Ping Tony Cooper

Old October 4th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default Ping Tony Cooper

I was testing an old lens with my D500, for street. And yes, I added
grain. The conversion was done with Topaz BW effects.

--
PeterN
Old October 4th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-04 14:36:58 +0000, PeterN said:

I was testing an old lens with my D500, for street. And yes, I added
grain. The conversion was done with Topaz BW effects.

....and???

Savageduck

Old October 4th 16, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN said:

On 10/4/2016 10:36 AM, PeterN wrote:

I was testing an old lens with my D500, for street. And yes, I added
grain. The conversion was done with Topaz BW effects.

Oops: Left off the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC1920.jpg

I am not a big fan of any of the Topaz plug-ins. With what I know you
have in your tool box, I believe you would have done better with NIK
Silver Efex Pro.
My one question with regard to your exposure selection is, why ISO 2500
and 1/80 sec for that particular situation?

To my eye there are three others which do a better job: NIK Silver
Efex, AlienSkin ExposureX, and Tonality Pro (Mac only). Of those the
better one is ExposureX with that you can apply a consistent, realistic
grain that truly emulates a variety of grains that can result from
using different developers such as Rodinal, or a specific film type
such as Tri-X, or Acros.

NIK Silver Efex does a similar job, but ExposureX just has the edge.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/_DSF2302-Edit-2.jpg

Savageduck

Old October 5th 16, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN said:

On 10/4/2016 10:36 AM, PeterN wrote:

I was testing an old lens with my D500, for street. And yes, I added
grain. The conversion was done with Topaz BW effects.

Oops: Left off the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC1920.jpg

I am not a big fan of any of the Topaz plug-ins. With what I know you
have in your tool box, I believe you would have done better with NIK
Silver Efex Pro.
My one question with regard to your exposure selection is, why ISO 2500
and 1/80 sec for that particular situation?

When I am using that camera for street, I have standardized on ISO 2,500
@ f13.

If you want to play,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC1920.NEF

Old October 5th 16, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN said:

On 10/4/2016 10:36 AM, PeterN wrote:

I was testing an old lens with my D500, for street. And yes, I added
grain. The conversion was done with Topaz BW effects.

Oops: Left off the link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC1920.jpg

I am not a big fan of any of the Topaz plug-ins. With what I know you
have in your tool box, I believe you would have done better with NIK
Silver Efex Pro.
My one question with regard to your exposure selection is, why ISO 2500
and 1/80 sec for that particular situation?

When I am using that camera for street, I have standardized on ISO 2,500 @ f13.

That does not sound like a good choice for "street" especially with a
camera such as the D500 which has a great DR. With those settings you
are forcing a slow shutter speed with the real possibility IQ damage,
unless you truly wanted a slow shutter effect.

Personally I would have settled on ISO 400 to ISO 800, with f/8 to
f/11, perhaps even as much as f/16.

Another solution which can work very well for "street" is 'Auto ISO'
with the base set at 200 and an appropriate Max at say ISO 1600-3200
with minimum shutter speed set at 1/100 -1/400. That will leave you to
play with you aperture settings.

If you want to play,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_DSC1920.NEF

Thanks for that opportunity.
....and I know that taste and intent is everything. ;-)

I have done three renditions after RAW conversion in ACR which included
some "guided lens correction":
1: An ExposureX conversion using an Acros emulation with standard grain
2: An ExposureX conversion using an Acros emulation with a 30% Rodinal
developer grain
3: An ExposureX conversion using a 1936 Kodachrome emulation (I thought
that might be subject appropriate)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rhdvcrgc6h8wo7l/AABJ2AGxt2FTlEkZ05HpKYwwa?dl=0

Old October 5th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

....and obviously I did not crop after the lens correction.

Old October 5th 16, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2016-10-05 01:20:39 +0000, Savageduck

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

snip

Sorry, but I like Peter's crop. The guy at the left is too distracting,
as is the van on the right.
Grain! I want Grain!
And as for the Kodachrome: Paul Simon was wrong- mama needs to take your
Kodachrome away!

Seriously, thanks for your interpretation. But I like the emphasis on
the building canopy and the heavy grain in Peter's original
presentation. IMHO, YMMV.

--
Ken Hart

Old October 5th 16, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-05 01:20:39 +0000, Savageduck
On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN
said:
[...]

OK! OK! I deliberately chose not to crop as crops can be personal and
effect the entire scene, which I tried to retain. The guy on the left
is certainly a distractio and a victim of the slow shutter speed.

Grain! I want Grain!

In that case grain you shall have in a fourth rendition added to the
same Dropbox folder. I will probably go with a different B&W emulation
this time and I will make a crop more pleasing to your eye. So what you
will have is a Tri-X 400 pushed with grain pushed to 70%.

And as for the Kodachrome: Paul Simon was wrong- mama needs to take
your Kodachrome away!

It was just a whim on my part. I kind of agree that there are more
pleasing color options than 1936 Kodachrome, and I have included
something a little different, Reala, also in the DB folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rhdvcrgc6h8wo7l/AABJ2AGxt2FTlEkZ05HpKYwwa?dl=0

Seriously, thanks for your interpretation. But I like the emphasis on
the building canopy and the heavy grain in Peter's original
presentation. IMHO, YMMV.

As I said above, taste and intent is everything. ;-)

Savageduck

Old October 5th 16, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-05 01:20:39 +0000, Savageduck

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN
said:

[...]

You want Grain? I'll give you Grain, but I think it works better in
color with grain. That yellow shirt needs to be part of this.

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...-10-04C-X3.jpg

Aagh!! My eyes! Too much! Too much!!

Old October 5th 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-04 14:50:28 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Wow. It's like you saw an entirely different scene than Peter saw.
And, in my opinion, not at all as interesting a scene. Yours is like
a CCTV view of a possible armed robbery of the Loomis truck, but with
a visual effect that has me thinking everything will slide to the left
like a sinkhole is opening up.

OK! I have made some lens corrections (with the guide tool in
Transform) and crop to straighten some stuff up:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/PN/DSC1920-EX-Tri-70B.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/PN/DSC1920-Reala-B.jpg

This is a case where I have some problems with Peter's post treatment,
I far prefer his rendition of the scene.

However, I will play. I don't do this often, but I think it's an
interesting enough image to try. I treated it as a straight street
scene with black and white done in NIK:

https://photos.smugmug.com/AUE-Temp/...016-10-04B.jpg

[...]

I photographed his brother:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Candids/i...-08-09B-X3.jpg

This fella seems to be in unfortunate circumstances.

Savageduck