Camera straps?

Old January 19th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Camera straps?

On 1/16/2019 5:01 PM, newshound wrote:
On 16/01/2019 17:02, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 13:05:36 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 15/01/2019 23:15, newshound wrote:
Out playing with my new X-T3 and vertical grip today, mainly with the
50-230 while I save up for a 100-400!

Partly shooting outdoors failing to capture pheasants (quite windy
today, the usually plentiful buzzards were nowhere to be seen), partly
shooting a horse rider in an indoor school.

The conventional neck strap on the eyelets at each end of the top plate
just keeps getting in the way, especially switching from portrait to
landscape (otherwise very easy, with this grip).

The grip comes with a tethering point on the bottom, I see from Amazon
that there are several similar straps worn diagonally across the chest,
with a single point fixing to the bottom of the camera. Does anyone
have
any particular advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Or are they all
much the same?

With the weight of the grip and longer lens I think I need something
with DSLR rather than mirrorless ratings. Is the tether point a
standard
size? I think I'd like something that is fairly quick to detach.

TIA...Steve

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I'll review them at
leisure, as a break from trying to understand and master the X-T3 focus
options! I scarcely needed to touch the manual for the X-E1, the T3 is a
whole new kettle of fish :-)

Your best source of advice in this group on the subject of accessories
like a camera strap is Savageduck.Â* After reading his posts for
several years, I'm convinced that he has purchased or tried more
camera-related items than anyone else.Â* He must have a barn full of
stuff that he's tried and moved on from.

I am of the opposite persuasion.Â* If I buy something that works, I
tend to stick with it.Â* My Nikons came with factory straps and SmugMug
gave me a free strap, but the onlyÂ* strap I've purchased was a Black
Rapid.Â* I like it, so that's the end of strap-buying for me.

I do have several camera bags in the closet.Â* Each has been larger
than the previous to accommodate new and extra lenses.Â* The current
Lowepro sling is OK, not ideal, but it'll suffice.

When you get around to software decisions, Savageduck is also your
best source.Â* He seems to have tried everything.Â* He'll tell you that
his primary workflow is Lightroom and, when called for, Photoshop, but
he has a least a half dozen other programs and plug-ins.

I'm Lightroom and Photoshop, too, but do own the old NIK from
Google-ownership days.Â* I've never tried DxO's "upgrade" and don't
intend to.Â* I won a copy of OnOne's Suite 7 program, but never used it
enough to upgrade to the later versions.

Thanks. I'm a bag fan too. I started with a "boxy" Retrospective for the
X-E1, then moved to a Lowepro backpack with room for a Macbook and a
tripod (plus snacks and a cagoule), and a really nice side door for the
camera that you can use without taking the backpack off even with a 200
mm lens. With the extra size of the X-T3 and grip I'm using the boxy bag
on a diagonal shoulder strap at the moment.

Still playing with Affinity for PP at the moment, but I am relatively
new to that game. Used to do a fair bit of dodging back in enlarger days
though.

I frequently use the Topaz and On1 plugins together with LR and PS. I
find, the NIK collection is not as useful as it used to be. I paid for
my NIK software before it was sold to Google. One of my friends
purchased NIK from DXO, and found it was just about the same as the
former free software from Google. IIRC you still can get the free
version from DXO. They state that it is very buggy. I cannot comment on
that issue.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/17/2019 6:54 AM, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2019 10:03, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 13:42:31 UTC, SavageduckÂ* wrote:

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my
X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Have you ever used the touch screen to trigger the shutter ?. I assume
you can as that is an option on my M3?

I've used mine a few times, when taking a few pics of the stars
(astro) not celebs and again when using extention tubes for macro
work, as I moved back and forth to focus I found it easier to tap the
screen rather than try using the normal method which resuloted in the
camera moving slightly as I pressed the shutter release.

I already have a wireless remote, as well as a wired one with all sorts
of timer options. New camera has bluetooth *and* wifi, both giving
remote shutter (and more). I can see that touch screen focus might be
particularly easy to trigger by accident (although it could be useful
for macro when using a tripod).

I do most of my macro work using MF. I get more control that way.
However, as my eyes age, I suspect I will have to go to auto focus.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 18, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

like a camera strap is Savageduck. After reading his posts for
several years, I'm convinced that he has purchased or tried more
camera-related items than anyone else. He must have a barn full of
stuff that he's tried and moved on from.

I am of the opposite persuasion. If I buy something that works, I
tend to stick with it. My Nikons came with factory straps and SmugMug
gave me a free strap, but the only strap I've purchased was a Black
Rapid. I like it, so that's the end of strap-buying for me.

I do have several camera bags in the closet. Each has been larger
than the previous to accommodate new and extra lenses. The current
Lowepro sling is OK, not ideal, but it'll suffice.

When you get around to software decisions, Savageduck is also your
best source. He seems to have tried everything. He'll tell you that
his primary workflow is Lightroom and, when called for, Photoshop, but
he has a least a half dozen other programs and plug-ins.

I'm Lightroom and Photoshop, too, but do own the old NIK from
Google-ownership days. I've never tried DxO's "upgrade" and don't
intend to. I won a copy of OnOne's Suite 7 program, but never used it
[...]

Nope!

There is no longer a free version from DxO, and they have ironed out whatever
bugs might have existed with the unsupported version that Google was giving
away.

For me the DxO version seems to be running smoother than my old original
version, and the Google version, any bugs seem to have been introduced with
the final release from Google, never to be fixed until DxO took over
development & support. However, it does not bring anything new to the game
other than the fact that it is being supported, and will continue to live
along with the OS changes, and various apps as they mature, rather than being
left on the vine to wither as Google was doing.

Google got what they wanted out of the NIK buyout with Snapseed, that did not
go to DxO.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/18/2019 8:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 18, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Then DXO no longer offers the free version. The only one I still use is
Vivesa, abd then not very often.

For me the DxO version seems to be running smoother than my old original
version, and the Google version, any bugs seem to have been introduced with
the final release from Google, never to be fixed until DxO took over
development & support. However, it does not bring anything new to the game
other than the fact that it is being supported, and will continue to live
along with the OS changes, and various apps as they mature, rather than being
left on the vine to wither as Google was doing.

Google got what they wanted out of the NIK buyout with Snapseed, that did not
go to DxO.

Glad it's working for you.

--
PeterN