Are all Minotla X-700's like mine?

Old November 6th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

Default Are all Minotla X-700's like mine?

Ric Trexell wrote:
I was using the meter in my two Minolta X-700's to check a hand held meter.
I put the camera on manual and took a meter reading. I moved the aperature
ring on the lense and watched the led move up and down. Then I moved the
shutter speed dial expecting the same thing to happen. It surprised me when
it didn't move.

From the manual:

When you wish to use a certain shutter speed,
first set the selector at any click-stop setting from
1 sec. to 1/1000 sec., then turn the aperture ring until
the LED next to that speed lights up. * When you wish to
use a certain aperture, first set the aperture ring, then
set the stepped shutter speed according to the value
recommended by the LED. If two LEDs light up, adjust the
aperture ring somewhat until only one lights

other words if it said 1/125th at f4, it also said 1/30
or 1/60th was correct.

The display doesn't change when you change the shutter speed.
The display should tell you which shutter speed to use
for a given aperture.

I expect that what happened was that the meter continued
to tell you that 1/125 was correct, and did not move
when you changed shutter speed. At least that is the
way it is meant to work.

Peter.

Old November 6th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
hickster11

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
I was using the meter in my two Minolta X-700's to check a hand held

meter.
I put the camera on manual and took a meter reading. I moved the

aperature
ring on the lense and watched the led move up and down. Then I moved the
shutter speed dial expecting the same thing to happen. It surprised me

when
it didn't move. In other words if it said 1/125th at f4, it also said

1/30
or 1/60th was correct. I figured that there was something wrong with the
meter in the camera and got my other X-700, which I bought brand new about
25 years ago. It acted the same way. I have never noticed this over the
years probably due to either using Aperature Priority or Program. Those
times I did use manual I suppose I just moved the aperature ring on the
lense. If you have a X-700, can you tell me if yours is doing the same
thing? Or am I doing something wrong. Thanks. Ric in Wisconsin.

I had a gang of XG-s and if I remember correctly, the meters only

worked on auto which were shutter priority. Except for the XG-M, which
worked on manual 'cause that's all it had. So I guess if you want to test a
meter, you can just set both on 1/60 or something. Bob Hickey

Old November 7th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
I was using the meter in my two Minolta X-700's to check a hand held

meter.
I put the camera on manual and took a meter reading.

Thanks for the info on my question. I guess that is the way the things were
designed. Funny it took me 25 years of using the X-700 to find it out. It
is a good thing to know. I never heard of a camera that didn't indicate the
different exposures if you turned the speed setting. Guess you learn
something every day. Thanks again. Ric in Wisconsin.