Diafine - Why not?

Old March 7th 04, 06:12 PM
NapperWm

Default Diafine - Why not?

I have been doing B&W processing for 30 years and have always used D-76 or D-76
1:1 for all of my processing. Seemed to work good all of these years.
After reading about diafine this week I ordered some. Seems like it could be
the best general all around developer.

Why don't more people use it? I just read about it!

Am I in for a rude suprise when I finish my first roll?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Bill
Old March 7th 04, 07:17 PM
Jorge Omar

I use Diafine with TX to push film (I expose at 1200).
It doesn't really push - a Zone 1 test shows the film to be EI 400 or
about, so there's a lack of shadow details but there's not the classical
blown highlight look one gets from pushed film.
I really like the loks of night photos with this combo, and had good
results also with flash.

I've tried TMX with it @160 and really disliked the results - but then
I've never managed to get good negs from TMX (natural light).

Jorge

(NapperWm) wrote in
:

Old March 7th 04, 08:11 PM
Frank Pittel

I've been using Diafine for about a year now have been getting good results
from it. I found that the neagitves have a consistant contrast.

The lack of any zone system controls mean that I don't use it as my standard
developer. I like using it for very low or very high contrast scenes which
are to far out for zone system expansion and contraction. It's also nice when
using roll film since I can just go into point and shoot mode without worrying
about scene contrast.

You're going to find it's a nice developer. It also lasts almost for ever. The
first batch I mixed about a year ago is still in regular use and developing film
without trouble.

-------------------

Old March 7th 04, 08:55 PM
Ralf R. Radermacher

Frank Pittel wrote:

You're going to find it's a nice developer. It also lasts almost for ever.

Haven't used that stuff for at least 20 years. How is the grain compared
to products like ID-11 or XTOL?

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old March 7th 04, 09:11 PM
Frank Pittel

Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote:

: You're going to find it's a nice developer. It also lasts almost for ever.

: Haven't used that stuff for at least 20 years. How is the grain compared
: to products like ID-11 or XTOL?

Good question. I've only used Diafine with 4x5 and 120 and even then I rarely
make any bigger then 8x10 prints. I've also never used XTOL or ID-11.

I can say that when using TMX and TMY with Diafine the grain is as good as
using D76 1:1 and Tmax developers 1:9.

-------------------

Old March 9th 04, 01:52 AM
Sherman

"NapperWm" wrote in message
I have been doing B&W processing for 30 years and have always used D-76 or

D-76
1:1 for all of my processing. Seemed to work good all of these years.
After reading about diafine this week I ordered some. Seems like it could

be
the best general all around developer.

Why don't more people use it? I just read about it!

Am I in for a rude suprise when I finish my first roll?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Bill

Bill,
I've been using Diafine for maybe a year and a half, something like that
anyway. I use it primarily with 4x5 and sometimes with 120.

I have found that for normal contrast scenes and higher it produces
excellent negatives. For low contrast scenes the negatives are less good
(but still usable). My main developer is TMax RS diluted 1:9 and the
results with Diafine and the normal to high contrast scenes is comparable.

I have found that while the Diafine instructions recommend using a higher
than normal EI I get good results shooting at the rated speed and this also
helps a bit with low contrast scenes.

In the end only you can decide. Give it a try, it is relatively inexpensive
and last almost forever so if you only use it occasionally it won't go bad.
I have to admit it is fun to occasionally go into the darkroom and use
Diafine. No worry about temperature, no worry about time and basically no
worry about agitation.

Sherman
http://www.dunnamphoto.com