(mostly OT) Venting

Old August 25th 04, 08:11 PM
Martin Francis

Default (mostly OT) Venting

I've been sat here for ages, trying to think what to type. There just seems
to be so many things to complain about or question right now. Because I am
in transition; I am looking for a new job, and new camera systems.
Everything is changing- life has stopped being simple. At uni I simply got
up every morn- er, afternoon and did what I needed to do before the deadline
hit. At work I got up every morning to sell cameras to morons. I had a
'Blad, I had a Contax, everything was simple.

But then I left uni, I had debts, so I sold everything and told myself to do
a better job next time. I planned all this new stuff i'd buy- a top-end
'Blad, a Leica SLR (or was it RF? or Contax SLR? or Canon DSLR??), Ilford
film... and then I was told I wouldn't be offered a full time position at my
job and would simply be temping when people went on holiday (trans:
vacation). So now I need a job, and that makes planning for new cameras so
much harder. Right now i'm subsisting on a crappy digital whatnot and a 35mm
point and shoot, and while I plan every day for the systems I want to buy,
with all sorts of excellent reasons why I must buy this and not buy that, it
all seems remarkably pointless.

Perhaps I should get a(nother) menial shop job. And a life.

no, and yes...."

Old August 25th 04, 08:49 PM
jimkramer

"Martin Francis" wrote in message
[...]

Martin,

First, been there, done that, didn’t like it.

Plan A:

Get off your arse and stop moping; Go and get a job, Any job, to pay your
bills.

The university has a job placement service, use it.

When is your next photography job scheduled?

When is your next photo show?

Who have you networked with at the local photography club?

Have you hit up the local photographers to be an assistant? Yeah, nobody
likes it, but you have to pay your dues somehow.

Plan B:

Marry some rich bird that will get you what ever you want.

Don’t give up.

If plan B works out, I’d like to be adopted. I can be the foreign son you
wish you never had.

Good luck,

Jim Kramer

Old August 25th 04, 09:24 PM
Gordon Moat

Martin Francis wrote:

I've been sat here for ages, trying to think what to type. There just seems
to be so many things to complain about or question right now. Because I am
in transition; I am looking for a new job, and new camera systems.
Everything is changing- life has stopped being simple. At uni I simply got
up every morn- er, afternoon and did what I needed to do before the deadline
hit. At work I got up every morning to sell cameras to morons. I had a
'Blad, I had a Contax, everything was simple.

Sounds a little like post graduation depression. :-(

But then I left uni, I had debts, so I sold everything and told myself to do
a better job next time. I planned all this new stuff i'd buy- a top-end
'Blad, a Leica SLR (or was it RF? or Contax SLR? or Canon DSLR??), Ilford
film... and then I was told I wouldn't be offered a full time position at my
job and would simply be temping when people went on holiday (trans:
vacation). So now I need a job, and that makes planning for new cameras so
much harder. Right now i'm subsisting on a crappy digital whatnot and a 35mm
point and shoot, and while I plan every day for the systems I want to buy,
with all sorts of excellent reasons why I must buy this and not buy that, it
all seems remarkably pointless.

No matter what you have to make images, your creative vision should still be
there. Even if the mechanical (or electric) marvel is not in your hands, you
should be able to come up with some compelling and creative images. You have
some nice image examples, and you should realize that it was you, and not the
camera, that created those images.

Perhaps I should get a(nother) menial shop job. And a life.

A life with a creative profession can be very tough at times. It can be feast
or famine. When things are going well, they can be really great . . . though
when times are rough, there can be a great vacuum of nothingness.

Snap out of it Martin . . . get off the computer keyboard, and do something
else. Take a break, and go take some photos tomorrow.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old August 25th 04, 11:01 PM
Alan Browne

Martin Francis wrote:

Perhaps I should get a(nother) menial shop job. And a life.

There is nothing wrong with getting a menial job if it sustains
you and provides modest cash ... which you can use in the
furtherance of your career. Regarding equipment ... that might
be your last considerations, and perhaps "market" should be your
first ... the rest shall follow.

When I was a flight instructor, I could hardly put away cash in
order to get my IFR and multi ratings. The trick, as other
instructors did, was to have another steadier source of income to
put aside until critical ma$$ was reached.

Old August 26th 04, 03:25 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Martin Francis" wrote in
:

[...]

I can't believe that anyone on this newsgroup has in any way
encouraged you in respect to that last bit ;-)

At this point, I would suggest not worrying about the camera
equipment for a while. I've mentioned before, you've whipped through quite
a few equipment systems in a very short length of time - probably not long
enough to really get to know any of them.

There are two basic approaches:

One, that cameras are cool little fiddly bits and having a new one is
always fun. This is how the collectors look at it, and if that's the hobby,
fine. The delight pales fast, however, and usually requires a lot of money
to support the urge to get more fiddly bits.

Two, that the camera is only a tool, a step in the process of
achieving the goal, which is the image. In this case, there are limitations
to every system you look at, and you have to work around something, no
matter what. Don't worry about what it can't do, and instead explore what
it *can* (the glass is half-full, yeah yeah, I can say this a lot better
than I can do it myself). Part of the real-world affect is that the
gadget/option/ability that you think you need in a camera is often not what
you imagine it to be, nor does it improve what you do or give you that
edge.

I fretted for years over not having a spot meter in my current camera
bodies, and there are photos I've taken that would have been improved, had
I used it. But had I the presence of mind to even be thinking in those
terms, I could have improved most of those photos by taking the time to
think about the conditions anyway, spot meter or no. It wasn't the lack of
the meter, it was the lack of foresight.

Same holds true for lenses. It's great to have a selection, but are
you going to be carrying them all, and have the crucial one fitted, when
that "amazing image" presents itself? I want a camera that points exactly
where I'm looking and balances exposure and locks focus instantly and
catches the photo the moment my mind recognizes it's a good shot, with
unlimited ISO settings and intuitive depth-of-field. And Isaac Asimov
wanted a word-processor that read his thoughts, put them in coherent order,
packaged up the story and sent it to his editors... ;-)

But failing that, the challenge is using what you can lay your hands
on. Grab a cheap used SLR system and concentrate on the images.

Advice on the jobs will have to come from someone far more qualified.
The best I can say is "Don't work for idiots" but I'm not sure that's
possible...

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net