[SI] XXXV (old stuff) Alan's comments

Old August 25th 04, 03:09 PM
BFane

Alan Browne wrote:
Brian Fane - http://www.pbase.com/image/32611105

While you were in WA mode you should have really closed in to
remove the headstone on the lower right. I'm guessing you used
slide film here or a pretty good digi as the shadow side on the
left is almost dead in detail. The blasted blues and the slight
vignetting indicate a polarizer. Somehow the notion of old
doesn't carry here because the scene is so fresh looking, a
pleasant day, fresh. Good shot but I would have gotten in even
closer to the stone.

Thanks for the comments. I ended up framing it like that because of
some stuff on the left side that I didn't want. I was also trying to
keep the text legible, to explain why it was "old stuff", so I
couldn't get much further to the left. Could have probably cropped
it to remove the stone on the right, after I scanned it.

This shot was taken on Velvia 50, with a polorizer; you nailed it
on your guesses. I actually added a little bit of contrast after
I scanned it, but not much. I waffled on which version to submit,
but liked the contrastier version more, so...

Vignetting wasn't intentional, but I kinda liked the look, so I
left it in. Someone else had commented on the brown splotch --
I think they've got a mole problem there.

I haven't submitted many images to the Shoot-in, and this is the
first color image. Normally, I'd have done something like this
with TMax, but I had a 36-shot roll of Velvia in the camera,
and was 5 frames into it and really wanted to get them processed.

Thanks again for the comments!

Old August 26th 04, 06:23 AM
Ken Nadvornick

"Alan Browne" wrote:

That's the point, "merely." What takes great skill
in a non digtital process, is "merely" dragging down
color channels in Photoshop et al. See McLeod's
post for more detail.

IAC, as it is clear that no agreement will be found,
I am abandoning this sub thread.

Pity... but your prerogative.

No hard feelings, but I sense you missed the point here.

Regards,
Ken

Old August 26th 04, 03:04 PM
Alan Browne

Ken Nadvornick wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote:

That's the point, "merely." What takes great skill
in a non digtital process, is "merely" dragging down
color channels in Photoshop et al. See McLeod's
post for more detail.

IAC, as it is clear that no agreement will be found,
I am abandoning this sub thread.

Pity... but your prerogative.

No hard feelings, but I sense you missed the point here.

The point? The point is really making photographs without
manipulation. I've done so at least once in the SI and declared
it as -outside-of-rulz- for that, I didn't hem and haw and try to
say it was in bounds. Desaturating is manipulation. Period.