Does your family save digital shots?

Old November 26th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

Default Does your family save digital shots?

I will admit I am a film photographer and although I have a digital scanner
and a video digital picture maker, I will always be a film photog. I know
digital is equal to or better now than film but I'm seeing something in my
family that is making me wonder about digital. I'm hearing about all the
pictures they are taking but I'm not seeing them. My neice probably doesn't
know how to turn on a computer and says she gives her camera to her dad to
print out the photos, but I doubt he keeps them on his computer. He is on
the computer 24/7 but it is to check his investments and stuff like that. I
don't think he knows how to burn anything to a CD. Even some of the photos
I have sent him he has deleted so I doubt he is keeping all of my neices.
So the question that I'm wondering about is this. Are we seeing a lot of
the digital photos going into vapor? Ask around in your family if they are
burning their pictures to archivial CD's or just cheap CD's. Do they just
print them out and then delete them or do they just keep them in the camera.
I have slides that I took with my Brownie camera when I was 10 years old.
(I'm 55 now.) I probably have 95% of all pictures I ever took (lost some
while in the Navy) in slides or negatives. I also have albums, something I
never see my family have any more. I'm not talking about the pro or the
serious amature that will value his photos. Before this my family would
throw the negatives in a drawer and have pictures in a album. Now I'm
wondering if most of them are being lost. Do you think this is happening
with many of the digital pictures kids and their parents are taking today?
Will we see the day maybe 25 years from now that families look back and say,
we took digital photos of our trip to Hawaii but we don't have anything
because we left them on the hard drive and it crashed? Ric in Wisconsin.

Old November 26th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
I'm hearing about all the
pictures they are taking but I'm not seeing them.

I was looking at this poll at MisterPool and I think it tells a story of how
people are keeping their digital pictures. As you can see if you add up
those that leave them on their computer, or in their camera, along with
online storage, nearly 78% of the photos from digital camera are being
stored in less than permanent places. Probably online storage is best as
they are responsible companies, however, they can drop that service at any
time. If you are not around to retrieve your photos, well, too bad.
Storage on a hard drive is not permanent. HD's come in two different kinds,
the one that is going to crash and the one that has. Here is the poll
results at MisterPoll. Read the third response from the top. Ric in
Wisconsin.

http://www.misterpoll.com/results.mpl?id=1503806091

Old November 26th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Ric Trexell wrote:
[...]

I think alot of people's pictures get lost an a person's hard drive and
never looked at.

I know that I shoot more than I process when I shoot digitally. I
always intend to go back and process them, but it's hit-and-miss.
Old November 26th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Ric Trexell wrote:

Will we see the day maybe 25 years from now that families look back and say,
we took digital photos of our trip to Hawaii but we don't have anything
because we left them on the hard drive and it crashed?

One of the drug stores here was selling packaged relatively small "Digital Film"
for 32,64, 120 pictures in Compact Flash or SD. What they were selling was
small memory cards along side film. They had one of the standard digital
color print operations as well. They were encouraging customers to keep their
"digital negatives" Interesting idea.

Which asks the second question what would be the cost of buying Compact Flash
in bulk and treating it like film negatives. 80 pictures /Gbyte RAW or 250/Gbyte
jpeg is competitive with film at current memory card prices. One of my HP
printers will print thumb nail sheets from Compact Flash.

Is anyone doing this.

Walter..

Old November 26th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Walter Banks wrote:
One of the drug stores here was selling packaged relatively small
"Digital Film" for 32,64, 120 pictures in Compact Flash or SD. What
they were selling was small memory cards along side film. They had
one of the standard digital color print operations as well. They were
encouraging customers to keep their "digital negatives" Interesting
idea.

Sounds like they're marketing to little old ladies who can't fully
grasp the digital concept... the same ones who still insist on writing
checks rather than use an ATM/debit card.

My mother still uses film, and always will. She has ZERO interest in
computers or anything even remotely digital/computerized.
Old November 26th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

"TheDaveŠ" wrote:

Walter Banks wrote:
One of the drug stores here was selling packaged relatively small
"Digital Film" for 32,64, 120 pictures in Compact Flash or SD. What
they were selling was small memory cards along side film. They had
one of the standard digital color print operations as well. They were
encouraging customers to keep their "digital negatives" Interesting
idea.

Sounds like they're marketing to little old ladies who can't fully
grasp the digital concept... the same ones who still insist on writing
checks rather than use an ATM/debit card.

My mother still uses film, and always will. She has ZERO interest in
computers or anything even remotely digital/computerized.

There is no question that they re marketing to little old ladies. The
number of frames was based on about 1Mbyte /frame. They in effect
were fully set up. They also sold some $50 digital camera's.

High marks for finding a market for small memory cards.

My digression actually was from what would happen if we treated
removable memory cards as film. The costs are not as obvious as
they would first seem. No longer stored on hard drives and back
bulk USB drives or CD's. There is some convenience. Bulk memory
cards not so expensive.

Cards here are about $10/G, my most recent 1G thumb drive
was $7.95.

Worth a thought.

w..

Old November 27th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Walter Banks wrote:
Walter Banks wrote:
[...]

Just last week I was in a convenience store and saw a display with
disposable film cameras and wondered when they would come out with
disposable digital cameras.

:-| DOH!!! Momentary brain fart.

Then I thought about it some more and wondered if some people just
might buy them. lol
Old November 27th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Scott W" wrote in message
Ric Trexell wrote:
[...]

My friends and family tend to do a low of photo swapping, either through
email or when there are a lot of photos via DVDs.

I also grab a complete copy of my parents photos when I visit, putting
them on an external drive.

On the other hand I have a box of hundreds of prints that friends and
family have sent us over the years that I keep meaning to scan, it would
be far easier on me if everyone send images as files and not prints.

Scott

People tend to treat stuff according to what they paid for it.....If it
didn't cost them anything, then they think of it as worthless, and treat it
accordingly.Digitals don't cost anything.....Slides cost me like 35 cents
each. (film plus processing costs) I don't throw them away unless they are
really bad......

Old November 27th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Matthew Winn

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:10:04 GMT, TheDaveŠ wrote:

Just last week I was in a convenience store and saw a display with
disposable film cameras and wondered when they would come out with
disposable digital cameras.

:-| DOH!!! Momentary brain fart.

Then I thought about it some more and wondered if some people just
might buy them. lol

Why not? There'll always be people who leave their camera at home
and then wish they hadn't, or people who break their camera while on
holiday and need an emergency replacement. A cheap digital compact
with firmware that won't allow the pictures to be downloaded without
the proper digitally signed authorisation from the manufacturer would
be just what they need. Buy it, use it, return it and get your snaps
back on a CD.

Mind you, with the low image quality many people find acceptable these
days it may be cheaper to come up with some genuinely disposable piece
of crap with a vaguely convex lump of plastic as a lens.

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by mail remove the "r" from "urk"]
Old November 27th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
hickster11

"William Graham" wrote in message

People tend to treat stuff according to what they paid for it.....If it
didn't cost them anything, then they think of it as worthless, and treat

it
accordingly.Digitals don't cost anything.....Slides cost me like 35 cents
each. (film plus processing costs) I don't throw them away unless they are
really bad......

Sure, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. In

stead of shooting 20? shots and getting prints, they shoot about a
bizallion. I just couldn't see myself staring at that much junk and picking
out the keepers.