Scanner advice

Old March 1st 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Patrick L

Default Scanner advice

What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm looking to
buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else) and
slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm shooting 6x45 and
6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Patrick

Old March 1st 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Recently, Patrick L posted:

What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm
looking to buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else)
and slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm
shooting 6x45 and 6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Since you have posted this to a Medium Format group, the short answer is
"not available".

-- What do you mean by decent scans?

-- What do you mean by "big bucks"?

-- What is your time worth?

Presumably, your lab is using a pro-level scanner to do your scans. That
means at the minimum something like an Imacon, and possibly a drum
scanner. Those begin at about $5k USD and can go into six figures. Unless
you live in an unusual market, it's unlikely that you are being charged
more than $50 per scan. It will take years before you can match that price
and performance point if your time is worth only minimum wage.

Just my $0.02 US...

Neil

Old March 1st 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

On Mar 1, 10:42 pm, "Patrick L" wrote:

What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm looking to
buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else) and
slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm shooting 6x45 and
6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Not dedicated film scanners at that price point,
I'm afraid. The nearest would be a Coolscan 9000
at around US2.5K. Or a 2nd hand 8000 for about
half that on ebay?

After that the Imacons at around
5 grand. Beyond, the sky is the limit...

And yes, there is a bit of a learning curve.
No rocket science, but still one.

Flatbed scanners are cheaper, but I
wouldn't waste time with them if you want
top quality results without spending hours
refining images with lots of digital sharpening
and manipulation

Although with 6X6 you can probably get
more or less acceptable results from the
latest flatbed gear. But it'll be slow compared
to what a dedicated film scanner can do.

Old March 3rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

Patrick L wrote:
What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm looking to
buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else) and
slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm shooting 6x45 and
6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Patrick

Nikon LS9000 (~ $2k) or Microtek Artixscan 120tf (~ $1.5k) are about the
only choices you have.
Old March 6th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
chasfs

On Mar 1, 6:42 am, "Patrick L" wrote:
What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm looking to
buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else) and
slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm shooting 6x45 and
6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Patrick

I have a Microtek 120tf. An examples of what it can do is at
http://chasfs.com/mega.py.
There's a link in the middle of that page to a full res 6x7 image.
Most of the other images
at http://chasfs.com were scanned with the Microtek or a Nikon 8000.
The Nikon's have
Digital ICE, which makes removing dirt and dust easier, but the
Microtek is cheaper.
B&H has them new for $1300 after rebate.

Good luck with your decision!

-chasfs
http://zdecisions.com

Old March 8th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Larry Heath

"Patrick L" wrote in message
What is a good scanner for pro work? Is there a big learning curve?

I'm tired of paying my lab big bucks for decent scans, and I'm looking to
buy a scanner, but I don't have a clue about them.

I'm shooting negs for wedding portraits (digital for everything else) and
slides for general personal enjoyment, nature, etc. I'm shooting 6x45
and 6x6

Hopefully for less than $1K, USD.

Patrick

I have used the Epson 4990 for 6x45 medium format scans with very good
results. 8x10's for a wedding album are no problem, I shot some Medium
Format 6x45's chromes at my daughters wedding a few years ago, and my stuff
scanned on a 4990 is a heck of a lot better than the prints from the PRO
that used a Canon digital SLR and charged her nearly a Grand for 15 8x10's
in an album and a cd with a bunch of JPEG's that I can't print a decent 8x10
from. I have made 17"x45" prints on an Epson 4000 from a crop of a 6x45
chrome, you can tell the difference between it and a regular photographic
print, if you use a loupe, but its just different, not better or worse,
sharpness is very good and color gamut is very good as well. I have never
shot much color negative material, typical of wedding photos, and must admit
I haven't gotten very proficient at scanning that material, and what I have
done isn't the greatest stuff in the world, but I think that is just a good
work flow issue. I shot some Fuji 400 120mm print film at a sporting event
and got some decent shots, that scanned well resolution wise and after a bit
of work in Photoshop I got the color to come around as well. Like I say its
a work flow issue, more than anything, I think. All said and done i don't
see any reason why an Epson 4990 flatbed and full frame medium format film,
or even a reasonable crop, will not produce excellent wedding photos.

So at right around $410 for a 4990 from B&H, I don't see where you can go
wrong, or look at there V700 or V750 at $500 or $800, if these doesn't
float your boat, ebay it and get a good chunk of your cash back and save for
a drum scanner. B&H also has some really nice Hassy drum scanners starting
at just $5000 and going on up to about $20,000. Oh, just remember film
holders for these bad boys are about $200 a piece, and the extended service
contract is just $1300 for a year and nearly $2000 for two years! I hope
your making lots of sales to pay for these bad boys.

Yes I would like to work with an Imacon drum scanner, just to say I had, but
a good used one at a price I can afford has thus far eluded me.

--
Later Larry

Old March 9th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Raphael Bustin

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:02:35 -0500, "Larry Heath"
wrote:

So at right around $410 for a 4990 from B&H, I don't see where you can go
wrong, or look at there V700 or V750 at $500 or $800, if these doesn't
float your boat, ebay it and get a good chunk of your cash back and save for
a drum scanner. B&H also has some really nice Hassy drum scanners starting
at just $5000 and going on up to about $20,000. Oh, just remember film
holders for these bad boys are about $200 a piece, and the extended service
contract is just $1300 for a year and nearly $2000 for two years! I hope
your making lots of sales to pay for these bad boys.

Yes I would like to work with an Imacon drum scanner, just to say I had, but
a good used one at a price I can afford has thus far eluded me.

Those "Hassy drum scanners" aren't drum scanners at all. They're
Imacons... CCD scanners. Calling them "drum scanners" is nothing
more than clever marketing.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com