I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 26th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

In article , android
wrote:

Why are they plugins for PS if they're equivalent
to PS?

You can use them in layers. They often works with the perpetuate, low
cost licence Photoline too.

gimp that costs money.
Old March 26th 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-26 16:00:05 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

Why are they plugins for PS if they're equivalent
to PS?

You can use them in layers. They often works with the perpetuate, low
cost licence Photoline too.

gimp that costs money.

no.
--
teleportation kills

Old March 26th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Why are they plugins for PS if they're equivalent
to PS?

You can use them in layers. They often works with the perpetuate, low
cost licence Photoline too.

gimp that costs money.

no.

so photiline is now free?
Old March 26th 18, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| PSP5 is OK for most of that except that functions
| for things like sharpening are outdated. PSP16
| is up-to-date but is bloated and poorly designed.
| (I can't even choose to not have a black window!
| And it has a silly 3-part interface. One part is a
| file explorer window. One is a quick-fix window.
| One is the normal edit window. All I want is edit,
| but I have to wait while it loads all 3. That kind of
| bad design is evident throughout the program.)
|
| Makes you wonder why you choose to suffer so.

You mean as opposed to paying through the nose
for a monthly subscription and not even being able
to buy the software? I guess I just don't like to
support sleazy companies with gobs of cash they
don't deserve.... especially when I don't need to in
order to do what I do. Call me a masochist.

Old March 26th 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| PSP5 is OK for most of that except that functions
| for things like sharpening are outdated. PSP16
| is up-to-date but is bloated and poorly designed.
| (I can't even choose to not have a black window!
| And it has a silly 3-part interface. One part is a
| file explorer window. One is a quick-fix window.
| One is the normal edit window. All I want is edit,
| but I have to wait while it loads all 3. That kind of
| bad design is evident throughout the program.)
|
| Makes you wonder why you choose to suffer so.

You mean as opposed to paying through the nose
for a monthly subscription and not even being able
to buy the software?

there are plenty of non-subscription apps that do what you claim to
want to do, and far more efficiently and productively.

there is also nothing inherently wrong with subscriptions, which for
many people, is *cheaper* than buying the equivalent apps, if they even
exist.

I guess I just don't like to
support sleazy companies with gobs of cash they
don't deserve.... especially when I don't need to in
order to do what I do. Call me a masochist.

masochist isn't the word that first comes to mind.
Old March 27th 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-26 19:50:04 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

Why are they plugins for PS if they're equivalent
to PS?

You can use them in layers. They often works with the perpetuate, low
cost licence Photoline too.

gimp that costs money.

no.

so photiline is now free?

no. not gimp...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

I actually run it in Windows 98. I use Win98 for almost all my graphic
editing, simply because it works and is easy to use.

troll alert.

I also have
PSP 3.12 (32bit)
PSP 4.14
PSP 5.01
PSP 7.0

Installed on the same computer.

I like the screen capture in 3.12 better than in other versions.

I use 4.14 most of the time, for just basic editing. It's simple, and I
like that.

5.01 has features I like and use, but 4.14 is easier to use.

Version 7.0 was commercial, but I found it online for free, so I have
it, but rarely use it.

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

And then I also have Photoshop 5.0. (registered)

That also works on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.

except that those are full of security holes and will never be patched.

worse, modern software can't run on any of them.

Thats all I really use (or need). I tried Gimp, and removed it.

at least you did something right.
Old March 27th 18, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-27 04:53:39 +0000, nospam said:

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

You're in the crowd that want to have certifications for OSes and other
soft that hits the internet, right?
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 08:36:51 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I do the same thing, but would note that PSP5,
which I still use for most things, was not shareware.
(I did get PSP4 for free once with a router. But as
I recall, PS5 and PSP5 were dramatic changes,
providing mulitple undo for the first time.

I paid $100 for it in '99. But it can be found for free
now. It never had any kind of activation key to
begin with. Like a lot of software back then, you
just had to have a disk to install it.

I now have PSP5 and 16. I use 16 occasionally
but 5 for most basic things.

I just opened PSP 5.
It says:

Paint Shop Pro Version 5.01 Evaluation (JASC)

Build Information:
Build Date Jun 11 1998 @ 09:07:49
Build Mode Release (5000102)

Maybe that's not "Shareware" but it was free, as an evaluation.
20 years later, it still works, and I have never seen any limitations. I
just see a nag screen when it loads telling me to register it.

(I wont discount the possibility I got a cracked copy).

Old March 27th 18, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android

On 2018-03-27 04:53:39 +0000, nospam said:

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

You're in the crowd that want to have certifications for OSes and other
soft that hits the internet, right?

there should be. there are way too many insecure unpatched systems
which are easily pwned. security is unfortunately, an afterthought.

also, require certification of *users* to access the net and deny
access to spammers. murdering spammers in as painful of a way as
possible for all of the crap they've caused would be a much better
solution, but blocking access will suffice. for now.