Browser/Viewer for RAW (NEF) Files

Old September 18th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default Browser/Viewer for RAW (NEF) Files

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
It is alleged that Chris Savage claimed:

Do you want full-view capabilities for the browser, or will thumbnails
do? ACDSee Photo Manager can't do full-view on NEF files, but it does
show me the thumbnails. ACDSee Photo Manager 9 is the current version,
I have v8, and the current price is less than a third the cost of
ACDSee Pro.

v9 can do full-res RAW viewing. I don't remember v8 not doing it, but
bow to your experience.

It does not for the D40x. What camera do you have?

I downloaded the 30-day trial, and it does not do it for the D80
either... 8(

I do prefer full-view capabilities and the capability to jump from there
to the editor of my choice. It doesn't look like ACDSee 9 fills the bill.

Thanks anyway!
Old September 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
JR

In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

As a newbie to RAW workflow, I purchased Nikon's CaptureNX software
based upon it's editing capabilities.

Now that my library of Nikon Raw (NEF) files is growing, I see that the
browsing capability of this software is painfully S-L-O-W. So, now I'm
looking for a browser that displays NEF files with good speed and would
work well with CaptureNX.

I've downloaded the beta of ACDSee Pro2. While it seems to meet the
criteria that I'm looking for, I'd rather not spend another $129 on it.

So, I downloaded Irfanview 4 (shareware) and it's plug-ins. The website
for Irfanview says that it reads NEF files, but I can't get it to do
that. I have all of the plug-ins installed, but loading an NEF file
just displays a corrupted little image.

Am I missing something in getting Irfanview to work with NEFs? Or is
there another free or low-cost viewer/browser that someone can recommend?

Thanks!

View NX...its free, and its FAST...perfect for browsing, selecting and
then it will open them in Capture NX for editing....Nice and slick...

JR
Old September 18th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that BRH claimed:

v9 can do full-res RAW viewing. I don't remember v8 not doing it, but
bow to your experience.

It does not for the D40x. What camera do you have?

I downloaded the 30-day trial, and it does not do it for the D80
either... 8(
I do prefer full-view capabilities and the capability to jump from there
to the editor of my choice. It doesn't look like ACDSee 9 fills the bill.

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #106.
If my supreme command center comes under attack, I will immediately
flee to safety in my prepared escape pod and direct the defenses from
there. I will not wait until the troops break into my inner sanctum to
attempt this.
Old September 19th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Savage

On 2007-09-18, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
It is alleged that Chris Savage claimed:

Do you want full-view capabilities for the browser, or will thumbnails
do? ACDSee Photo Manager can't do full-view on NEF files, but it does
show me the thumbnails. ACDSee Photo Manager 9 is the current version,
I have v8, and the current price is less than a third the cost of
ACDSee Pro.

v9 can do full-res RAW viewing. I don't remember v8 not doing it, but
bow to your experience.

It does not for the D40x. What camera do you have?

D200, but I can read other folks' D40 and D80 NEFs.

I remember having all kinds of weirdness when I tried out ACD pro a year
or so ago, but haven't had any problem with v9.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
Old September 19th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
BRH

JR wrote:

In article , BRH BRH
wrote:

[...]

Just downloaded ViewNX and took a quick look around. That looks like it
will fit the bill nicely -- and the price is right! Thanks!
Old September 19th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Usenet Messages

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:35:13 -0400, BRH BRH wrote:

So, I downloaded Irfanview 4 (shareware) and it's plug-ins. The website
for Irfanview says that it reads NEF files, but I can't get it to do
that. I have all of the plug-ins installed, but loading an NEF file
just displays a corrupted little image.

In my experience, Irfanview (freeware, btw) loads the preview images
if the RAW file has one imbedded, otherwise it uses the RAW data
directly. Maybe the program/plug-in is having problems reading the
imbedded preview image correctly?

Try loading a RAW with and without imbedded preview JPGs.
Old September 20th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

BRH wrote:

Just downloaded ViewNX and took a quick look around. That looks like
it will fit the bill nicely -- and the price is right! Thanks!

It's nice to see that Nikon have finally brought out a NEF browser to
replace the rather dated, but good "Nikon View" software. The only
alternative up to now has been "Picture Project" which got removed withing a
few minutes of being installed as it was useless! I also notice that they
have updated "Nikon Transfer" as well which looks quite good.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old September 25th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Dennis' Newsgroups

BRH wrote in message . ..
[...]

Try Fastone Maxview - it is quite fast viewing Canon CR2 RAW images for me.

Dennis