Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

Old September 14th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

J. Clarke wrote:
In article , am says...

You've managed to entirely distort what I'm saying,
twice. What I said was fairly simple: Price gouging is
dishonest and I avoid doing business with dishonest
people.

So let's see, corporation that do business with the "price gougers" make
a lot of money and you don't make much money, so who's being smart and
who's being stupid?

So you're saying "being smart" equals "making a lot of
money", and not making a lot of money equals "being stupid"?

Next you'll be saying that the ones who make lots of money
already have salvation by God (proof being that they are
successful), while the others, well, aren't predestined to be
saved. (Protestant Work Ethics)

And in the next step you'll allow the successful to ride
roughshod over the successless, as the former can't do
anything wrong and the latter are anyway a lost cause.

That's partly for my sake and partly as a matter
of principle: If I don't support them they'll be that much
less successful at cheating people, which will benefit both
themselves and others. My view is rooted in a sense that
"virtue is its own reward" and also a sense of citizenship --
that we're all responsible for promoting decency and dignity.

Adobe doesn't particularly want _your_ business so your efforts to
"harm" them by not buying their product are wasted.

Adobe wants *everyones* money!
Go ask them!

You may not agree with that position. (Indeed, these days
most people have become conditioned to think of themselves
as "consumers" rather than citizens... and consumers are like
cattle: their only "social" duty is to eat.) But you should be
able to at least understand what I'm saying. It's very basic
stuff.

I understand what you are asserting. I do not accept that charging the
price that the market will bear for what is positioned as a premium
product is "gouging". By your argument Rolls-Royce and Ferrari are
"gouging" because they charge more for their cars than does Hyundai.

Ah, but to build an additional copy of a car costs real money
(materials, tools, employee time), while the burning of another
CD or DVD --- or another delivery via download --- is dirt cheap.
Adobe shouldn't have to pay more than some cents per additional
download.

As to Ferrari, Rolls-Royce and Hyundai: the former cars cost quite
a bit more to make an additional copy from than the latter, so if
Rolls-Royce and Ferrari would have the same price than Hyundai,
Hyundai would be "gouging".

-Wolfgang
Old September 16th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/14/2012 9:17 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 9/11/2012 9:18 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 9/10/2012 2:28 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
PeterN wrote:

Is buying the program a matter of life % death.

Considering that one more or less needs, say, Office, to read
all the stuff customers send one ... it may well be life or death
for a company, and food or depending on charity for an individual.

MS provides free readers.
WordPerfect reads MS files, just fine,

For both you need to buy Windows.
And I doubt WordPerfect can read every Office file.

Microsoft used the Windows monopoly to force people to buy MS-DOS
(instead of any other DOS), using spurious error messages.
This was illegal, as the courts judged.

Now it uses it's file format monopoly to force people to buy
Windows.

Yawn!

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/open-docx-files-without-word-2010/

Office Word.

And "can open" != "will interpret and render everything, including
complicated macros, exactly like Word"
It's very well known that OpenOffice (which is named in the
article) does *not* do that: even relatively simple Word files
have differences.

Note how the article *proves* that MS is changing formats
every now and then ...

-Wolfgang

And your point is?

--
Peter
Old September 18th 12, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN wrote:

[...]

Obviously, your point is that you don't understand even if one
dances completely naked in front of you and sings and shouts.

-Wolfgang