How do I calibrate my photographic process

Old August 23rd 04, 02:52 AM
Alan Smithee

Default How do I calibrate my photographic process

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Old August 23rd 04, 03:05 AM
Morton Klotz

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:52:01 GMT, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Read Ansel Adams' books, especially The Negative and The Print.
Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 AM
A Concerned Contributer

wrote:

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Read Ansel Adams' books, especially The Negative and The Print.

Yes Ansel is the man!!! But additionally Beyond the Zone System
is another good reference written by Phil Davis.
Old August 23rd 04, 04:07 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 8/22/2004 7:05 PM Morton Klotz spake thus:

wrote:

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Read Ansel Adams' books, especially The Negative and The Print.

And be sure to ignore anything posted here by M. Scarpitti.

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky

Old August 23rd 04, 01:43 PM
jjs

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Others will (or have) recommended "The Negative" and "Beyond the Zone
System", but I would recommend that you NOT start with those books. The Zone
System is far simpler to implement than either of those tomes would suggest.

Please consider getting "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Ralph W. Lambrecht and
Chris Woodhouse. The book is broken up into manageable parts, many of which
you can simply skip over and return to when you find it necessary - or not.
The authors make a quick-course of the Zone System exposure in one chapter
which is very good. You can then read about calibrating your prints and
negatives in another chapter.

Old August 23rd 04, 02:10 PM
jjs

I'm mostly planning on black and white, do I need a step wedge? What are
they for. Thx.

No. You not need one. Get the book: "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Ralph W.
Lambrecht and
Chris Woodhouse. It will save you money in the short run.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:01 PM
Michael Scarpitti

wrote:

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Read Ansel Adams' books, especially The Negative and The Print.

Ignore this book completely.