Why I love digital

Old March 27th 05, 01:13 PM
mike regish

That sux. I noticed the little cap for the flash doesn't come off readily. I
won't force it and I haven't read through the whole manual yet, but I was
planning on getting a better flash for it as the one on it seems pretty
weak. What do you mean by "techs"? Does it have to go back to the
manufacturer?

Also, I got kind of a scare the first couple of times I used the flash. It
kind of makes a sound like electrical arcing, but I think it's just the
sound it makes for the preflash. Is that what yours does, too? And is that a
programmed camera sound or just the sound of the capacitor?

mike

"retoohs" wrote in message

Great camera ike. I've had mine a couple of months now. If you plan on
using it with the 5600HS flash you will have to send them both in to the
techs to get the Pre-Flash adjusted.

Alan

Old March 27th 05, 01:59 PM
Andy

"mike regish" wrote in message
My 7D was waiting for me when I got home from work Friday. I took it out
of the box and knew I was going to love this camera. But looking at all
the buttons dials, knobs and little hidden gizmos on it, I figured I'd be
playing with it at least a couple of weeks just to get the basics.

This is why I chose Canon. It is easy tool for taking professional pictures.
Nikon looks like a kiddie toy.

Old March 27th 05, 02:28 PM
mike regish

You'd be surprised (I know I was) at how simple the menu navigation and
intuitiveness is on this camera. Like I say, it looked daunting when I first
looked at it, but I'm already fairly proficient with it and I've had it less
than 2 days. And I'm not a real quick study, either. :-)

I got to pick up a Canon rebel when they first came out and I was surprised
at how light it was. I know most people probably prefer a lightweight
camera, but I like something with some weight to it and the 7D has some. It
just feels solid. I think that hanging it around my neck with the relatively
narrow strap will get uncomfortable after a couple of hours, but I will
either get a wider strap or a cushion for it. The handgrip has finger
contours and a textured rubber that just fits perfectly in the hand. All the
buttons you might need for shooting are right where your fingers can get
them. The dial controls on top have a locking button that you have to press
in order to turn them. I think I could live without these as you're unlikely
to turn them unintentionally, but this is about the only thing that's the
least bit clumsy on the camera. I also wish the strap had hooks because I
found that picking up the camera in the plane, I had to be careful to grab
it under the strap to get a good grip. I'd like to be able to remove and
replace it easier, but that's minor. I'll get used to it.

I noticed the price on the 6 meg Canon came down a lot. If this camera
hadn't come out with the anti shake, I would have gotten the Rebel, but for
aerial stuff that antishake is priceless. I was getting good shots with the
lens out to about 70 or 80 mm (105 to 120 equivalent) even in slightly bumpy
air. In calm conditions I have no doubt I can get the lens all the way out
to 105.

mike

Old March 27th 05, 02:58 PM
Ron Hunter

SeaShel wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

Scott W wrote:

Hey Mike,

It sounds like you are having a great time with you camera.

So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

There are a lot of places that can host photo, each person seems to
have the own favorite, I use Pbase.com, $23/year for 200MB of
storage. Pbase pretty much does everything for you and is very easy
to use. Scott

Wouldn't work well for me as 200 meg wouldn't be nearly enough!
I do like their quality, however.

Smugmug.com is 30/year, no ads, and unlimited space for your photos; you
don't have to resize them to upload them. You can look in the domain of my
(real) email address; it links to my smugmug site. I don't claim top photog
skills but I do love the unlimited feature of smugmug.

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

'Unlimited' is a bit hard to believe. You think they would get upset if
I tried to load the entire Terra-server image content? Grin.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 27th 05, 02:58 PM
Ron Hunter

Siggy wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning, the
EXIF data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it should!

Histogram?

No, the EXIF data is all about camera settings, not image content.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 27th 05, 03:00 PM
Ron Hunter

mike regish wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hey Mike,

It sounds like you are having a great time with you camera.

I love it. I'll be having a ball learning all the little things it can do.

So when you were shooting from the air where you the one flying?

Yep. I've got a nice stable plane with a little window I can flip down and
stick the lens out. It pretty much flies hands off even in somewhat bumpy
air.

There are a lot of places that can host photo, each person seems to
have the own favorite, I use Pbase.com, $23/year for 200MB of storage.
Pbase pretty much does everything for you and is very easy to use.

I've got 10 meg of webspace for free with my server. Just have to figure out
how to use it, but I'll check out Pbase.

mike

Posting a few digital images will exhaust 10 meg of storage in minutes!

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 27th 05, 03:01 PM
Ron Hunter

mike regish wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Don't forget one of the best features of digital for learning, the EXIF
data to tell you WHY your picture didn't look like it should!

What's EXIF? All the exposure info, I'm guessing? That IS great on this
camera. My Canon had very little info.

mike

EXIF is basically a record of the camera settings, manual and automatic,
for each picture, along with the exact time of the picture (assuming you
keep the clock set correctly).

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 27th 05, 03:04 PM
Andy

"Andy" wrote in message

This is why I chose Canon. It is easy tool for taking professional
pictures. Nikon looks like a kiddie toy.

For aerial staff Canon has an army of Image Stabilizing ( anti shake) lenses
which covers every focal length starting from 17 mm to 600 mm.
Internal camera's anti shake system can not handle heavy lenses, so Canon
beats Nikon for a couple of stops. I also love Canon's Eye control system
available in many Canon's cameras. It allows me perfectly compose motion
pictures what is not possible with other cameras having automatic focus
system without manual prefocusing. My Canon 3 focuses for every thing I look
through my viewfinder, it perfectly tracks a moving subjects and IS lenses
help me reduce blurs caused by camera shake while handholding. Simply
amazing, I would not forgive myself if I invested in Nikon system when I was
making my final decision.

Regardless handholding. To avoid blurred pictures you should use shutter
speed equal or shorter than lens length. For example 1/60 s for 50 mm lens.
1/125 s for 100 mm lens, 1/500 s for 500 mm lens....

Old March 27th 05, 03:04 PM
Ron Hunter

mike regish wrote:
[...]

I never have been able to deal with a neckstrap. For one thing, it
makes me feel hot all the time, and for another, I can't imagine hanging
a camera around my neck so that any time I bend forward to look as
something, the lens of the camera slams into whatever is below my
head... That's one reason I won't buy a camera I can't pocket.

--
Ron Hunter
Old March 27th 05, 03:11 PM
mike regish

I usually resize mine to 800x600 jpegs at 72 dpi. You can get quite a few in
10 megs that way.

mike