PHOTOS FROM INSIDE IRAN

Old October 8th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
hickster11

Default PHOTOS FROM INSIDE IRAN

"Pudentame" wrote in message

And Georgie's may be the Mayberry Machiavelli, but he's got a lot of low
cunning. His malapropic inappropriate speech isn't from stupidity, it's
from a total inability to care for anyone other than himself.

I really want to agree; mainly "cause what you say makes perfect sense, but
listening to him leads to only two possible conclusions.Either he's punch
drunk, or he"s got wet brain. And let's face it: this bum ain't no
contender. Bob Hickey

Old October 9th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
Annika1980

On Sep 25, 11:18 pm, "William Graham" wrote:
I have certainly done very
well by buying the best houses I could afford, and keeping my 401K
retirement money in the stock market.
Now, if I could just keep those liberal robin-hooders from stealing it
and giving it to the poor, there might be some left over for my
grandchildren

The worst thing you can do is to spoil your grandchildren by giving
them your amassed fortune. At least until after you buy me a 1DsMKIII
with it.

Old October 9th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
William Graham

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

The worst thing you can do is to spoil your grandchildren by giving
them your amassed fortune. At least until after you buy me a 1DsMKIII
with it.

Geez! You call $500K a fortune? That's just gratuity for most folks.
And
to take 40 years to amass that really isn't an accomplishment or something
to brag about.

1. It's closer to 850 K.
2. I got it by saving and investing, and not by being a rock star, movie
actor, or a 7 foot tall basketball player.
3. None of my contemporaries even came close to that....They all blew
every cent they earned on fast cars and booze.........
4. Let me know how much you save by the time you're 61.....(That's when I
retired)

Old October 9th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
William Graham

William Graham wrote:

Geez! You call $500K a fortune? That's just gratuity for most
folks. And
to take 40 years to amass that really isn't an accomplishment or
something to brag about.

1. It's closer to 850 K.

Not too bad, but you still missed the mark.

2. I got it by saving and investing, and not by being a rock star,
movie actor, or a 7 foot tall basketball player.

Maybe you should have lived life more? There's so many ways for the
average
person to make and save good money and enjoy the finer things in life.

3. None of my contemporaries even came close to that....They all
blew every cent they earned on fast cars and booze.........

It's hard to say. There's a happy medium between enjoying life and
amassing
wealth. I would rather live 45 great years and die instead of linger on
for
71 miserable one and have no enjoyment to show for it.

4. Let me know how much you save by the time you're 61.....(That's
when I retired)

I'll let you know at 50, that's my projected retirement date. I have two
kids in private school that will be off to further their education. I
have
additional money set aside for their tuition, but you never know what
crops
up in the future. The business takes care of itself and I can pretty much
run that remotely.

Well, at least you can project into the future....Most people just spend
whatever they make and expect social security to take care of their old
age......If I had done that, I would be living on about $1500 a month right
now....Which would put me in a trailer park somewhere. My goal was to amass
enough money to do two things:
1. Continue to live the same life style after retirement as I did the
month before I retired.
2. Never see my money depleted. That is, be able to maintain that life
style on the interest alone, and never have to dip into the principal.
I have accomplished both of these things. I am worth just as much now as
I was worth in 1996 right after I retired, and if anything, I have been
living better these last 11 years than I did when I was working.

Old October 9th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
William Graham

Annika1980 wrote:

The worst thing you can do is to spoil your grandchildren by giving
them your amassed fortune. At least until after you buy me a
1DsMKIII with it.

Geez! You call $500K a fortune?

Yeah, I do.

No surprise here. You should have learned how to save and invest. It's
sad
when a good portion of Americans don't know how to save or even have a
bank
account or a retirement/investment fund. There's no excuse for a person
not have at least $500K in savings and investments when they reach 40
years
of age. Well, at least you have goverment cheese to look forward to.

Well, If Hillary has her way, every baby will get $5,000 at birth....At a
7.3% return rate (which is about what you can get in the stock market) they
would turn that 5 grand into $640,000 by the time they were 70 years old,
and be able to retire very comfortably. Of course, we both know they won't
do that....Their mothers will have that 5 grand spent before they are 2
years old........

Old October 10th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

. ..

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

they do that here
the mother gets $5000 and its usually gone in a week, you see all the nice
expensive strollers and prams, mum in her new clothes and dad sitting behind
his new 52" high def plasma watching sports. we commonly call it the
"Plasma" bonus

Don Hirschberg

Old October 10th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

Oh and I forgot, that $640K might buy you a new car in 70 years time :-)
It definitely wont be worth retiring on.

Don Hirschberg

Old October 10th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
Vintage Monk[_3_]

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

We commonly call it

Just how many of you are there Atheist Chaplain
Old October 10th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.misc
William Graham

William Graham wrote:

Well, at least you can project into the future....Most people just
spend whatever they make and expect social security to take care of
their old age......If I had done that, I would be living on about
$1500 a month right now....Which would put me in a trailer park
somewhere. My goal was to amass enough money to do two things:

Yep, and it is sad that my savings gets to pay for these drains on
society.
What SS gives is criminal! With $1,500 a month it is insulting to working
people everywhere.

The amazing part is that if the average working person would save as
little
as15% of their income each pay period they will have some decent pocket
change in 40 years.

1. Continue to live the same life style after retirement as I did
the month before I retired.

That's the goal.

2. Never see my money depleted. That is, be able to maintain that
life style on the interest alone, and never have to dip into the
principal. I have accomplished both of these things. I am worth
just as much now as I was worth in 1996 right after I retired, and if
anything, I have been living better these last 11 years than I did
when I was working.

And truthfully this is a comfortable position to be in. I just couldn't
bear the thought of SS. Also, there's nothing wrong with piddling around
with a small business for pocket change once retired.

That's true, but it involves work.....If I've learned anything in 40 years
of working for a living, it's that there's no free lunch....Anything that
makes money is work...I see lots of young people who want to buy a storage
business or some such thing, because they think all you would have to do is
sit there with your hand out, and have people put money in it.....Actually,
you would be cleaning up messes all day long, and repairing the spaces where
people wrecked the locks, hasps, and the walls of the space
itself.......(and you'd be lucky that some idiot didn't operate a meth lab
in his space and burn your spaces all down) Every business where the owner
spends all his time on the links and expects the teenagers to operate it for
him fails....That's a given. So, when I retired, I looked around to see if
there was anything I wanted to do that had the potential of making money,
and I didn't see anything....All of my hobbies were fun for me, but losers
in the income department. So, I bit the bullet, and decided to just enjoy
myself taking pictures and playing my trumpet in various local bands.
Fortunately, I didn't have to work....