Merging panorama shots

Old December 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Top Spin

Default Merging panorama shots

What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?

Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
using a tripod?

Thanks

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Old December 28th 04, 12:50 AM
Jay Beckman

"Top Spin" wrote in message
What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?

Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
using a tripod?

Thanks

I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
job!

I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
that's what you prefer.

And no, you don't always need a tripod, but it does help in not letting your
horizon wander too much.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Old December 28th 04, 02:02 AM
Top Spin

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:50:37 -0700, "Jay Beckman"
wrote:

"Top Spin" wrote in message
.. .
What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?

Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
using a tripod?

Thanks

I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
job!

I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
that's what you prefer.

And no, you don't always need a tripod, but it does help in not letting your
horizon wander too much.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Has After Shot been discontinued? I was able to locate several places
to download it, but the Jasc website (http://www.jasc.com/products/?)
does not list After Shot and the developer homepage link on Tucows
(http://www.tucows.com/preview/252321.html) is not good.

Thanks

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

TS...

Dunno. It's possible that it has been discontinued, I'm not sure though.

I'm something of a software packrat and if it works, I usually resist
running out for something else just because...

I'm hopeful that someone will offer an alternative for you.

Regards,

Jay

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

Per Elements 3 Help, Photomerge available in MAC only...

:O(

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

PS...Chuck, how's that Michigan winter...I used to be a Detroiter...

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

Disregard...I'm wrong...

Found it in the Editor...was looking in the browser...my bad.

Jay B

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions
available.

And Elements 2 in Windows also.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Uses a Kodak DC4800

Old December 28th 04, 06:46 AM
Matt Ion

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Top Spin" wrote in message

What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?

Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
using a tripod?

Thanks

I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
job!

I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
that's what you prefer.

IrfanView does a fair-to-middlin' stitch job, for freeware...

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

I have used a copy of Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 which came with my Canon S520
printer about 18 months ago for this.
Seems to work ok, but not spectacular when you have more than 2 photos to
"stitch" as the photo becomes very wide (or alternatively not very high).

I would make sure I overlapped the photos so that the software has something
(common bits) to work with.

Gerrit