[Whine] Filter Sizes

Old October 21st 04, 01:56 AM
Michael Benveniste

Default [Whine] Filter Sizes

While I was reading the Contessa 35 thread about filter sizes, my
latest lens purchase arrived. It requires a 67mm filter.

With this addition, the following filter ring sizes are represented
in my collection:

25.5mm (Pentax), 28mm (Nikon), 30.5mm (Pentax), 37.5mm (Pentax),
46mm (Nikon), 49mm (Pentax), 52mm (Nikon), 55mm (Tokina),
58mm (Pentax), 62mm (Nikon), 67mm (Pentax), 72mm (Nikon),
77mm (Nikon and Tokina) and 82mm (Sigma, sort of).

I guess I should be grateful for step-up rings...

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old October 21st 04, 04:12 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
While I was reading the Contessa 35 thread about filter sizes, my
latest lens purchase arrived. It requires a 67mm filter.

With this addition, the following filter ring sizes are represented
in my collection:

25.5mm (Pentax), 28mm (Nikon), 30.5mm (Pentax), 37.5mm (Pentax),
46mm (Nikon), 49mm (Pentax), 52mm (Nikon), 55mm (Tokina),
58mm (Pentax), 62mm (Nikon), 67mm (Pentax), 72mm (Nikon),
77mm (Nikon and Tokina) and 82mm (Sigma, sort of).

I guess I should be grateful for step-up rings...

Just use 82mm filters on all of them... including the Coolpix

Old October 21st 04, 04:41 AM
Phil Stripling

Michael Benveniste writes:

I guess I should be grateful for step-up rings...

Well, step-down rings. I'd like to see the results when you 'step up' the
28mm Nikon filter to your 62mm Nikon lens. :-

It happens that all my Nikons are 62, and by 67 lenses are, uh, 67. :-
I'll leave that one to be figured out.

Old October 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Nick Zentena

Michael A. Covington wrote:

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
While I was reading the Contessa 35 thread about filter sizes, my
latest lens purchase arrived. It requires a 67mm filter.

With this addition, the following filter ring sizes are represented
in my collection:

25.5mm (Pentax), 28mm (Nikon), 30.5mm (Pentax), 37.5mm (Pentax),
46mm (Nikon), 49mm (Pentax), 52mm (Nikon), 55mm (Tokina),
58mm (Pentax), 62mm (Nikon), 67mm (Pentax), 72mm (Nikon),
77mm (Nikon and Tokina) and 82mm (Sigma, sort of).

I guess I should be grateful for step-up rings...

Just use 82mm filters on all of them... including the Coolpix

I use some 82mm on my Claron that takes 35.5mm filters. Funny how
Scheinder is the only company making filters in that size. One of the few
companies making step-up rings to. The B&W rings almost cost more then I
paid for the lens.

Nick

Old October 21st 04, 06:48 PM
Bill Tuthill

Michael Benveniste wrote:

I guess I should be grateful for step-up rings...

How do you deal with integral lens hoods (and so forth)
when you have a step-up ring on some lens?

Old October 21st 04, 06:48 PM
Bill Tuthill

Old October 21st 04, 08:41 PM
Michael Benveniste

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:48:00 -0000, Bill Tuthill wrote:

How do you deal with integral lens hoods (and so forth)
when you have a step-up ring on some lens?

When I have to, I use a generic rubber lens hood. I also
have spare 62, 72, and 77mm lens caps. I wish I had a more
interesting solution, but there you go.

--
Michael Benveniste --