20D TAKES FLIGHT !

Old June 14th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default 20D TAKES FLIGHT !

After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little friend
finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

Old June 14th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jun 14, 12:00 am, Annika1980 wrote:
After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little friend
finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

Yesterday was a very hectic day. I didn't even have a chance to turn
on my computer, let alone read the latest posts on the NG. What a
great treat to see your post of the baby hawk taking flight! Thanks
so much Bret for sharing. Your diligence and dedication is definitely
noted. I feel like I'm right there watching him with you. It's a
great sequence of shots! It feels like just a few days ago when he
was this ball of downy fluff. Now look at him!
It must be a great feeling. I mean you don't spend your time and
patience for the adulation, but for the simple pleasure and enjoyment
of photographing and watching nature. My hat is off to you!
Helen

Old June 14th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Jun 14, 12:00 am, Annika1980 wrote:
After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little friend
finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

Good job, Bret. Being there does mean getting that one shot that will
so others what you have been doing with your time. That one shot that
shows your passion for nature. As the hawk was flapping away, all I
thought of was "gear-up, gear-up".
Glad you were there to show and share the moments of this beautiful
creature. Hope you will be able to keep track of "junior" and show
him/her to us as he/she grows.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Doing better does.

Old June 15th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Annika1980 wrote:
After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little friend
finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

That's very cool...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 15th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Annika1980 wrote:
After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little friend
finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

you called the hawk "20D"??? You need to get out more, buddy.
And I don't mean in the bushes...
Still: superb moment!

Old June 15th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Noons wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
After watching the baby red-tailed hawk for almost a month, I was
privileged to get to witness his first flight this morning. Perhaps
encouraged by an approaching group of screaming kids, my little
friend finally got enough courage to make the big leap.
His legs dangled awkwardly as he violently flapped his wings, soaring
away over some nearby trees. It was a sight to see, and especially
rewarding given the number of hours I've invested watching and
photographing him in the past 4 weeks.

http://www.pbase.com/image/80495048

you called the hawk "20D"??? You need to get out more, buddy.
And I don't mean in the bushes...
Still: superb moment!

Actually...Bret likely "gets out" with his camera more than just about
anyone on this forum. I envy the time he seems to have available to him...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 15th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jun 15, 1:19 am, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:

Actually...Bret likely "gets out" with his camera more than just about
anyone on this forum. I envy the time he seems to have available to him....

I make the time.
Here's a little quiz that gives my philosophy.

1. If you knew you were going to die next week what would you do
today?
2. Why aren't you doing that now?

Old June 16th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

wrote:

Actually...Bret likely "gets out" with his camera more than just
about anyone on this forum. I envy the time he seems to have
available to him...

I make the time.

Me too, but often that time can only be made available at night...so that
has an effect on collecting light on the sensor...

Here's a little quiz that gives my philosophy.

1. If you knew you were going to die next week what would you do
today?
2. Why aren't you doing that now?

Ah...but bankruptcy wouldn't be quite so important, either, in that
ase. -Since I'm not dying next week (so far as I know...much to the
disappointment of you-know-who), it ain't that simple.

One thing I would do, though...is what I'm about to do in a few
weeks...which is spend 7 weeks in countries I've never seen, and returning
to one that I enjoyed for the first time, one year ago.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 16th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

wrote:

[...]

Yeah.....Nobody who isn't actually going to die tomorrow can live his life
as though he was.....In my case, I would spend my entire retirement fund on
a Ferrari. Then, when my wife came home later, she would say, "Why did you
spend everything we had on a Ferrari?" And I would say, "Because someone
told me to live my life as though I were going to die tomorrow." And she
would say, "Well, it's a good thing you did, because you ARE going to die
tomorrow....I am going to kill you!"

Old June 16th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

tomorrow....I am going to kill you!"- Hide quoted text -

I don't believe you get the point Bill. Seize the day, but keep your
wits about you. Enjoy every second of your life with gusto. Even
though your dream is to spend all your savings on a Ferrari, you have
to keep your wits about you. Enjoy your life.
Helen