I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 23rd 18, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please
search for GreinerHormann clipping algorithm in Wikipedia to check
for alternative titles or spellings."

not only does wikipedia have articles for both of the above, but both
links go directly to the respective pages.

They do now for me, but they didn't several hours ago.

user error.

you did something wrong or your ****ty newsreader is once again not
handling links correctly.

in other words, user error.

You ar very good at jumping to conclusions.

no jump needed. nothing at wikipedia changed. the issue is entirely at
your end.

in addition to descriptions, wikipedia also lists several additional
algorithms and other references:

If you had read my original post you would know that I do not want
algorithms.

i did and you did.

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
...What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

what goes on inside photoshop, what the code is doing, *are* the
algorithms.

the code is merely instructions to execute a given algorithm.

I want a description of the model which the various algorithms will be
processing.

that depends on the algorithms.

as i said, it's a start, and now you know what to look for when
searching for books or other materials.

I neither need nor want to dig into the details of the algorithms.

then why did you ask?
Old March 23rd 18, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 22, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I want a description of the model which the various algorithms will be
processing.

I neither need nor want to dig into the details of the algorithms.

Just what on earth are you trying to do once you find all this stuff you are
looking for?

Is this your project to develop a kiwi-photo editor?

Savageduck

Old March 23rd 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:44:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| You said you want to know what the code
| is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
| code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
| into the actual code.
|
| And the code is doing all this for what (slightly) higher level
| purpose?

Maybe it's me, but I just don't get what level
you want to investigate. And there are numerous
levels of abstraction between the CPU and what
you see in Photoshop. There's code. The code
deals with bytes that represent pixels. (Did you
see the extensive description from earlier today?)

That's pretty much it, in terms of going up from
code level. The next level up from bytes is basically
the GUI, which allows you to process those groups
of bytes with the mouse.

If you do something like decide to lighten an
image -- or just about any other operation -- it's
all math. The byte values are raised to make for
lighter pixel colors. There isn't any other step in
between, except for the conveniences that allow
us to just move the mouse and click buttons to
do the job. So you perhaps drag a control to make
the image lighter, the editor calculates how to increase
the byte values to get the pixel colors that action
specifies, then the editor paints the new image
(A DIB, or stream of bytes representing the image)
onto the screen.

If you've enabled "auto proof" then it's painting
new DIBs at a very fast rate, and probably storing
one each time you release the mouse from the slide
control.

And perhaps most importantly, it stores the data
from those steps in order to "remember" and offer
multiple undo options. Each time you change the
lightness, the editor will store a DIB that it can
back up to if necessary.

I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for. I
just don't know what else you can find out. That's
how it works, soup to nuts.

Eric Stevens
Old March 23rd 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:44:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

--- snip ---

I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for. I
just don't know what else you can find out.

It seemed clear enough to me when I wrote the original post but it's
obvious I didn't make myself clear. Thinking about it, what I need is
the equivalent of block diagrams with explanatory text. Sticking with
my original example: what goes on inside PS when one creates a
clipping mask? What graphic elements are used and how are they
manipulated behind the scenes?

Eric Stevens
Old March 23rd 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 3/23/2018 5:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:44:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

--- snip ---

I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for. I
just don't know what else you can find out.

It seemed clear enough to me when I wrote the original post but it's
obvious I didn't make myself clear. Thinking about it, what I need is
the equivalent of block diagrams with explanatory text. Sticking with
my original example: what goes on inside PS when one creates a
clipping mask? What graphic elements are used and how are they
manipulated behind the scenes?

It still sounds like you're looking for code examples to me. The only
"graphic elements" are the bitmap array, as has already been stated by
others. When the clipping mask is created, it is simply a path over the
specified bitmap area that will be altered. If you want to know how the
area is manipulated, you'll be looking at code algorithms.

The actual answer to your question won't be simple like a block diagram
and explanatory text.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 23rd 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It seemed clear enough to me when I wrote the original post but it's
obvious I didn't make myself clear. Thinking about it, what I need is
the equivalent of block diagrams with explanatory text. Sticking with
my original example: what goes on inside PS when one creates a
clipping mask? What graphic elements are used and how are they
manipulated behind the scenes?

your questions were answered.
Old March 23rd 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 23, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:44:34 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

--- snip ---

I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for. I
just don't know what else you can find out.

It seemed clear enough to me when I wrote the original post but it's
obvious I didn't make myself clear. Thinking about it, what I need is
the equivalent of block diagrams with explanatory text. Sticking with
my original example: what goes on inside PS when one creates a
clipping mask? What graphic elements are used and how are they
manipulated behind the scenes?

I still don’t get where you are going, or what sort of thought exercise you
are entertaining with this search into the inner workings of PS. For that
matter you might as well ask for the same information on Alienskin Exposure
X3, On1 Photo Raw 2018, Affinity Photo, etc. After all they all follow
similar principles when it comes to creating clipping masks, and other
graphics editing staples.

What are you trying to achieve other than a thought exercise?

Savageduck

Old March 23rd 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 23:33:37 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please
search for GreinerHormann clipping algorithm in Wikipedia to check
for alternative titles or spellings."

not only does wikipedia have articles for both of the above, but both
links go directly to the respective pages.

They do now for me, but they didn't several hours ago.

user error.

You love jumping to conclusions. Wikipedia is doing it again and
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxpbce5epy...pture.JPG?dl=0 is a screen
clip of the message it displays. You can take your pick of possible
explanations.

you did something wrong or your ****ty newsreader is once again not
handling links correctly.

in other words, user error.

You ar very good at jumping to conclusions.

no jump needed. nothing at wikipedia changed. the issue is entirely at
your end.

in addition to descriptions, wikipedia also lists several additional
algorithms and other references:

If you had read my original post you would know that I do not want
algorithms.

i did and you did.

Among other things I wrote "This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing."

I suppose you could that interpret that as a request for an algorithm
but I actually intended reference to something higher up the chain
than an algorithm.

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:
...What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

what goes on inside photoshop, what the code is doing, *are* the
algorithms.

the code is merely instructions to execute a given algorithm.

I want a description of the model which the various algorithms will be
processing.

that depends on the algorithms.

You have it back to front: the algorithm depends upon the model.

Old March 23rd 18, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:44:45 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Mar 22, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

I want a description of the model which the various algorithms will be
processing.

I neither need nor want to dig into the details of the algorithms.

Just what on earth are you trying to do once you find all this stuff you are
looking for?

Is this your project to develop a kiwi-photo editor?

It's the way I think. I like to know how things are actually working.

Eric Stevens
Old March 23rd 18, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| What are you trying to achieve other than a thought exercise?

It sounds like he just wants to grasp the gist of it.
That makes sense to me. I have trouble dealing with
things if I can't understand them, though I know
many people don't have any such need.

But we seem to be having trouble figuring out how
to talk about it. My guess is that Eric is making one or
more assumptions that I'm not aware of and can't
guess.

I think that's not surprising. Computers work in a
way that's really not analogous to anything else. And
these days the superficial level is so far removed from
the level of basic operation that it's not easy to
connect them.