[PICS] Death of a Small Town

Old January 31st 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default [PICS] Death of a Small Town

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...
Old January 31st 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.
Old January 31st 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Death of a Small Town

On Jan 31, 11:58 am, JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Some very nice stuff there, Jim, but Dave's right- that background
sucks - what were you thinking? (O:

It also highlights (pun not intended..) the fact that those images are
all a bit short on true blacks - is that an artistic choice? I would
have thought using the full dynamic range would add to the feeling,
but I may be wrong. And I guess going to full blacks might also over-
emphasise the noise...
Old January 31st 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D[_2_]

JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came back
with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

What do you think of them yourself? Would you use Delta again?

Colin D.

Old January 31st 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Colin_D wrote:

Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

I'm not the photographer, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in too.

I disagree with you. The grain and lack of gradation give the pictures
a look which I think goes well with the subject. They have the "look"
of 1950's 35mm photography, or pre-WWII medium format.

What I disliked is the lack of cropping. For example, the picture of
the church has a large gray area in front of it. On paper, it may be
the street, on my monitor it just is a mass of gray grain. There are
no clouds in the sky ABOVE the steeple, so cropping there would make
the picture more interesting and leave nothing out.

On the whole, I think they would make a good exhibit on paper, and
with some judicious cropping, a good web display would be better.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came back
with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

Everyone's taste is different. I found them interesting, well photographed
and the choice of film suited the subject.

Would Cartier-Bresson's (pardon any spelling mistakes) pictures of
Paris look as good if shot on the latest Kodak Consumer color print
film?

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old January 31st 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 30, 11:35*pm, The DaveŠ wrote:
JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. *The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. *How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.

Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Old January 31st 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 1:47*am, wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:58 am, JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Some very nice stuff there, Jim, but Dave's right- that background
sucks - what were you thinking? (O:

It also highlights (pun not intended..) the fact that those images are
all a bit short on true blacks - is that an artistic choice? *I would
have thought using the full dynamic range would add to the feeling,
but I may be wrong. *And I guess going to full blacks might also over-
emphasise the noise...

I was thinking that you'd start with the first thumbnail and look at
the frames rather than go back to the thumbnails. :-)
Old January 31st 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 6:32 am, Colin_D wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came back
with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

What do you think of them yourself? Would you use Delta again?

Colin D.

A few I like very much, most I would throw away, more I would like to
re-shoot with a different format something with tilt/shift would be
nice. Some I wished very much I had a color camera that I was
carrying. There had been a fire and a storm was rolling in, so the
sunset was very colorful, looked more like the sky was on fire.

I have shot Delta 3200 since @ 1600 much cleaner and better tonality,
but still grainy as sand. I achieved the effect that I wanted from
this roll, so I got what I wanted, I just didn't like all of it. :-)
Old January 31st 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 6:54 am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

I'm not the photographer, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents in too.

I disagree with you. The grain and lack of gradation give the pictures
a look which I think goes well with the subject. They have the "look"
of 1950's 35mm photography, or pre-WWII medium format.

It's nice to know that I succeeded on this level, at least.

What I disliked is the lack of cropping. For example, the picture of
the church has a large gray area in front of it. On paper, it may be
the street, on my monitor it just is a mass of gray grain. There are
no clouds in the sky ABOVE the steeple, so cropping there would make
the picture more interesting and leave nothing out.

This is a link to the full scan at 2000 DPI, 4000 just made the grain
stand out more and there was no additional discernable detail in the
image. About 4MB
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/...08%20D3200.jpg

So you see it is just a mass of gray and grain. :-)

On the whole, I think they would make a good exhibit on paper, and
with some judicious cropping, a good web display would be better.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came back
with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

Everyone's taste is different. I found them interesting, well photographed
and the choice of film suited the subject.

Thank you.

Old January 31st 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

Colin_D wrote:

JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the smallish
images.

To me, the grain was the whole point... to create/enhance the feeling
of starkness and bleakness and portray the *feeling* of a dying town.
To bring the viewer in with the sense of what must be a silent
hopelessness for the residents.