Wedding - which 35mm films to use

Old October 3rd 04, 01:47 AM
Gregory Blank

If I was him (glad I am not). I would be more careful what I wished
for.

In article ,
Marc 182 wrote:

I wish they would take safety warning labels off of things and allow
the idiots of the world to kill themselves.

THAT snobbery.

Marc

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
The Wogster

William Graham wrote:
"zeitgeist" wrote in message

Two of my friends are getting married. They don't have the funds to

hire a photographer so they were just going to put disposable cameras
around and use those photos. They asked me to take a few shots. By
chance I have studio equipment (Photogenic PowerLights®, Photogenic
PhotoMaster). I was planning to take some posed shots with my studio
lights before the ceremony. The want a shot coming down the aisle and
just two or three during the ceremony. I can use flash when the are
coming down the aisle but not during the ceremony. I don't know what
the lighting situation is in the church.

I was planning on taking Portra 100NC for the posed shots, coming down
the aisle, and some candid shots at the reception. I was thinking
Portra 400NC or Porta 800 for during the ceremony. I was also
thinking a roll of Reala.

They know to take what the get since I am not a professional. Without
me, they will not have much of anything so...

I will be traveling 250 miles the day before and I may not have access
to refrigeration. Any thoughts?

refrigeration is not that critical, do you think they ship it across the
country through deserts and the plains in refrigerated trucks? I think

not.

I do think they use air conditioned trucks, however. I know that I used to
repair office machinery at Berkovitch cigars in Oakland. they were a
middleman for candy bars and cigarettes and film. They had a nice air
conditioned warehouse for all their goodies before they shipped them out in
local trucks and vans to the local stores. I think car air conditioning is
good enough for film.....

I work for a courier company, and neither the delivery trucks or freight
trailers are air-conditioned or refridgerated, so the film is probably
okay, for a day or two, here and there......

Old October 3rd 04, 04:37 AM
Michael Benveniste

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:21:26 +0100, Matt McGrattan
wrote:

Loads of people keep saying that if you screw up the wedding shots you
will lose friends, etc.

Frankly that's a load of crap -- if your friends are the kind of
people who'll fall out with a friend over photos they've asked him to
take as a favour then they're not really worth having as friends
anyway.

I wish it was always a load of crap. I've known at least one
long-term friendship which broke up over wedding photography. (No, I
wasn't the photographer.)

In the case I know of, the mistake was simple and stupid. The shooter
forgot to check the batteries on his flash. Had everyone been
rational, they could have gotten him a set of AA's within 5 minutes,
and no one outside the wedding party would have noticed. But at many
weddings the veneer of rationality is thin indeed over a layer of
insecurity and outright terror. That veneer cracked quickly and
badly.

Compounding things, the couple wasn't honest with themselves about the
importance of the photos. The shooter wasn't honest with himself
about his skill level or his own ability to shoot under pressure.
From what I've seen, this level of self-delusion is fairly typical.
Nor is self-delusion absent from the original poster's situation; I
would be very surprised if some guests don't show up with their own
cameras.

I have no doubt that one can get good looking wedding portraits from
the 35mm format, especially with natural or off-camera lighting. No,
you can't make as large a print as you can from a medium format shot,
nor do you have as many options for cropping. But of all the reasons
to hire a pro for a wedding, the format difference is near the bottom
of the list.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old October 3rd 04, 01:46 PM
Bob Hickey

wrote:

I have no doubt that one can get good looking wedding portraits from
the 35mm format, especially with natural or off-camera lighting. No,
you can't make as large a print as you can from a medium format shot,
nor do you have as many options for cropping. But of all the reasons
to hire a pro for a wedding, the format difference is near the bottom
of the list.

--
Michael Benveniste --

Although I agree with most of what you say, I could never see myself using
anything but a 6x6. Framing, say 120-150 shots perfectly in a row is a lot
to hope for. Expecting people to stand still while you fiddle from
horizontal to vertical, and move back and forth a few inches isn't going to
happen. And deciding how to set the flash while the tweedy guy with the pipe
is explaining why the sun is too hi/low, and the yenta is telling you that
Bert can't stand next to Harry for any of the groups, is going to "cause a
meltdown. Did you go from fast to slow film yet? Is the sync fast enough for
outdoors? Forgot? Did you change the the flash setting yet? Time for a
drink; now it's really over. If you have to think about the
camera/flash/film/settings, the shot is blown already. It's about the
people-poses. Same settings, same flash on Auto, same film, a little over
exposed, and leave room at the sides. Don't forget room to back up and make
sure the flash is big enough for the biggest group. Always add, never
subtract. Bride,6; B&G, 6; parents ,4; and last, the maid of honor and the
best man and the rest of the party on the edge.4. Then they can break up.
Then you can do the goom and best man and parents, and tra la, tra la. Get a
picture of the yenta for yourself. Everytime you think about doing another
wedding, look at that picture. Bob Hickey

Old October 3rd 04, 04:43 PM
Alan Browne

Michael Benveniste wrote:

I wish it was always a load of crap. I've known at least one
long-term friendship which broke up over wedding photography. (No, I
wasn't the photographer.)

Weddings are the leading cause of divorce. They might as well break up
friendships as well.

--
"There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph.
All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."