photo book on the Australian outback

Old August 1st 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
T. Heslenfeld[_3_]

Default photo book on the Australian outback

My upcoming photo book 'Hot' on the Australian outback is now available in a
limited edition. Check out www.hot-the-book.com for a sneak preview and
more information.

The book tells the story of a trip I made earlier this year with a 4WD
bushcamper, doing ten thousand kilometres of dirt roads and tracks, all the
way from Adelaide to Darwin.

Anybody interested is welcome.

T. Heslenfeld
travel photographer
The Netherlands
www.thijsheslenfeld.com
office at thijsheslenfeld dot com

Old August 2nd 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
The pixel Bandit

T. Heslenfeld wrote:
My upcoming photo book 'Hot' on the Australian outback is now available in a
limited edition. Check out www.hot-the-book.com for a sneak preview and
more information.

The book tells the story of a trip I made earlier this year with a 4WD
bushcamper, doing ten thousand kilometres of dirt roads and tracks, all the
way from Adelaide to Darwin.

Anybody interested is welcome.

Oh Wow... Isn't this exciting... In an air conditioned Land
Cruiser too? Oh my, I suppose you had to rough it with a gas
stove too did you?

I remember surveying the Artesian basin out that way in 1963
when I worked for Slumberer. It was real bush in those days.
I've still got about 800 4x5 negatives from that job.

In 1983, when I worked for another exploration firm - this
time looking for Gold. I went from Leonora in WA through the
Victoria desert, putting my faith in the surveyor knowing
where he was going. I've got about 1600 mostly colour slides
from that trip.

I remember too looking at your Antarctica photos and thinking:
Surely the collection my studio manager's husband took during
winter there in 1993 would make a more saleable book than one
produced from happy snaps on a bloody tourist boat?

Your descriptions all sound like you really roughed it. I'll
tell you what roughing it is son... When you're broke and
20,000 head of beef cattle are starving and you can't afford a
new wing for the DC2 you use to drop feed to them so you drag
a wing from a crashed DC3 430 miles with a couple of camels
and patch up the old girl with one wing longer than the other
so you can feed your stock.

Or maybe when the Cooper creek flows in all three channels and
it's 60 miles wide. You take a small boat and try to rescue
some stock on an island soon to be underwater and end up
swimming them back because a log sank the boat.

I don't know who you are mate but I'll tell you something.
Selling sand to the Arabs is a trick you haven't mastered.
Your last crapshot at getting publicity when you asked
aus.photo subscribers what sort of camera you ought to use was
pretty pathetic but this one is about as bad as it gets.

There's more quality photos of Australia and it's indigenous
population in their natural environment in my back room than
you'll ever get driving up the highway in an air conditioned
land cruiser. Don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes
again mate.

--

I'm coming back as a Pelican...
Watch out because I'm staying the worlds biggest ass-hole!
Old August 2nd 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: The book tells the story of a trip I made earlier this year with a 4WD
: bushcamper, doing ten thousand kilometres of dirt roads and tracks, all the
: way from Adelaide to Darwin.
:
: Anybody interested is welcome.
:
:
: Oh Wow... Isn't this exciting... In an air conditioned Land
: Cruiser too? Oh my, I suppose you had to rough it with a gas
: stove too did you?
:
: I remember surveying the Artesian basin out that way in 1963
: when I worked for Slumberer.

I know you don't believe me, but that spellchecker is making you look like a
jackass. ;^)

[...]

Doug, I'll grant that you've probably been all over Australia and know the
country pretty well. But if you think we believe all the foregoing bullhockey,
you're just as crazy as that Dutch author.

Bob
Old August 2nd 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-08-01 18:27:33 -0700, The pixel Bandit said:

T. Heslenfeld wrote:
My upcoming photo book 'Hot' on the Australian outback is now available in a
limited edition. Check out www.hot-the-book.com for a sneak preview and
more information.

The book tells the story of a trip I made earlier this year with a 4WD
bushcamper, doing ten thousand kilometres of dirt roads and tracks, all the
way from Adelaide to Darwin.

Anybody interested is welcome.

Oh Wow... Isn't this exciting... In an air conditioned Land Cruiser
too? Oh my, I suppose you had to rough it with a gas stove too did you?

