Do you guys sell the negative or jpg file to customer?

Old April 1st 04, 07:38 AM
BlackVelvet

Default Do you guys sell the negative or jpg file to customer?

or just give it to them along with photos?

****************************
~ Proverb 28 - 2: When there is moral rot within a nation, its government
topples easily.~

Old April 1st 04, 11:37 AM
Mxsmanic

BlackVelvet writes:

or just give it to them along with photos?

I usually provide customers with scans. In some cases, I'm willing to
part with the negatives, if there is no supplementary value to me of the
photos for stock uses. Unlike most photographers, I only charge for the
photography and a one-time ("royalty-free") fee for reproduction rights,
and then the customer can do anything he wants with the photos, so if I
have no reason to want to ever reuse the images, there's no reason not
to give him the negatives, if he wants them. And since scanning takes a
huge amount of time, this is actually a better option for me as well, if
I don't need to keep possession of the negatives.

I do retain the copyright in all cases, but the rights I grant to the
client are so liberal that he can essentially do whatever he wants with
the images, anyway.

This is all for individual clients. For corporate and business clients,
I'm not quite so generous. They pay for the specific images and uses
they want.

Old April 1st 04, 12:41 PM
Randall Ainsworth

or just give it to them along with photos?

I didn't when I was in business and wouldn't if I were doing it today.
You can make good money on reprints. Plus, quality control is in your
hands.
Old April 1st 04, 03:49 PM
SD

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

or just give it to them along with photos?

I didn't when I was in business and wouldn't if I were doing it today.
You can make good money on reprints. Plus, quality control is in your
hands.

If I had a photographer take a picture for me, I'd want the negative and
all rights associated with the picture. For example I'd never hire
someone to click my wedding pics/family pics if I didnt have the
negatives. I want those for life, not for the life of the photographers
business who as you say makes good money from reprints. IMHO the
photographer has made his share of the money in the fee for clicking the
picture. Also I would not want my pictures to be displayed anywhere in
the photographers shop or used as stock photos or anything else without
my explcit permission (which I would never give).

As for film this is easy to enforce but digitals is another issue, the
photographer can just make file copies for himself, but I can tell you
I'd be mighty ****ed to see a photo appear somewhere that I was unaware
of and would never recommend that photographer.
Old April 1st 04, 06:15 PM
Walt

Historically, the photographs (the negatives or raw digital images in
today's world) have always been the property of the photographer, not the
client. We are artists, not technicians, and our work belongs to us. The
client simply purchases the right to view, publish, or own reproductions of
our work.

However, back when I was doing wedding photography, I did allow my clients
to purchase the negatives from me. In fact, I prefered that they do. I
charged a hefty fee for the negs, but then I didn't have to put out any more
time and effort hand holding weapy brides and dealing with grooms trying to
prove their manhood by "negotiating" with the photographer.

I never sold the negs on my other work. Nor would I. Clients with "SD"'s
attitude were referred elsewhere. Life's too short.

Walt

Old April 1st 04, 08:56 PM
Mxsmanic

SD writes:

If I had a photographer take a picture for me, I'd want the negative and
all rights associated with the picture.

Your expectation is unrealistic unless you are paying a great deal for
the photos. Even then, you generally won't get the copyright itself,
jsut reproduction rights.

For example I'd never hire
someone to click my wedding pics/family pics if I didnt have the
negatives. I want those for life, not for the life of the photographers
business who as you say makes good money from reprints.

Here again, you may have to shop around for a long time.

IMHO the photographer has made his share of the money in the fee for clicking the
picture.

That is often true, which is why I don't try to make money off prints.
The exception is photos that have additional value beyond what they
represent to the original client commissioning them (as stock photos,
for example).

Also I would not want my pictures to be displayed anywhere in
the photographers shop or used as stock photos or anything else without
my explcit permission (which I would never give).

Now I'm beginning to wonder if you can find anyone at all who meets all
your conditions. Few photographers are going to relinquish this right.

As for film this is easy to enforce but digitals is another issue, the
photographer can just make file copies for himself, but I can tell you
I'd be mighty ****ed to see a photo appear somewhere that I was unaware
of and would never recommend that photographer.

You'd be mighty lucky to find a photographer in the first place, given
all the conditions you impose.

Old April 1st 04, 10:53 PM
ian green

"Randall Ainsworth" :

I didn't when I was in business and wouldn't if I were doing it today.
You can make good money on reprints. Plus, quality control is in your
hands.

let me insert my question on topic in your discussion

is it common practice to give away negatives/scans to photo agency without
any obligations from the agency?
i have just that case: photo stock agency wants all my negatives (return
after 45 days) then i should wait for "their call".
i called 'em suckers, they said it's "common practice"....

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old April 2nd 04, 06:46 AM
Marc 182

In article ,
says...
SD writes:

[...]

No such right exists. While the photographer does own copyright to the
photos he takes, that does not give him the "right" to use images of
customers for commercial purposes. Only if the customer (now the model)
signs a model release does the photographer get that right, and even
then the photographer must now confer something of value in return.

Use of an image in a portfolio or on the wall of the shop is debatable
as being commercial. Selling stock photography of customers without
their express permission is a definite no-no. Photographers have been
badly burned in court on this after being "caught" by their customers.

As for film this is easy to enforce but digitals is another issue, the
photographer can just make file copies for himself, but I can tell you
I'd be mighty ****ed to see a photo appear somewhere that I was unaware
of and would never recommend that photographer.

You'd have a right to be. If your image turned up in an ad somewhere,
and you never signed a release, you'd have an actionable case.

Marc
Old April 2nd 04, 12:37 PM
Randall Ainsworth

If I had a photographer take a picture for me, I'd want the negative and
all rights associated with the picture. For example I'd never hire
someone to click my wedding pics/family pics if I didnt have the
negatives. I want those for life, not for the life of the photographers
business who as you say makes good money from reprints. IMHO the
photographer has made his share of the money in the fee for clicking the
picture. Also I would not want my pictures to be displayed anywhere in
the photographers shop or used as stock photos or anything else without
my explcit permission (which I would never give).

It's not just about the money. If I give you the negatives, you take
them to Wally World for reprints (assuming the can print from 2 1/4
square) and they look like crap...people will ask who took those crappy
pictures. It reflects negatively (no pun intended) on the
photographer.