to try film in it as it covers full
frame. unbelievable.

regards

sandy
Old May 20th 05, 01:39 AM
Chrlz

Not that I believe a word of rumours coming from a long-discredited
source (or a trolling wannabe)..

But there I was, thinking that the 4/3 format actually had a real
chance of being the next big thing if only another big manufacturer
really got serious about it, and they got a decent sensor. If this is
actually true, and Sigma/Foveon puts their camera and sensor
`technology` (for want of a better phrase) behind it, it is DOOMED.

Oh well, I'd love to be proven wrong..

Stop Press!! (Forgive my flippancy) Hey, maybe George is right - look
what I found!!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0009/00...foveon16mp.asp

Yes, "Foveon to challenge with 16 megapixels", says the headline. FROM
SEPTEMBER 2000. (O:

That's nearly 5 years ago, George. And here we are, *further away* by
the look of it, because all we have now is your rumour. No new press
release..

Old May 20th 05, 02:23 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , George
Preddy wrote:

The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
is simply unbeatable.

Oh yeah! Nothing like an overpriced 3.42MP kiddie toy.
Old May 20th 05, 02:24 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , RichA
wrote:

Well, if the 3.4 megapixel images from the SD10 compare well
to the 6 megapixel images from the Canon 10D and Nikon D100,
it seems reasonable that a 5 meg version will do alright.

You like those Homer Simpson skin tones too?
Old May 20th 05, 02:25 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Sandy
Barrie wrote:

hey wait a minuit, what is wrong with sigma lenses.

They're ca-ca.
Old May 20th 05, 03:27 AM
grant kinsley

On 19 May 2005 23:55:34 +0200, George Preddy
wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in
link.net:

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
et...
In rec.photo.digital George Preddy
wrote:
I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured
by a licensed third-party company. The announcement will
probably happen before the end of this summer, for a November
or December shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet.
This DSLR is going to be HOT.

After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe
to say ... LIAR.

Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I
have heard it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may
actually be two new models, both with the same sensor, but one
will be entry-level and one will be prosumer. It reportedly will
use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6 megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with
a 1.5 crop factor.

Correct. Sigma will also be releasing a new body that can be used
with all of their existing lenses, as well as the Four Thirds body
and full range of lenses for the Four Thirds platform.

Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown.

My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects. Expect the
announcements before the end of this summer.

Preddy, nothing about you or anything you have to say is credible