Film Lives!!!

Old October 11th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
hickster11

Default Film Lives!!!

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
t...

Which magazines are you referring to? Popular Photograhy proclaimed film
dead as soon as the first 6MP DSLRs came out way back when and they hardly
mention it at all these days.

Exactly. It becomes self-fulfilling.

SW

True dat, true dat. Their circulation took a dive

as soon as they said that. Bob Hickey

Old October 11th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
t...
"Doug Jewell" wrote in message

The good thing about film - you don't have to buy a whole new camera to
take advantage of technology improvements. I haven't had a chance to use
it yet, but i've seen multiple reviews in magazines (even mostly digital
magazines) where they say new Provia 400F in 35mm has less grain and
better colour fidelity than any of the current crop of DSLRs at ISO 400.
If this is the case, and we also start to see more improvements in other
medium and high-speed film, we might soon see a resurgence in film.

Which magazines are you referring to? Popular Photograhy proclaimed film
dead as soon as the first 6MP DSLRs came out way back when and they hardly
mention it at all these days.

The bad thing about film though, is that most shops now seem to think
"film is dead", and it is getting harder to buy and harder to get
processed.

Exactly. It becomes self-fulfilling.

SW

I see it all as a battle of two technologies: Electronics vs.
chemistry.....In the long run, we will be the winners!

Old October 12th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
hickster11

"Draco" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe on life support but it is still alive.

http://tinyurl.com/269lnk

Draco

Enjoy today.

For tomorrow is promised to no one.

It's nice to see that they're still in the game, but but they could have
done better with the ad. Fuji and Ilford make them look really bad by
comparison. Bob Hickey

Old October 13th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Daniel Rocha[_3_]

Draco wrote:
Maybe on life support but it is still alive.
http://tinyurl.com/269lnk

Great !

--
Daniel Rocha | Photographie
http://www.monochromatique.com

Old October 21st 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jeremy

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
t...
"Doug Jewell" wrote in message

The good thing about film - you don't have to buy a whole new camera to
take advantage of technology improvements. I haven't had a chance to use
it yet, but i've seen multiple reviews in magazines (even mostly digital
magazines) where they say new Provia 400F in 35mm has less grain and
better colour fidelity than any of the current crop of DSLRs at ISO 400.
If this is the case, and we also start to see more improvements in other
medium and high-speed film, we might soon see a resurgence in film.

Which magazines are you referring to? Popular Photograhy proclaimed film
dead as soon as the first 6MP DSLRs came out way back when and they hardly
mention it at all these days.

"Popular Photography" caters to amateurs, and film IS dead, as far as
amateurs are concerned. Besides, digital is where the ad revenue dollars
are these days.

I would not rely upon Pop Photo as an indicator of whether film continues to
be used.

Believe me, if camera maufacturers and film manufacturers continued to
advertise film gear in any significant amount on Pop Photo, they'd still be
doing their annual fill round-up and would be publishing articles about film
gear.