2 questions about digital cameras

Old December 21st 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

Default 2 questions about digital cameras

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:09:41 -0500, Neil Jones wrote:

Most of the current cameras have video recording capabilities. While it
is not most important thing for me, I have been checking/comparing
cameras that fall in the G10(Prosumer or whatever) class of cameras.

The battery life is another thing that is very important for me as well.
I have ruled out Canon Powershot SX10 IS, since they take AA batteries
(but recommend NiMH).

That's surprising. I don't have a G10 manual, but the G7 that it's
based upon rates the battery life at 220 images/charge (CIPA test
using 50% full power flash). The SX10 IS does better, rated at 340
images per set of alkalines and 600 images/charge using NiMH cells,
also per the CIPA test. Canon's cameras typically get 2 to 3 times
the number of shots in non-CIPA tests since the flash isn't used.
With NiMH cells that should result in from 600 to well over 1,000
shots per charge, depending on how often the flash is used. The G10
is newer and much better than the G7 and its NB-7L battery has
greater capacity than the G7's NB-2LH, but I'd be surprised if it
reaches the battery life of the SX10 IS. I think that you'd be
satisfied with any camera whose battery life is as good as, or
slightly less than that of the SX100 IS. If you're ruling out the
SX10 IS because it uses AA cells and not because of its assumed
battery life, that's another matter, and since it's your money, you
also get to be called "The Decider".

Old December 21st 08, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron Hunter

SMS wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

The bottom line is still the availability of AA batteries. Yesterday,
my wife's camera showed symptoms of low battery (it turned out to have
gotten wet), and since we had taken about all the pictures we wanted, I
did nothing about it, but I COULD have just driven 2 blocks and bought
AA alkaline batteries. With lithium ion batteries, this would not have
been an option.

The camera with Li-Ion batteries would have been far, far less likely to
have shown symptoms of low battery, real or imagined. That's the real
bottom line.

You may not have noticed, but ALL batteries run down at some point, and
lithium ion batteries are much like NiMH in that they have a pretty
sudden drop off of the power curve. It is always nice to have option.
Old December 21st 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Jones[_3_]

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

:-)) Yes, I am "The Decider". I like that!!

There were other small features here and, there that were missing on the
SX10 that made me take it of the list. I did the read the reviews of
Panasonic's Lumix FZ28 and I liked what I read about the features,
battery life and other accessories (which are limited and not pocket
busting). I have ordered this camera.

My old Canon G3 was really really good. I took about 10000 pics on it
and it still was chugging along. The person who bought the G3 from me
is very happy with it too.

In a couple of years from now, I hope my next digital camera will be a
DSLR.

Thank you again every one for a vibrant discussion on the "battery
science" and "battery economy".

Happy Holidays everyone!

NJ
Old December 21st 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 03:12:16 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote in :

SMS wrote:

The camera with Li-Ion batteries would have been far, far less likely to
have shown symptoms of low battery, real or imagined. That's the real
bottom line.

You may not have noticed, but ALL batteries run down at some point, and
lithium ion batteries are much like NiMH in that they have a pretty
sudden drop off of the power curve. It is always nice to have option.

True, but many Li-ion batteries are now "smart", with the ability to
tell you pretty accurately how much charge is left.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 21st 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:14:07 -0500, Neil Jones
wrote in
:

I did the read the reviews of
Panasonic's Lumix FZ28 and I liked what I read about the features,
battery life and other accessories (which are limited and not pocket
busting). I have ordered this camera.

I think you'll be delighted, as my friends are that bought that camera
on my recommendation.
Old December 21st 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote in :

SMS wrote:

The camera with Li-Ion batteries would have been far, far less likely to
have shown symptoms of low battery, real or imagined. That's the real
bottom line.

You may not have noticed, but ALL batteries run down at some point, and
lithium ion batteries are much like NiMH in that they have a pretty
sudden drop off of the power curve. It is always nice to have option.

True, but many Li-ion batteries are now "smart", with the ability to
tell you pretty accurately how much charge is left.

I have that on the new camera. Shot it down to 0 yesterday in the
studio with the batt indicator decrementing by 1% at a time, then the
'dead batt' symbol came on. Shot about 5 more frames and into the
charger it went. Nice to have a feel for how fast it's draining.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.