I remember surveying the Artesian basin out that way in 1963 when I
worked for Slumberer. It was real bush in those days. I've still got
about 800 4x5 negatives from that job.

Doug, Just how old were you in 1963?
I was 14 back then, I am 60 now, so I guess you must be somewhere
around 70 now.
I must be more respectful.

Savageduck

Old August 2nd 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"The pixel Bandit" wrote in message
T. Heslenfeld wrote:
[...]

Its Coopers Creek actually, was there last week to check.

Old August 2nd 09, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
The pixel Bandit

Robert Coe wrote:
..

Doug, I'll grant that you've probably been all over Australia and know the
country pretty well. But if you think we believe all the foregoing bullhockey,
you're just as crazy as that Dutch author.

Bob

Well there you go Bob. I suppose because you never saw Davey
Crockett shoot anyone you don't believe what he did either?

This country is newly discovered compared to the USA. Not a
lie in what I said earlier. Many of our pioneers are still
alive and we never carried side arms. Dogs were enough for us.

The guy who swam his cattle back was married to a tribal
aboriginal woman, had 8 kids and had never seen a city with
more than 1000 people in it when I met him. It was on his
"To-Do" list before he died.

To repay the Charleville dentist for flying out to fix his
abscessed tooth, he asked him over the peddle radio what he
could do.
http://www.questacon.edu.au/indepth/...r_service.html

The Dentist said the kids in the Kindergaden needed a pet,
were there any young camels about?

What follows is documented fact mate... The stockman went out
in an old ex-war surplus Austin Gypsie and ran down a young
camel. He tied it's legs to stop it thrashing around and got
back on the peddle radio when he returned to the homestead to
see if the mail plane (A Douglas DC3 - sister plane of the one
that crashed out near the French line in Poeppels corner)
could drop in and pick up a package for the Charleville dentist.

Were it not for one of the crew from Down Under Well Services
(who had a contract to log artesian bores in the region
looking for oil), photographing the dents in the side of the
plane where the camel kicked the hell out of it - and asking
me to develop the film in my mobile darkroom, it may have been
just a folklore story. For many years that camel was a pet to
the kids in Charleville.

Charleville had the only ISDN phone service for hundreds of
miles. The freelance TV cameramen used to plug into it to
upload their news footage... Those who had those cumbersome,
new fangled Video cameras with monstrous "Umatic" portable
tape recorders that struggled to record 20 minutes of time
base corrected video before the batteries died.

I spent 6 days sitting on top of an all wheel drive
international with air suspension that had the company
darkroom in it, bogged past the axles drinking beer with the
driver of a road train carrying grog as we waited half way
between Wyandra and Charleville for a council Grader to come
and pull us out.

You haven't got a clue, Bob, what we did to survive as this
vast land as it was (very) slowly populated. You'll probably
never spend your later years with foot long steel rods and
titanium bolts holding you back together ... A legacy of hard
work we (those my age) did in making this country
transverseable in air conditioned comfort for the likes of
Heslenfeld and other tourists who think they've got something
unique with their happy snaps of pet kangaroos and zoo
animals. http://www.d-mac.info/examples/spine.htm

If you really have any interest in Australia's history, you
can buy my (pictorial) book on the subject. It'll be on sale
world wide late next year... Nothing happy snap tourism in it.

Old August 2nd 09, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_4_]

The pixel Bandit wrote:

I remember surveying the Artesian basin out that way in 1963
when I worked for Slumberer. It was real bush in those days.
I've still got about 800 4x5 negatives from that job.

....and tell that to the youth of today and they won't beleive you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old August 2nd 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:33:37 +1000, The pixel Bandit wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: .
:
[...]

OK, OK. I misread it. I thought YOU were claiming to have done all those
things yourself. Being stuck in the mud for six days? That I do believe!
You're lucky the trucks were carrying beer!

Bob
Old August 2nd 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 21:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2009-08-01 18:27:33 -0700, The pixel Bandit said:
:
: T. Heslenfeld wrote:
[...]

I don't have to. I'm as old as he is. ;^)

Bob
Old August 2nd 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_4_]

: T. Heslenfeld wrote:
[...]

Then I will leave you two chronological equals to have at it, and
respectfully observe from the sidelines. :-)

Savageduck