Something to be said for smartphones

Old March 25th 20, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David[_22_]

Default Something to be said for smartphones

On 25/03/2020 03:03, philo wrote:
On 3/24/20 11:19 AM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 3/24/20 11:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

Here, a barber has used a so called "pirate" outlet with an extension
cord wired right in to the power lines. Although we made eye
contact, my
phone was just held loosely at my waste and he did not notice I was
taking his photo.

'waist', and that's incredibly creepy and likely illegal.

"Creepy" doesn't have a definition in law.
As for illegal: the photo appears to be on a public street, where the
individual has no expectation of privacy. Now, if Philo uses this
photo commercially, he might need a model release. If he uses it in a
journalistic context, probably not. Of course, Colombia may have
different standards from the USA.

I took thousands of shots like this and it would have been
impossible to
sneak such shots with a camera.

of course it's possible.

people have been attacked or arrested for doing such things.

Arrested? What's the charge?

I deleted that "no spam" guy a long time ago.

He indeed is a troll

I'm glad I remembered correctly! :-)

FWIW, I feel as if I've been on holiday WITH you for the past few weeks!

Thank you. :-D
Old March 26th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 3/25/20 8:11 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 05:47:46 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
philo wrote:
On 3/24/20 9:03 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:19:53 -0400, Ken Hart
wrote:

Of course, Colombia may have
different standards from the USA.

Or none at all. I sure wouldn't want to tangle with the legal system
there, assuming there happens to be one where you get into trouble.
And street justice from an angry subject of your photo? Good luck. How
friendly does that barber look to you?

Though he does not look to friendly we found that most Colombians are
generally warm and caring.

On the Metro, seats are *always* given to women and the elderly. I'm 70
and had to smile and refuse, a dozen times.

As to the justice system, the police are everywhere and generally 25
year old men.
More there to help than threaten.

The crime rate is lower that most US cities and for the most part, petty.

The used appliance store , at night just lets their stuff sit there a
few feet from the sidewalk.
There is now even a door on the building!

Most people know of Medellin as the most dangerous place on Earth...and
it was 25 years ago.

The military went in and cleaned things up.

Very family oriented here is a typical scene, father and son

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hnLH8ZUd2Es6D9Jo7

man enjoying his beer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r2PUiRETRhjKwbLZ7

typical street scene
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uq8fccdRzHQUc2ZT8

Hey. I have wheels. I'm hauling freignt. I can use the damn road

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6QwdEwrXcirM4WfB6

It seems that clandestine, opportunistic, candid street photography with a
smartphone does not lend itself to thoughtful framing, or composition.

well of but sometimes holding a DSLR camera with a kit bag around your neck isn't the best way of getting a candid photo.

Philo, I know that you could have done better with your regular cameras, or
if you had taken a tad more care, and/or deliberation with your smartphone.
After all the phone I.Q. Is certainly good enough.

That could also affect the type of picture you wish to take regarding the end result.

Yep.

Whenever I pull out a real camera it attracts a lot of attention...even
if I'm just holding it.

Virtually everyone there was carrying a smartphone so never noticed me
other than that there was a gringo in their midst. So much sun there, my
skin turned brown very fast and we dressed to blend it.

We knew we were getting the hang of it when people actually came up to
us and asked directions.

The streets are such a twisted mess and with so few signs, even the
natives get lost.

I loved that because I can get lost in my own home town.

Occasionally I just pretended I was talking.

Old March 26th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

wrote:

[...]

Â* Thank you. :-D

Thank you, that was my intent.

Since most of us are all pretty much shut in...I am going to continue to
post my photos on Facebook
Old March 26th 20, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Who said anything about using a DSLR for candid street photography?
There are cameras that are not as conspicuous as a DSLR such as the
Fujifilm X-Pro, X100, and X-E series cameras which are well suited to the
purpose. However, there have been plenty of very good, even great, well
composed, candid street shots captured with a variety of cameras which are
not exactly inconspicuous, including Speed Graphics, TLRs, SLRS, and DSLRs.

Philo, I know that you could have done better with your regular cameras, or
if you had taken a tad more care, and/or deliberation with your smartphone.
After all the phone I.Q. Is certainly good enough.

That could also affect the type of picture you wish to take regarding the end result.

It is always the photographer who controls composition, framing, and intent
regardless of camera used, and neglecting thoughtfulness in the process of
capturing an image gives you sloppy results which might, or might not be
fixable with post processing.

Savageduck
Old March 26th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.computer.workshop
David[_22_]

wrote:

[...]

*He indeed is a troll* [Edit: 'nospam' *IS* a *TROLL*]

I'm glad I remembered correctly! :-)

FWIW, I feel as if I've been on holiday WITH you for the past few weeks!

Â*Â* Thank you. :-D

Thank you, that was my intent.

No worries! :-)

Since most of us are all pretty much shut in...I am going to continue to
post my photos on Facebook

That's good news! If you also want to 'play' on Usenet, you are invited
to join MY Usenet group, where folk just will not believe that I'm
actually in charge! ;-)

(Group added to this post)

--
David
Group Moderator ACW
Old March 26th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

wrote:

[...]

Sorry but I think you should have framed your comment with a little more
thought

Not ****ed at you but gee whiz.

I know you are a decent guy and not a troll, but when one is walking
quite fast in a crowd of people there is no such thing as the luxury of
stopping even half a second to compose...especially when the camera is
at waist level.

By taking literally thousands of shots and deleting most of them
afterwards, I did improve my aim a bit though.

Finally...you obviously missed my point that these photos were taken
with no intent to display them mounted and framed. They were there to
give my friends back on Facebook a good feel of what it was like to walk
(quickly) down the streets of Medellin.
Old March 26th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

wrote:

[...]

*He indeed is a troll*Â*Â*Â* [Edit: 'nospam' *IS* a *TROLL*]

I'm glad I remembered correctly! :-)

FWIW, I feel as if I've been on holiday WITH you for the past few weeks!

Â*Â* Thank you. :-D

Thank you, that was my intent.

No worries! :-)

Since most of us are all pretty much shut in...I am going to continue
to post my photos on Facebook

That's good news! If you also want to 'play' on Usenet, you are invited
to join MY Usenet group, where folk just will not believe that I'm
actually in charge! ;-)

(Group added to this post)

OK. I added it but am not active much on Usenet anymore...but due to the
shut-in have increased activity

Old March 26th 20, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

OK! I understand your intent, sorry if we were engaged in a
misunderstanding.

Savageduck
Old March 26th 20, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

philo wrote:

[...]

Whew, glad you did not get ****ed at me but I had a great thought.

It would be cool to just set up a huge view camera and see what happens !!!

Looking back now....the entire two months we were there, I only saw one
actual camera being used.

We made it it point however to stay far away from places tourists would go.
Old March 27th 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David[_22_]

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 05:47:46 UTC, SavageduckÂ* wrote:
philo wrote:

[...]

Hi Philo :-)

May I presume upon you to tell Savageduck that you and I are friends on
FB and that over many years we've had no 'falling out'?

Explain, too, that I bought your, and your wife's, signed books and
complied with your request to pay you only AFTER I'd received them. Folk
like Diesel claim I wouldn't ever pay for services rendered! ;-)

Savageduck has me blocked and will not accept my genuine apology. :-(

I really liked him and wanted him to be a Usenet friend. I'm not quite
sure if it was simply because of using his real Christian name on one
occasion when I was somewhat frustrated with his responses.

--
David